Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing Heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing Heads

I am looking to buy some heads, I found a set for $1000 and I want to know if they are a good deal. The are ported patriot 243 59cc with comp cam double springs. Will these heads make good power and are they a good price? Also how should I go about choosing heads, I plan on going naturally aspirated.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Are they new? If the heads are flat, the guides aren't worn, and the valves seats/valves are good that seems like a good price. With a tight combustion chamber like that, you're going to want some duration with your cam, and definitely check piston to valve clearance.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also consider that they might need new springs too. for that much, I would spend 1200 and get TSP stage 2.5 5.3L heads new. dual springs, flow very well, and they will mill them to whatever chamber volume you want.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tremiles
Are they new? If the heads are flat, the guides aren't worn, and the valves seats/valves are good that seems like a good price. With a tight combustion chamber like that, you're going to want some duration with your cam, and definitely check piston to valve clearance.
They are used
Originally Posted by baxsom
also consider that they might need new springs too. for that much, I would spend 1200 and get TSP stage 2.5 5.3L heads new. dual springs, flow very well, and they will mill them to whatever chamber volume you want.
They have about 3000 miles so I think the springs should be good. Do you know which is the TSP stage 2.5 will put down more power or not?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the heads are off the motor do a valve seat leak test.check all rocker bolt holes for any stripped threads.