Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I install 1 cat converter instead of 2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Can I install 1 cat converter instead of 2?

After 4 years of passed inspections, they finally noticed I don't have any cats on my exhaust system. (needless to say it didn't pass this time) I believe my ORY is a 3" Pacesetter which leads to a SLP loudmouth II muffler. A friend of mine has a 3" Magnaflow high flow cat ... I was wondering how it would work if we cut and welded it to the the Y pipe where the Y comes together. . ? I've never heard of anyone doing this. . . Also will this cheap fix be legal for inspection?

Thanks,

Zach
Old 04-12-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

not if they know anything about these cars...pretty sure the law states u gotta have cat(s) in stock location
Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Teching In

the reason cats are there is for them to burn any hydrocarbons (unburned fuel) they need heat to do this. the closer they are to the exhaust manifolds/ headers the hotter and more efficient they will be. putting only one at the merging point of the y-pipe will be completely pointless and inefficient, causing you not to pass the smog test again.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this on my past z28. Put in 1 3 inch converter after the ORY and it passed just fine. Oregon has strick emission laws too.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yea...LT1 cars were 1 cat till 95 or so...they passed
Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mong00z
After 4 years of passed inspections, they finally noticed I don't have any cats on my exhaust system. (needless to say it didn't pass this time) I believe my ORY is a 3" Pacesetter which leads to a SLP loudmouth II muffler. A friend of mine has a 3" Magnaflow high flow cat ... I was wondering how it would work if we cut and welded it to the the Y pipe where the Y comes together. . ? I've never heard of anyone doing this. . . Also will this cheap fix be legal for inspection?

Thanks,

Zach
I know in PA we only have a visual inspection and I'm not sure but I've been told that they have to be before the second set of O2 sensors...if this is the case where you live, and i was a dishonest person i would say heres an idea that will pass, cut out your stock cats or any cat you can find cheap and hollow it and weld it to the outside of your pipe so it looks like its working but really its just there to pass visual...but im an honest person and wouldnt do that
Old 04-13-2011, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SVThis
not if they know anything about these cars...pretty sure the law states u gotta have cat(s) in stock location
Thats what I was worried about, although the state law is kinda vague. .

Originally Posted by Wicked_Z28
the reason cats are there is for them to burn any hydrocarbons (unburned fuel) they need heat to do this. the closer they are to the exhaust manifolds/ headers the hotter and more efficient they will be. putting only one at the merging point of the y-pipe will be completely pointless and inefficient, causing you not to pass the smog test again.
TX doesn't do a smog test as of yet. Just visual. . .
Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
yea...LT1 cars were 1 cat till 95 or so...they passed
I've seen ls1's pass with only 1 cat.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

It kinda makes me mad they didn't tell me it wouldn't pass before entering it into the system as "failed". I've been a regular customer since they opened 8 years ago and the same guy has been inspecting and changing the oil for the past 5 years!! The guy was kinda rude this time, saying that my "cherry-bomb" muffler was probably illegal too.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

if they don't appreciate you biz. take your money someplace that will