Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repainting/Coating Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting/Coating Headers?

So after some research it seems that the black paint on pacesetter LTs won't last very long. As I will be on a tight budget when I get around to finishing my exhaust, I got to thinking. Would it be cost effective to skip getting ceramic coated and get the painted... but grinding/wirebrushing the crappy black paint off and coating it with a higher quality paint? If that would be do-able, I would rather spend some of my time versus more money to get a set of headers that won't look like poo in a few years. And I like the thought of black headers.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or if any one has or heard of someone painting un coated headers before whether they lasted or not. I am really liking the pacesetter LT/TSP ORY combo on the net.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No amount of even high temp paint will last on raw steel headers. It will eventually flake or burn off leaving you to having to do it all over again.

Even their ceramic coating will fail, especially if driven a lot and through the snow/salt. If you want coating that lasts forever then get something stainless steel. Coatings or paints do not stick well to mild steel in the long run.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
No amount of even high temp paint will last on raw steel headers. It will eventually flake or burn off leaving you to having to do it all over again.

Even their ceramic coating will fail, especially if driven a lot and through the snow/salt. If you want coating that lasts forever then get something stainless steel. Coatings or paints do not stick well to mild steel in the long run.
Ceramic coated

If snow which is water is going to stick to your 'hot as' headers and wreck your ceramic coating then the world has a problem with the theory of water vs heat
Old 12-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

POR makes some high temp paints for exhaust. I used their
cast iron gray on the stock manifolds for a few years and
it held up well. This is what I'd go with for touchups on
coated or painted headers.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If snow which is water is going to stick to your 'hot as' headers and wreck your ceramic coating then the world has a problem with the theory of water vs heat
It's not the snow/water that wrecks the ceramic coating, it's the salt that sticks to it or rock chips.

Do you wanna see what jet hot ceramic coated pacesetters looks like after 2.5 years and 2 winters?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A buddy of mine used POR high temp paint on his headers a year ago.. still look good