Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 head gasket,4 header gaskets, helicoiled header bolt, and it still F#%KING leaks???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 head gasket,4 header gaskets, helicoiled header bolt, and it still F#%KING leaks???

ok so iv been working on this problem for 4 months now and iv gotten basically nowhere with my main problem which is the exhaust leak.

started off with changing the clutch, everything is going smooth until i break the bolts on the passenger manifold while removing it from the exhaust. this was no big deal because i already had a set of headers which i decided to go ahead an install while i already had the tranny out. so i remove the passenger manifold no problems, start on the drivers side and realize the #7 cylinder manifold bolt is broke off inside the head, (FML right? yea just wat i was thinking). Alright so i didnt have the money or time to pull the cradle at the time so just installed the headers, clutch, and had a local shop make a TD OTA setup an drove it like this for about 2.5 months,(barely had exhaust leak but enough to through off the dyno tune), after about 2.5 months i realize my inspection is 29 days overdue and my SES light is on due to me deleting the o2 sensors,cats,EGR system, an air pump. So i get it back in the shop asap and drop the drivers side of the cradle, i drilled an tapped the head (creating new treads) put everything back together, new gaskets, bolts everything. tightin bolts as much as possible, (starting from the 2 center bolts an working outward). turn key fires up...BIG EXHAUST LEAK!...at this point im pissed. drove it like this for a week until i couldnt stand to hear it anymore and put it back in the shop. this time i just pulled the header bolts out, pulled the gasket out an installed a new one thinking maybe the old gasket was just a piece of junk. (NOTE: passenger side has been fine since day 1). this time i tightened all the bolts up just like before but on the #7 in the back that i tapped, SNAP! stripped the head out. im furious at this point! i had to be at work that night so i had to drive it like this, (you can only imagine the hellatious sound it was making). i drove it one day like this, (out of necessity). so friday of last week i put it in the shop, i decide no more cutting corners. i pulled the head, put a helicoil in it, put them in the vat and pressure checked them, (best-friend owns a machine shop, this is where the car goes when broke down lol) everything is fresh an clean. i put a new gasket set on reinstalled everything an torqued to spec's. had the valve covers powder coated while i was doing it and even painted the TB. By 3:30am this morning im finaly ready to start it up...PUFF PUFF TICK PUFF TICK TICK PUFF... jesus EFing christ!!! still leaking, i pondered on the problem for a few minutes while screaming very profound an violent statements at my car. after much deliberation and a few minutes of throwing everything within arms reach i narrow the leak down to the center 2 exhaust ports. i have come to the conclusion that the gasket it not aligning right with the header ports an the head ports, causing a small gap in between the 2 ports. im about to ride over an get started on pulling the gasket hopefully it leaves a carbon burn on the gasket, thus showing me exactly where the leak is.

please feel free to express any opinions on the subject and ill post back on here this afternoon.

FYI: i used 1 advance-auto gasket, an 3 felpro gaskets. i used a ROCK engine gasket set for the top end. and i used the header bolts from advance that come in a pack of 12.

Also I do my own work an im very confidant in wat i do, but if u think i missed a step somehow let me know but please dont badger the fact that i drove it like this, i had no choice and i understand i should have pulled the head or dropped the cradle to begin with.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

is the header flange warped?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^Beat me to it. My friend had that preoblem with a set of SLP longtubes.

I have heard that the replacement GM gasket is better than the aftermarket ones.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an exhaust leak that would keep coming back no matter what I did. Part of the problem was that I used a stupid copper gasket. The graphite and paper gaskets work way better. The other problem was the aftermarket headers that I had had a thicker flange and my header bolts were cheap and didn't really reach into the head very deep. As a result after running for a little bit they would start to back out. I have an LT1 (same bolts as a SBC) and I ended up using http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/400-12...oductId=744888 which are some ARPs. They solved my leak and I've never had any bolt back out since.

