Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Faulty Cruise Control?

Hey guys, every once in a while my throttle seems to sit at a 1/4 throttle (maybe around 2500rpm) after I take it out of gear going from stop sign to stop sign or come up to a red light. I was wondering if it possible that my car is trying to resume it's speed like cruise control is engaged, or what. I shut it off the other day when it did it and it went back to normal idle. I haven't really had that much time to debug it with school and work all week.

Possible clutch issue?
Throttle cable getting stuck on something?
Any ideas, please let me know.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Mine does the same just not that high. Has been like that since the day I bought it back in 04. I notice it more when the motor is at the hottest or when running ac.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by epglxspooky
Mine does the same just not that high. Has been like that since the day I bought it back in 04. I notice it more when the motor is at the hottest or when running ac.
I think it has been with my AC on as well, my Camaro never did it and it kind of freaks you out when you are just sitting at a traffic light and your rev's are not where they are supposed to be. The few times it has happened I have used cruise control within 50 miles of it happening, so I keep thinking back to that possibility.

I also can't tell if it is a throttle cable issue or not because after I shut it off it went back to normal idle when turned back over, would it go back to the rev's it was sitting at if it were stuck?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not the cruise control per-say... There are many fail-safes that would have to be broken for it to happen. #1 the clutch pedal sensor would have to be broke, #2 brake sensor would have to be broke, #3 the trans sensor would also have to be broke.

But it could be something with the line to the TB, which includes the cruse control module. If for some reason that is getting caught up, it could keep tension in the cable, and thus on the TB.

Check to make sure your TB is responding correctly. You can push it while the car is on and see if it returns tight and quickly. Check to make sure the cables are moving freely. You can pull the top off the cruise control module and make sure those are acting correctly. You can spray wd-40 to see if you can get it to stop... thats not a permanent fix, but it could help diagnose the problem. Once you find it you can get a better lubricant.

It could also be in your tune... There is a parameter for when you get off the gas, it keeps the revs up so the car doesnt die. Unlikely, but not impossible.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
It is not the cruise control per-say... There are many fail-safes that would have to be broken for it to happen. #1 the clutch pedal sensor would have to be broke, #2 brake sensor would have to be broke, #3 the trans sensor would also have to be broke.

But it could be something with the line to the TB, which includes the cruse control module. If for some reason that is getting caught up, it could keep tension in the cable, and thus on the TB.

Check to make sure your TB is responding correctly. You can push it while the car is on and see if it returns tight and quickly. Check to make sure the cables are moving freely. You can pull the top off the cruise control module and make sure those are acting correctly. You can spray wd-40 to see if you can get it to stop... thats not a permanent fix, but it could help diagnose the problem. Once you find it you can get a better lubricant.

It could also be in your tune... There is a parameter for when you get off the gas, it keeps the revs up so the car doesnt die. Unlikely, but not impossible.
The tune part makes some sense, I still have to get my lights turned off from installing my LT's.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Teching In

I don't remember, but I thought I read it somewhere that it could be a dirty maf or air filter. Might of been for something else. Worth a shot.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would lean towards a sticking throttle blade and/or return spring.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Don't see how it could be. He said he will turn it off then back on and it runs fine.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by epglxspooky
Don't see how it could be. He said he will turn it off then back on and it runs fine.
This.

P.S- Bump! Still looking for more input.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Have you tried pullin your TB and cleaning the IAC/passages? When i was getting my car tuned i had to clean my IAC and spray some wd40 in it cuz it was responding too slow to tune idle airflow right and causing my idle to stay up around 2000-2500 rpms coming into stops signs and lights, and if i shut it off and restarted it it idled fine.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Have you tried swapping the cruise unit out with a known good one?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Also, check for vacuum leaks. My revs were hanging for a while and it was due to a hole in the pcv vacuum line.