Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lose battery cables= car to looses power while driving??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lose battery cables= car to looses power while driving??

my car has been struggling to cut on for a while, read some threads, decided to replace my starter. after replacing it, my car cranks on the dime. love it. however, since the exchange, my car has this wierd problem with the instrument panel resetting (as in cutting off for .5 secs and cutting right back on). my car is loud, so it's very embarassing to have it sputter when it cuts off like that. my issue is, everyone in researched threads say it's the lose battery cables. if thats the case, why is it affecting the car after it's running? i thought the alternator takes over at that point. the alternator has been replaced about 10-15k miles ago maybe a little more. engine off volts are over 13 (just past the half mark) and running volts are well past that. it gradually drops to 12 though. I also just got a clutch replaced.

Last edited by LT1TA; 02-27-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Electrical is everything on EFI engines. If you are losing electrical power somewhere, even intermittently it is disastrous. I would check your battery connections, grounds and positive wiring for loose connections, arcing, corrosion and possible burn through spots. I had an intermittent charging / running problem that happened to be a bad $4 per pair battery terminal - go figure. On the other hand a friend of mine bought a car without a battery hold down and it was arcing over bumps on the bottom of the hood.

The weirdest and often most obvious things can be a problem like yours. Good luck chasing the problem.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh yeah... the car is a 99 ls1
Old 02-27-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks go fast. it's so wierd how the manners of this issue is.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

A loose battery cable can cause what is known as a "load dump" which is like a surge through the electrical system and can do things like blow bulbs, make modules reset and other weird things. Since you mentioned replacing the starter, check to make sure that the B+ cable going to the starter is not touching the exhaust. A couple years back I replaced mine and when I reinstalled, I didn't notice the B+ cable was touching the header. When the exhaust got hot it melted the insulation and shorted out. Maybe you have an intermittent similar issue with things moving around while driving.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fried positive ftw!! the cable was melted to the header. thanks craig. i actually found it earlier, but you were right on the money!! guess i wont blow the car up afterall.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

When you are in there pulling it out make sure you look real close that the cable arcing didn't burn a hole in the exhaust. Mine burned a small hole through the primary where it was shorting out to that I had to repair.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

will do. thanks!

Quick Reply: lose battery cables= car to looses power while driving??