Also get a straight edge on your manifold and see what is up.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of headers for another application and it did that same ****... ended up being some weld spatter on the flange. it didnt let it sit flush against the head... 20seconds with a dremel fixed that.... I also use lacing studs and wire to stop them from backing out...
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Launching!

that also has been my thoughts and im not ruling that out but why would it barely leak with the bolt broke inside the head the first time but after replacing all bolts and fixing the broke bolt have a WORSE leak than before?? pulling the header out again for the 5th time is not something im looking forward to but if its got to be done then i guess ill have to.

would the copper gasket makers in the tube melt being that close to the combustion chamber? i really dont care if it looks a little messy, as long as it is fixed, im over 60 days out of inspection and the DMV is gonna stick it to me on fines already.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
I bought a set of headers for another application and it did that same ****... ended up being some weld spatter on the flange. it didnt let it sit flush against the head... 20seconds with a dremel fixed that.... I also use lacing studs and wire to stop them from backing out...
do u have any pics of the flange by any chance? i know exactly wat your taking about but im just curious wat your flanges look like. mine are not completly flush, its hard to explain, picture the tubes coming up from the collector and meeting the flange, the tubes are welded on the "head" side of the flange then ground flush so they meet the head smooth across the flange. ill try to get a pic later of them and show u wat i mean. idk wat brand the headers r because i got them off craigslist. they have no markings on them and them are not stainless.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Have the header flange planed and trued at a machine shop.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99 WS-sick
do u have any pics of the flange by any chance? i know exactly wat your taking about but im just curious wat your flanges look like. mine are not completly flush, its hard to explain, picture the tubes coming up from the collector and meeting the flange, the tubes are welded on the "head" side of the flange then ground flush so they meet the head smooth across the flange. ill try to get a pic later of them and show u wat i mean. idk wat brand the headers r because i got them off craigslist. they have no markings on them and them are not stainless.
No pics.. its been a while ago... mine may have been ebay headers but Im not sure....
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Launching!

No pics.. its been a while ago... mine may have been ebay headers but Im not sure....
sorry i didnt get to go to the shop. my grandmother who i lived with most of my life past away this morning at 3:57am, ill try getting some soon
Old 11-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Launching!

ok so i cant get any quality pics to upload but iv talked to adam at "quarterhorse performance" (mustang shop) an he says i can double up the gasket putting copper gasket maker between them and that might seal it up. any thoughts on this idea before i get messy with it?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99 WS-sick
ok so i cant get any quality pics to upload but iv talked to adam at "quarterhorse performance" (mustang shop) an he says i can double up the gasket putting copper gasket maker between them and that might seal it up. any thoughts on this idea before i get messy with it?
ive had good luck with using said copper gasket sealer..even without using a gasket at all...give it a shot, what have you got to loose? it just peels off worse case scenario.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you tightening the bolts by feel, or using a torque wrench and tightening them in proper sequence and torque spec?
Old 11-20-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

You can use a paper gasket soaked with either aluminum or copper spray paint... then torque to spec...
Old 11-20-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any luck yet??
Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crainholio
Are you tightening the bolts by feel, or using a torque wrench and tightening them in proper sequence and torque spec?
just tightening then from the center bolts out with a 3/8 rachet an 10mm socket.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Launching!

You can use a paper gasket soaked with either aluminum or copper spray paint... then torque to spec...
explain a little more wat your saying. im about tired of busting knuckles changing this gasket. this idea sounds good in theory but is it actually going to do anything?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=14k;15643732]any luck yet??[/QUOT

Im having trouble getting to it cause my grandmother just past away on 11-17-2011 an she lived with me so we were very close, between working an funeral stuff its been hard getting time or motivated.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

using said method anticop ramair suggested..when you tighten your bolts down, youll have the copper spray on both sides of the gasket..so itll "squish" for lack of a better term and seal, and hopefully fill any imperfections.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=JaYZeig;15648909]using said method anticop ramair suggested..when you tighten your bolts down, youll have the copper spray on both sides of the gasket..so itll "squish" for lack of a better term and seal, and hopefully fill any imperfections.[/QUO

is this not the same as the copper gasket maker in the tube from autozone? if not where can i get it and wats the exact name of it?