Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP 1 7/8 Header Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP 1 7/8 Header Install Help

I'm hoping to be install my 1 7/8 TSP LT headers next weekend, I HAVE to be able to do it in a day because its my only vehicle to get to work with. I have the headers, o2 extensions, and arp bolts. My questions are, what all am I going to have to go through to get these installed? Do I need to remove the starter? The dip stick? Disconnect the steering shaft? Driver side motor mount? Oil filter? I've been hearing lots of different things. Also, it should run fine without a tune right? because it'll be a few weeks before I can get it tuned. I'm deleting the cats and rear o2 sensors, will that be an issue without the tune? what other precautionary things should i do or purchase?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
C.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will be fine without a tune although a tune will give u the most power you can get out of them. also i suggest doing prothane motor mounts or your y pipe is going to be banging on the floor pans
Old 05-15-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take a day off from work and take your time! Also some motor mounts while you're in there.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

My experience is with 1-3/4" ARH with catted-Y, mated to the stock SLP dual-dual, so your results may vary, however...

...dipstick yes; steering shaft, plan on it; oil filter, nah; starter, you may need to loosen it to get the dipstick back in; motor mounts, I gambled and left the stock ones in and have no banging - did not need to loosen them to get the headers in. Many seem to have to do this, though. Get some heat tape for your O2 leads and clutch line, and some stainless zip ties to secure it.

Here was my biggest problem. For my '01, the stock exhaust pipe meets the muffler pipe as it rises over the front of the axle. The connection is held togeter with a bleedin' U-bolt, and it took heat to get them apart. They had to come apart to get enough play to install the Y-pipe since I have re-located the pipe hangers to accommodate my hitch, and can't detach them (for now). So check to be sure that you can get this stuff apart before you dive in.

Also, if missing work is job-threatening or just not an option, be ready schedule a taxi . ****, as it is wont to do, will most likely happen .

Good luck.

BobP

Last edited by BobP; 05-15-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Let us know how the install goes, Im thinking about getting the TSP headers along with there ORY this fall hopefully. But I will just stick with pacesetters depending on how well the TSP's fit.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

starter ....no........dipstick .....yes.......steering shaft.......it helps......and please do motor mounts......does not matter if you go poly or stock......the rubber is MUSH and you need new......the best way to do a motor mount is to remove the pedestal and take the whole thing out as 1 piece.......and the only way i could get the drivers side header in was to remove the mount and pedestal...................you did not say want ORY you have.......if you got the TSP......prepare for delays
Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 black ss
you will be fine without a tune although a tune will give u the most power you can get out of them. also i suggest doing prothane motor mounts or your y pipe is going to be banging on the floor pans
Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Take a day off from work and take your time! Also some motor mounts while you're in there.
I'm with these guys.

Follow this writeup...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-written.html

You'll cuss and swear and want to burn your car to the ground, but when you are finished you'll be glad you did it.

As for what you need to remove for the headers, the writeup pretty much covers everything and if it doesn't, do a search. You'll find plenty of threads with pictures and details to guide you along the way.

Good luck, man!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I'm with these guys.

Follow this writeup...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-written.html

You'll cuss and swear and want to burn your car to the ground, but when you are finished you'll be glad you did it.

As for what you need to remove for the headers, the writeup pretty much covers everything and if it doesn't, do a search. You'll find plenty of threads with pictures and details to guide you along the way.

Good luck, man!
i did not have a hard time doing the install of the headers the motor mounts which where the bitch i did not need to removed steering shaft just take your time change the motor mounts while your there. Here is a trick jack up the motor on each side to get more room on the pass side
Old 05-17-2011, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys thanks for all the replies, ill go get me some motor mounts next chance I get. Im getting a custom true dual exhaust built for this running through dual borla xr1s, over the axle. Question. Where does everyone jack the motor up from to replace the motor mounts? Deleting the rear o2s without a tune wont effect it correct? The install has been delayed till next weekend, but I will take pictures for everyone before/during/after. Its me and a friend doing it, we will have a lift too so that should make things easier.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Launching!

keep the header 02s you need them for tunning
Old 05-18-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Passenger side TSP 17/8s go in so easy your going to think you did something wrong. I only needed to remove my dipstick. The starter came out to get the dipstick back in correctly so take it out anyway.

Drive side was the worst but not nearly as bad as notching the frame with the 1st batch of pacesetter headers back in 2000. The steering shaft needs to come out, motor mount needs to come off as well. Then they will go in. Your not getting the driver side header in without some work. Good luck it took me 6 hours on my back and the car was already in the air.

Quick Reply: TSP 1 7/8 Header Install Help