Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell what's been done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell what's been done?

So my problem is this... I bought my car in March. I drove it all summer and the only thing I've done to it so far is tune up... This has to change since it's winter and it's time to Mod

I was going through my Engine Bay a lot lately. Reading posts and comparing where to start and best bang for your buck..

I see an aftermarket Lid, MAF, This makes me wonder. The next thing I wanted to do was P&P my TB and Ls6 Intake Manifold to get that extra horsepower before I start piecing a good exhaust system together.

But the previous owner seemed to know what he was doing. What if he already did it? He was a member on here back in 05' he said. I've lost all contact with him. Is there an easy way to check? If I send my TB and intake manifold in will the shop be kind enough to say it's already been done? Thanks in advance all.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Post some pics of the throttle body and we can tell you if its been ported. The intake I kind of doubt has been ported. Its not a very common thing most people just go to a FAST.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its an 01 its already got an LS6 intake stock and and 28lb injectors.

Edit: NVM i thought you meant add an LS6 intake not port it.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Post some pics of the throttle body and we can tell you if its been ported. The intake I kind of doubt has been ported. Its not a very common thing most people just go to a FAST.
You'll have to wait till tomorrow morning then. It's passed midnight here. Hopefully I can get a good picture of them. Is there anything I should be looking for specifically?

Originally Posted by itsslow98
If its an 01 its already got an LS6 intake stock and and 28lb injectors.
So are you trying to suggest this idea of Porting the TB and intake mani. might be a bad idea?
Edit: Gotcha ^

I went searching and found one engine bay picture.. Hope it says anything about my intake manifold.. >.>

Thanks guys speedy replies. Appreciated

Last edited by versz; 12-28-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:59 AM
10 Second Club

Yea you've got an LS6 intake. On the TB you should be able to feel next to the blade for a ridge. If you can't feel a big hump and it seems to be smooth then its been ported. You could probably find pictures of a stock TB online and compare the outer edge thickness to yours. If its ported it should be quite a bit thinner.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

I had the same problem when I bought mine. What I did was look for any type of marking or part number on all the common aftermarket bolt on's I.e. heads, intake MAF. And then google the numbers I found to see if they were stock.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Launching!

So I got into tearing it down. It seriously took not even a full minute to get that intake off the TB but it definetly took a minute to take in how dirty it was in there. Any suggestions on this? Or what caused it to be this dirty? It was caked in passed the TB thats for sure.

What's your guys' opinions?

Edit:

Made in USA on the side of it I forgot to mention if you guy's cant see it (Was taken with my Droid X2) does this mean it's aftermarket?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Definitely not ported.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Launching!

I think the TB is aftermarket. But I'm definetly getting the TB and manifold ported now. Would it require a tune afterwards?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Unless you are getting it done cheap, no need to port the ls6 intake. You can port the runners a little, but for the most part the ls6 is fine. You will definately benefit from a tune but it's not required.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your best bet is to leave the intake alone. Get your tb ported and powder coated red to match your car (several places that will do it can be contacted through here) and put on exhaust and then tune it.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by arock24
Unless you are getting it done cheap, no need to port the ls6 intake. You can port the runners a little, but for the most part the ls6 is fine. You will definately benefit from a tune but it's not required.
See this is seriously my problem here :/ Im trying to get into working on cars and im looking on where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems like everytime I go to mod something it's already aftermarket or it's just as good.

My catback for instance is the SLP CME from the factory (SLP Dual/Duals) and it sounds pretty sweet but the Y-pipe is just horrid plumbing but when I go to try to replace the Y-pipe people say you need headers TOO. then I want LongTubes because there's no point in getting mids or shorties. Then you need a Tune.. your going ***** deep in over a thousand dollar build already when all you wanted to buy was a 100 dollar y-pipe.. >.>
Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

you dont need a tune after headers, and you can get longtubes/ory combos for cheap. Just going with an ORY on stock manifolds is dumb and will net you nothing.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the hobby. It's expensive. You've got 3 choices... Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2 of them. If you want a y pipe you need headers unless you buy SLP's y pipe for stock manifold but it's a complete waste of money. For a good y pipe you need headers. With that you need new gaskets, bolts, o2 extensions, and a tune. While your there you might as well install new motor mounts and 2 new oxygen sensors along with new spark plugs. Speaking of plugs, while your doing headers you might as well get upgraded wires too. But hey look on the bright side, you get to keep the SLP CME which is one of the most sought after catbacks. You could buy a $700 GMMG.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Yea I wouldn't mess with the intake. You could always port the tb yourself. I bought a dremel tool from wal mart and I've ported two in the last few days. I mean I'm not Shaner but they turned out pretty good.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You cannot port a ls6 intake. There is really no way to get inside to port one.. It is one solid piece where a FAST is 3 piece so you can get to the runners to port....

Do exhaust first and when you do cam or bigger mods like cam + heads is it necessary to go to a better intake like FAST. The 102 is all they sell now but honestly a used 90/90 will do as well for most of us at or below 400ci....
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need for a tune yet honestly.