Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has gone from True Duals to a Catback?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Who has gone from True Duals to a Catback?????

i've searched around and read several exhaust threads, but can't seem to find a exactly what i'm looking for......i'm wanting some real world opinions from people who've gone from true duals to a catback setup.....i currently have TSP TD's with Sweet Thunder's and i love them, but they've been on for about a year and i think i want something a little different.......doesn't have to be necessarily quieter, just a different tone i guess.....also, i think i'll be able to hear the cam better if the pipes are running out the back instead being pointed at the ground underneath the car......

So, i'm thinking GMMG or Borla, anyone went from TD's to one of these?

GMMG's mufflers look similar in design to the Sweet Thunders, will they sound close to the same?

would Borla be a little quieter than GMMG?
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My car has had LTs since i bought it. I went from ORY/Hooker catback, custom true duals/H pipe/Dynamax bullets, same duals but switched over to an X pipe, custom ORY going into a 3/4 Flowmaster merge with a 4 in/out single chamber dumped, and now currently same custom ORY/4 inch e-cutout/Magnaflow catback. I love the new set-up, discreet but not silent, and ******* loud when I want it. I liked the big single chamber sound a lot better then the cut-out but I do not miss the god awful drone.

Catbacks can sound damn good but lack the screaming "look at me" of true duals. My advice is an e-cutout so you can make all the noise you want, but go civilized when you want as well.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a cut-out is definitely in the works..........borla vs gmmg, which one is louder?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent gone from duals to a catback, but I do have a Borla. I would think its one of the "louder" catbacks with the open plate in. If you think about it, its a straight pipe out the back. You can put a cutout in where the plates go to make it loud or quiet when you want. A friend of mine was running a Borla on his 576 rwhp car. Will there be hp left on the table by going with a catback....maybe. But the adjustability of the Borla gets my vote...
Old 06-16-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

UUUMMMMM Why in the hell would you WANT to go from a TD setup to a catback?!?!?!?!?!?!? Your sacrificing HP and sound quality by doing that, BUT to each their own. GL with whatever you decide bro it's your car!!! ;P
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had td's and went back to catback because the dash rattling at 70 mph on the interstate is not my idea of a nice dd car. I put 100 miles a day on it and the td's were getting old really quickly. I honestly think I gained some low end torque going back to catback.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

I had two different dual setups with bullets and one chambers. With X pipe and without. Now have a GMMG ORY on my H/C car and really don't see a difference on performance. Switched from Kooks 1 7/8 headers to ARH of the same size. ARHs are thicker so under hood valve train noises quieted down some. I like the sound of all. Just got to hard to get car inspection with duals dumped.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PheonixLS1
UUUMMMMM Why in the hell would you WANT to go from a TD setup to a catback?!?!?!?!?!?!? Your sacrificing HP and sound quality by doing that, BUT to each their own. GL with whatever you decide bro it's your car!!! ;P
sacrificing HP?.....yep, maybe a little bit, but this is a street car, not a track only car.....the very few horses i'd be losing, i won't really miss.....

sound quality?.....call me crazy, but both of the two i'm looking at buying (GMMG, Borla) get excellent reviews in the sound quality dept.......besides, TD's are awesome and really loud, but i've had them for a year and i'm kind of over the whole "hey, you'll be able to hear me coming from a mile away" thing....not to say that they're immature, but i've kind of out grown them and i'm just wanting something different.....i may regret it, but i could always go back to them.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've went from O/R X to magnapaacks, then O/R H with 1 chambers and now I'm back to O/R Y and GMMG c/b

FWIW, when I first installed my cam, I had O/R H and 1 chambers and dynoed 415/378... Then put my 42# injectors on and my 85mm Lid/Maf combo and went with my O/R Y and GMMG set up and dynoed 419/382
Old 06-17-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went from TSP duals with dynomax bullets, to the Bassani True Duals, to now a Magnaflow Cat Back. I switched from the TSP duals because everything in the car was rattling. They sound great, but it got on my nerves. I also wanted the exhaust to exit out the rear. I got sick of smelling like fuel everyday.

I swapped out the bassani's because of ground clearance. They sounded great, but I wanted to lower my car, so I removed them. The magnaflow catback that I have now is too quiet IMO, so I will be adding a cutout shortly.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
My car has had LTs since i bought it. I went from ORY/Hooker catback, custom true duals/H pipe/Dynamax bullets, same duals but switched over to an X pipe, custom ORY going into a 3/4 Flowmaster merge with a 4 in/out single chamber dumped, and now currently same custom ORY/4 inch e-cutout/Magnaflow catback. I love the new set-up, discreet but not silent, and ******* loud when I want it. I liked the big single chamber sound a lot better then the cut-out but I do not miss the god awful drone.

Catbacks can sound damn good but lack the screaming "look at me" of true duals. My advice is an e-cutout so you can make all the noise you want, but go civilized when you want as well.
I gurantee you my current c/b set up was louder than any of my O/R X and O/R H set up
Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is definitely NOT true
Old 06-17-2011, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

I had true duals and loved it but couldn't deal with the no ground clearance. I went with ARH ORY and TSP 3" rumbler catback. I love the sound as well as the ground clearance. Only lost about 2-3whp with this setup.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackBADaSS02
I went from TSP duals with dynomax bullets, to the Bassani True Duals, to now a Magnaflow Cat Back. I switched from the TSP duals because everything in the car was rattling. They sound great, but it got on my nerves. I also wanted the exhaust to exit out the rear. I got sick of smelling like fuel everyday.

I swapped out the bassani's because of ground clearance. They sounded great, but I wanted to lower my car, so I removed them. The magnaflow catback that I have now is too quiet IMO, so I will be adding a cutout shortly.
this is a big thing with me......i'm tired of the fuel smell everywhere i go, it's very strong.....i'm thinking i'll be running cats....

i might try the SLP LM1 catback (31042) with a TSP catted Y, but swap in a borla muffler instead of the super loud resonator.....that'll save me about 300 over the catted Y + GMMG
Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Have to agree that the GMMG with a ORY is plenty loud. I'm running with a MS3/ trick flow heads. Sounds awesome cruising. But on long hauls its annoying to my passengers. Going to dynomat the car to help reduce cabin/road noise.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

How many of you were running duals all the way out the back? I notice a lot of dual setups end up being dumped before the axle. The noise, and smell must be pretty poor. I'm not so fond of the aesthetics of dumped setups.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

We are local to you.. have a good friend with a borla for sale. Lot of interest on it though, if you want it let me know quick, pm
Old 06-17-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

BTW, I would use a flowmaster merge, way better sound and flows better.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

OP, I've been right there with him on those and have gone through about the same amount exhaust changes myself. I'm happiest right now with hooker LT's, TSP ORY, and a Jegs catback. It's quiet at cruise, peppy at idle, and sounds mean as hell at WOT. I added a cutout for the track but i trapped the same open or closed so I guess the loudness is all i benefitted lol.

As mentioned before this isn't completely true.

Originally Posted by jc98ss
this is a big thing with me......i'm tired of the fuel smell everywhere i go, it's very strong.....i'm thinking i'll be running cats....

i might try the SLP LM1 catback (31042) with a TSP catted Y, but swap in a borla muffler instead of the super loud resonator.....that'll save me about 300 over the catted Y + GMMG
That oughta sound really nice right there.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
How many of you were running duals all the way out the back? I notice a lot of dual setups end up being dumped before the axle. The noise, and smell must be pretty poor. I'm not so fond of the aesthetics of dumped setups.
I ran both my dual set ups out the back on my cammed TA

Quick Reply: Who has gone from True Duals to a Catback?????