Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear heat shield exhaust rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear heat shield exhaust rattle

Hey guys, a few weeks ago I have developed a rattle that has gotten worse and worse. I jacked the car up a few days ago and it looks like my SLP LM II exhaust just sits so close to that rear heat shield for the gas tank that it taps against it, making an awful high pitched tapping noise. Just removing the heat shield entirely sounds like the easiest thing fix, but with that being the heat shield for the gas tank, that is not something I'm real thrilled about doing, lol.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might fix it? Could I just wrap some rubber hose around the exhaust pipe? Or are the temps too high?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my heat shield years ago due to my rattle.No issues.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssteven
I removed my heat shield years ago due to my rattle.No issues.
SSteven - thanks for the feedback. Using the search, it looks like there are a number of people who have removed the heat shield and no problems for years... along with an equal number of people who claim the car is gonna explode into flames. LOL. I'm gonna try and see if I can fab up some kind of solution to prevent the rattling - but if not, I'll just remove it. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 AM
Launching!

You could bend the heat-shield away from where it is rubbing.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have a muffler where it used to be(resonator) now under rear seat. The tailpipes arent that close to the rear cargo area and dont get that hot.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Turns out the exhaust had just backed itself out a few inches toward the car where one of the clamps came loose. Readjusting the exhaust and tightening the clamps solved the issue. No removal of heat shield needed. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem with my Watts link hitting the gas tank heat shield. I took it off and replaced it with adhesive-backed heat shield. You can get that at most auto-part stores. Did the same with the heat shield by the passenger door in the front. The O2 sensor in my passenger side header was too close to that one.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Dude, I'm glad that you solved your problem -- way to go!

As food for thought for anyone else who reads this thread, my SLP LM1 did the same thing, despite my best efforts to re-adjust my piping and push the heat shield away. Apparently, these things expand a lot with the heat, or at least mine did (maybe I just got a special one).

Anyway, I certainly didn't feel comfortable removing my heat shield, for safety reasons, so I bought some exhaust wrap and wrapped it around the full length of the pipe. Not everyone may agree with the aesthetics of this, but -- to my eyes -- the exhaust wrap gave my system a sort of agressive look that I personally liked. My car sits low enough and, with the ground effects package, one really, really had to look to see the exhaust wrap.

But that's just my two-cents so take it for what you think it's worth.

In any event, I'm really glad you found a viable solution that worked for your application!

Quick Reply: Rear heat shield exhaust rattle