Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch from K&N FIPK to a Lid Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Switch from K&N FIPK to a Lid Setup?

Hello all.

My SS had the K&N FIPK installed on the car when I bought it. I'm considering a change over to go back to a lid setup. Had several people tell me that there are real benefits at the track and on the dyno to using the lid setup instead. Any thoughts?

If I were to change back, what parts would I need? I know I would need the lid and the rectangular filter, however it looks like the base the lid fastens into was removed for the FIPK as well. Any thought on where I could find one of those?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would spend the time and money on something else.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fair enough. It does seem like a bit of a hassle trying to find everything I would need to switch back.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i am actually thinking to change to FIPK from lid setup, send me pic of the FIPK in your car maybe we can do a trade
Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The lid setup with a good ram air system is far superior to the k&n.

The k&n has no where to draw air from except the hot engine bay. My car had one when I bought it, I promptly sold it, bought everything for my lid setup, did the free ram air mod and picked up a tenth in the quarter and still put money in my pocket.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would keep it and spend money towards a cam or some long tube headers!!! get some real HP for your money..
Old 03-27-2012, 03:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bww3588
The lid setup with a good ram air system is far superior to the k&n.

The k&n has no where to draw air from except the hot engine bay. My car had one when I bought it, I promptly sold it, bought everything for my lid setup, did the free ram air mod and picked up a tenth in the quarter and still put money in my pocket.
This.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Burken...he can do what I did and sell it and make money after buying the lid setup.

Keeping it and spending the money elsewhere makes no sense when you can ebay it and pick up a lower air box and used lid for around 100 bucks. I bought my lid and air box for 100 And sold the k&n for about 200 if I recall. That 100 bucks is pushrods for the cam swap.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:41 AM

I'm not familiar with t/a but on the camaro there are two large holes in the front bumper that let outside air in infringement of the radiator. It is easier to see if you change to an aftermarket grill. But if you look closely you should see them were the bumper meets the foam support.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say keep it. That way you won't gamble on an aftermarket lid that doesn't seal great.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
I would keep it and spend money towards a cam or some long tube headers!!! get some real HP for your money..
Don't look at signatures much eh?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Don't look at signatures much eh?
thats what I get for using my iphone, I just sold my k&n FIPK and they dont bring much anymore.. i sold it for 130 shipped.

If your going to sell it, do it on ebay to get the max..
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

I have the FIPK on my car and underneath the filter I cut a 4" x 8" rectangular hole in the rad. support that comes with the kit and air comes up in front of the rad., just like the free ram air set-up.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well with a t/a the air is pushed right where the fipk sits. I have seen a couple dynos switching from one to the other with no gains, not sure as far as real track numbers go. More preference then anything. If you want to switch back to a lid setup you will need the stock radiator support, lower filter tray, filter, and lid with bellows.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Burken01
Already have them (cam & headers). No other bolt ons or internal mod options left for me (outside of forced induction), so I was looking to tighten this up a bit.

Thanks for the tips guys. My car is currently in the shop -- now I have a new project once it gets out.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

I switched from a K&N back to the stock lower box with a slp lid. The previous owener of my car never cleaned the K&N and it became too dirty to clean. He also cut that hole in the radiator support and you can tell it worked because it was completly black on that part of the filter. Instead of buying a new special filter, I think it was like 50 bucks plus shipping, I went on craigslist and found a guy parting out a trans am and took the whole lower and upper air box assembly for 30 bucks and swaped it on my car. I also kept the smooth bellow that connects the MAF and TB and used it with my new set up. It was very easy to do once I found the correct bolts to hold down the lower air box. As a performance difference I could tell my car was running better because of the new filter but other then that there was no Difference. I still have to cut the hole in the new box for the free ram air, maybe that will do something.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xFormulax
I switched from a K&N back to the stock lower box with a slp lid. The previous owener of my car never cleaned the K&N and it became too dirty to clean. He also cut that hole in the radiator support and you can tell it worked because it was completly black on that part of the filter. Instead of buying a new special filter, I think it was like 50 bucks plus shipping, I went on craigslist and found a guy parting out a trans am and took the whole lower and upper air box assembly for 30 bucks and swaped it on my car. I also kept the smooth bellow that connects the MAF and TB and used it with my new set up. It was very easy to do once I found the correct bolts to hold down the lower air box. As a performance difference I could tell my car was running better because of the new filter but other then that there was no Difference. I still have to cut the hole in the new box for the free ram air, maybe that will do something.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP do you have any dyno numbers for your set up? and your sig looks as if you are road racing your camaro, if thats the case i would definitely chunk the FIPK for a lid and ram air set up.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
OP do you have any dyno numbers for your set up? and your sig looks as if you are road racing your camaro, if thats the case i would definitely chunk the FIPK for a lid and ram air set up.
440 rwhp / 408 rwtq on a N/A tune. N/A numbers on my nitrous tune is down a bit from there. Car is actually in the shop getting a rebuild right now (damn #7).

Not a race, just enjoying a little track time. I'm caught between simply cutting a hole in the radiator support to better push air through the existing FIPK setup vs. selling the FIPK and going to a lid + ram air setup. Trying to decide if it's worth the hassle.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, I don't think you're going to see much of a difference going to a lid setup. I have hear of some ppl doing what you're thinking with ram air and fipk. For time, I say keep it and do what you're thinking

Quick Reply: Switch from K&N FIPK to a Lid Setup?