Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coated VS. Chrome Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ceramic Coated VS. Chrome Headers?

I'm looking to put on LT headers on my '02 WS6. This is only a weekend toy for cruzing/shows/little to no street racing. Is it really worth getting Ceramic coated headers? What is the main reason everyone says to go ceramic over chrome? I'm on a budget so I'm looking at Pacesetter/BBK/TSP/or even the ebay LT. Thanks for your time.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

I have the ceramic coated pacesetter lts. I love them. The main thing for me is they stay cooler. You can drive your car around a while and within minutes of turning it off they are cool enough to touch
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd go with chrome headers and wrap them with header wrap. The wrap contains heat just well, and if you dont mind the look, it's a win-win.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thats the only main difference? Ceramic run a little cooler? Hmmmm, I'm just trying to figure out if is it really worth the extra $ to go ceramic coating. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Im pretty sure thats not the only differnce but its probably the main one. Keeps your engine cooler
Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The chrome will discolor from the heat - the higher temp ceramic coatings (like Jet Hot's sterling and extreme sterling coating) will maintain their color better. I actually had my stainless headers coated with the extreme sterling coating so that they would stay silver - otherwise, they'll durn a dull brown (typical for stainless headers) that will make everyone say "I see your headers are pretty rusty."
Old 02-18-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ true. i have stainless flowtechs for about 7 months now. they turned dark silver\brown but at least they wont rust.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My understanding is that the ceramic coating also holds up to the heat better than the Chrome.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Chrome < Ceramic. Chrome is a waste of money, IMO.. Ceramic just holds the heat in better. Helps keep under hood temps down and keeps the exhaust from turning odd colors over time. Helps keep it shiny, IIRC.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

I would get chrome if I knew two things:

1. I was going to get them coated by Jethot, or white lightening, or some other reputable coater that I needed the best of best for a FI setup.

2. This was a show only car... and even then usually the finish holds up nice on ceramic coats.

Heat transfer to various other components in an engine significantly ages many parts. Among these are, all fluids (heat cycles), gaskets, hoses, clamps, paint, engine cooling efficiency, makes the fans work harder if they are programmed, if you ever plan on going FI this will be an issue when supercharging.

Warning: Wrapping headers if SS is not entirely recommended by ME if you are planning on a long header life. Stainless does not take stress as well (ie. heat cycling, engine vibration... etc.) as a mild steel or the likes. A higher grade stainless can be had but is expensive. Headers sometimes even when wrapped with detail and care, have cracked from stress. I have personally seen this on a few applications. I have heard of some people doing both coating and wrapping and have no first hand knowledge of any failures that I have seen with my own eyes. Maybe that works and maybe that doesn't. Maybe someone will chime in on this possibility but it is usually one or the other. It might be seen as overkill on a N/A engine. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can afford it, its hard to argue against coated LT's. But if you cant swing it/dont drive very much, you can make a good argument for chrome headers and just wrap them.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome. All good points. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coated VS. Chrome Headers?