Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i need EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do i need EGR?

So my stepdad and i have been going back and forth on whether or not he needs to get an LS^ intake manifold with EGR provisions. We both have 99 SS M6s and he swapped his LS1 out for an LS6, but still has the LS1 intake manifold. I had to pass smog up here in Chico, CA. I had a hell of a time until i figured out it was my EGR pipe that was leaking... so i disconnected it, and the smog guy said you dont need EGR anymore, then i passed. We are looking for an LS6 intake manifold for his camaro, but he thinks he needs EGR, i passed with mine how it is, and i said he doesnt need it. Can someone chime in and let me know the facts of life? Thanks... this is all in CA, too.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really depends on how strict your emissions rules/location are. Some inspect to ensure that ALL emissions provisions are there (IE EGR)....some don't care as long as it passes the sniffer.

If you can get rid of it (and make it look stock) AND you can get a tune that will pass the sniffer, you'll probably be fine.

-Will
Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Chico - my college town. Typically they will fail you on visual if an emissions component is missing. Sounds like your guy was playing pretty loosely, luckily for you. I would use an LS6 with emissions if you have access to one. Another thing I have considered if I have to deal with CA inspection again, is to cut out the EGR bracket from the LS1, glue it to the LS6, cut the pipe, and attach it so it looks functional. Then tune out EGR.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have it incase. It doesnt hurt at all other than taking up space. Either gut and plastic weld the LS1 fitting on or tap in a new fitting. You definitely need EGR, i didnt pass with my stock LT1 (CAI/muffler) with a bad EGR 2 years ago
Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

As said before every inspector is different but to go 100% by the books it needs to be on the car. The inspector computers and the sticker under the hood states what emission controls came on that model car. So a 98 F body will have different stickers from a 02 F body even though its basically the same car
Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Another thing I have considered if I have to deal with CA inspection again, is to cut out the EGR bracket from the LS1, glue it to the LS6, cut the pipe, and attach it so it looks functional. Then tune out EGR.

I have thought about doing that also, but I "heard" there was a way to test for this even though the EGR has been tuned out. I think the op was very lucky to get an "easy" smog tech, and I definitely wouldn't count on that happening again. Lack of an emission control device should be an instant fail.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 PM

Here, I just found this. Not sure if this is something that is standard protocol during a smog test, but is a way I've heard they can check to see if your EGR is actually functioning. Too bad a smog tech can't chime in, because I'd love to know if this is a smog function that is tested for proper operation. I have an SLP LS6 intake, and getting the EGR sealed is such a PITA. I'm afraid to swap my exhaust manifolds again, for fear I may not have an adequate way to seal the stupid EGR. It may work to say your motor is an 01-02 without EGR, but I don't like lying and don't want to give them a reason to start varifying numbers on my heads etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The engine side of the system can also become plugged with carbon deposits preventing flow of gases. A quick way to check for this is to apply vacuum to the EGR valve and monitor engine operation. Assuming the EGR valve is ok the engine should begin to stumble and possibly even stall as vacuum is applied to the valve and the pintle opens. Your DPFE voltage should also approach 4.5 volts. If you notice no engine performance change then you are not flowing EGR gases. Turn the engine off and apply full vacuum to the EGR valve, and then release quickly. If the valve is working you should notice a thump type noise as it closes. Do this a couple of times to verify the valve is operating properly.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by LSXnorcal
Here, I just found this. Not sure if this is something that is standard protocol during a smog test, but is a way I've heard they can check to see if your EGR is actually functioning. The engine side of the system can also become plugged with carbon deposits preventing flow of gases. A quick way to check for this is to apply vacuum to the EGR valve and monitor engine operation. Assuming the EGR valve is ok the engine should begin to stumble and possibly even stall as vacuum is applied to the valve and the pintle opens. Your DPFE voltage should also approach 4.5 volts. If you notice no engine performance change then you are not flowing EGR gases. Turn the engine off and apply full vacuum to the EGR valve, and then release quickly. If the valve is working you should notice a thump type noise as it closes. Do this a couple of times to verify the valve is operating properly.
No way a smog tech is going to get into a diagnostic like that. AFAIK, CA smog consists of three phases: Visual inspection to check that all components are present and in compliance; OBDII check to see if any codes come up; and sniffer test to see that emissions meet standards. You should be able to pass all three with "fake" EGR as I suggested above.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:17 AM

No way a smog tech is going to get into a diagnostic like that. AFAIK, CA smog consists of three phases: Visual inspection to check that all components are present and in compliance; OBDII check to see if any codes come up; and sniffer test to see that emissions meet standards. You should be able to pass all three with "fake" EGR as I suggested above.
Hmmm, I don't know if I'd count on that. Here's a good read for you.

http://www.smogtips.com/egr.cfm
Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by LSXnorcal
Hmmm, I don't know if I'd count on that. Here's a good read for you. http://www.smogtips.com/egr.cfm
Thanks. Here's a quote from that doc: Now as for the Enhanced Smog Test, the smog test machine reads NOx emissions through the tailpipe which eliminates the need for the smog check technician to inspect the EGR system physically.

To my knowledge our cars will typically pass the sniffer test with EGR disabled.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Thanks. Here's a quote from that doc: Now as for the Enhanced Smog Test, the smog test machine reads NOx emissions through the tailpipe which eliminates the need for the smog check technician to inspect the EGR system physically.

To my knowledge our cars will typically pass the sniffer test with EGR disabled.
I sure hope so, cause I'd like to fake one up to a FAST intake one of these days.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

It will pass as long as the car does not produce too excess of emissions. The whole point of having the EGR is to lower emissions so it really depends on what the standard for the car is. I would think as long as you still have cats on the car it should not effect it to the point where it wont pass, but Im sure some of it can vary car to car
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive passed california's smog 3 times with the EGR and Air disabled. I would re install the crap a week before testing and remove afterwards. Just make sure the car is warmed up and at operating temp before the test.

Quick Reply: Do i need EGR?