Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3/16" Throttle Body Blade hole too big?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3/16" Throttle Body Blade hole too big?

Posted in the PCM tuning section, but no reply's yet..Maybe someone on here has tried different sized holes on the TB blade.

Purchased a used PTM 90mm TB and the throttle body blade seems to be slightly enlarged. I can barely put a 3/16" drill bit in it. I dont know what size these come with standard, but I know that the NW 90's come with a 1/8" hole. Will the 3/16" hole cause any issues with idle or give my tuner a hard time to tune it? Its going on a 346 car with a mild cam.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't touch the hole at ALL. That's a metered opening. That is air that the PCM can't alter. Be it the IAC or mixture.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well tell that to the previous owner that enlarged it lol..I recieved it used, and I was aware at the hole was slightly bigger as I could see it in the picture. I didn't enlarge it. I just stuck a drill bit in it to see what size it is..
What I am asking, is if this hole is too big.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

^ oh.. I misunderstood. I thought you were asking if it were ok to punch it out. I would run it, reset the TPS and have the tuner look at it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The size of the hole may or may not cause problems it all depends on your set up. does the PTM no have a throttle blade set screw? And if you are going to enlarge the hole, you need to get machinist drill bits, and take it up 1/64 at a time. I made this mistake with my old fast 90/90 set up, took the hole to big and it idled way to high. Its not so easy to make the hole smaller again once you enlarge it.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

And if you are going to enlarge the hole, you need to get machinist drill bits, and take it up 1/64 at a time.
Guys I am not trying to enlarge the hole..It was like this when I recieved it.
It does have a throttle blade set screw. Could I simply put a rivet to completly seal up TB hole and then just adjust the air by the amount the blade is cracked open? I know that some TB's dont come the holes in the blades.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Guys I am not trying to enlarge the hole..It was like this when I recieved it.
It does have a throttle blade set screw. Could I simply put a rivet to completly seal up TB hole and then just adjust the air by the amount the blade is cracked open? I know that some TB's dont come the holes in the blades.
Yeah i had a rivet in my FAST 90mm throttle body. The FAST TB's don't come with a hole but i was dumb and put a hole in it. You can adjust the set screw to allow more air for closed throttle, thats the "correct" way to do it, according to most members on here.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thread it a use a npt pipe plug.

Quick Reply: 3/16" Throttle Body Blade hole too big?