Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 92 Intake Manifold Install , What Will I Need ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST 92 Intake Manifold Install , What Will I Need ?

Ok So I have a Lead on a FAST 92 , What am I going to need ?

Still have to buy a Throttle body NW 92mm of course LS6 cooing lines , rear MAP sensor ? & Im keeping my EGR for emission purposes for now .
I know fuel rails and injectors will swap over .

But will I need a 85mm MAF or can I keep the stocker for now ? I have SLP intake bellow will it fit on a 92TB ? and the LS6 PCV Valley cover ?

The Car will be going to a shop to have all the work done including a Re-Tune & 160 thermostat any guesses on what I will pick up ? BTW Car still has an LS1 Intake , Also I know it might be little over kill for the mods I have now but I`ve been itching to get a new intake it was either this or a BBK .

Anything I missed ??
Thanks

Last edited by 99canadahawk; 07-17-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya dnt go with BBK intake. Lol... Yes I believe the bellow will fit the 92 but you will need to trim it. And I'm not sure about the valleycover but I wana say your good on that.. You dnt need a 85MAF but it would pick up some gains later down the road with cam and heads. For sure. You didn't miss anything from what I see. You got it.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Sweet ! thanks 2win SS , I just wanted to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible
Intake is in the mail and on its way ! Im planning on a cam next season & heads later down the road I`ll upgrade the MAF and stuff later then but should I order new fuel rails too to complement alot more air being added ?? And i couldn`t find much on comparisons with the LS1 intake vs a FAST ect mostly LS6 vs FAST & BBK any ideas on what I might pickup on the HP table with the 92 ,160 stat & a re-tune ?

Thanks .
Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

You will need the hardware to bolt in and maybe new gaskets
Might need a new tube going from the MAF to the TB as well.

Expect at least 3 tenths and 2-3MPH after tune
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2win_SS
Ya dnt go with BBK intake. Lol... Yes I believe the bellow will fit the 92 but you will need to trim it. And I'm not sure about the valleycover but I wana say your good on that.. You dnt need a 85MAF but it would pick up some gains later down the road with cam and heads. For sure. You didn't miss anything from what I see. You got it.
I dont know how the slp bellow made for a 78mm TB is gonna work with a 92mm throttlebody? Interested to hear the thoughs behind that one..

If you are keeping stock maf you are going to need a bellow that goes from a 78mm to 92mm
Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99canadahawk
Sweet ! thanks 2win SS , I just wanted to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible
Intake is in the mail and on its way ! Im planning on a cam next season & heads later down the road I`ll upgrade the MAF and stuff later then but should I order new fuel rails too to complement alot more air being added ?? And i couldn`t find much on comparisons with the LS1 intake vs a FAST ect mostly LS6 vs FAST & BBK any ideas on what I might pickup on the HP table with the 92 ,160 stat & a re-tune ?

Thanks .
^^^ do not buy aftermarket fuel rails. You wnt pick up any power. I know ppl with 480rwhp that use stock fuel rails. Switch to FAST fuel rails and only difference is the looks under the hood lol...

And about the SLP bellow I've seen ppl sig that say Fast 90/92 and SLP bellow so you can make it fit some how. And you wnt need a reducer bellow. Just trim one side for TB to fit into and leave other side alone. MAF will fit right in.

You do not need any new hardware except the button head bolts for the valley cover. And maybe TB. (local hardware store is where I got mine) and I would buy new gaskets tho. Just to be safe. Goodluck Buddy
Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Cool I won`t get the fuel rails & save some $$$ , I`ll see about the bellow situation when the time comes & maybe some new gaskets BTW it`s a new 92 Black Edition .
Can`t wait to see the difference on the dyno I`ll post it all up in the next few weeks with the results think I would atleast see a 17-20 RWHP difference ???

Thanks for the help guys !
Old 07-03-2012, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So I got confirmation that the SLP bellow will fit a 92 TB. (I vote for Nick Williams 1st choice.. And PTM 2nd choice... Dnt get the FAST Big Mouth... I hear alot of sticking blade issues)

And not MAYBE... just Buy new Gaskets(check out WS6Store for TB and Gaskets... Awesome sponsor!)

And last but not least! YES! you will MOS DEF get 17rwhp from the FAST92/92 setup... Ppl pick up 15rwhp from a LS1 to LS6 swap so you should get 20rwhp from the 92 setup!

Good find! Post pics and gains after install! I'll be checkn in on this thread...
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Thanks bro ! When I order a NW TB I`ll order some new gaskets aswell I deal with WS6 store all the time awesome to deal with ! I should recieve the 92 in the mail in a week or so I`ll keep it updated thanks again !
Old 07-03-2012, 12:10 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Odd information in here.

The Fast 90 TB is the one that had the sticking issues. No issues with the 92 that I've ever heard.

You don't need a full hardware kit, just the button head bolts. Also youll need the 4 bolts for the TB.
Since you're right there anyways, I would go ahead and do the 04+ LS6 valley.

If the intake is used, I would replace the intake seals AND the rope gasket on the inside. If there was any oil in the intake it will mess with that rope gasket and leak eventually. It gives you an opportunity to clean the inside also. I put both halves in the dishwasher, myself. NO DRYING though. Let it air dry.

As far as the bellows go.... The TB size is measured by the BLADE, not the ID of the opening, or "mouth". The opening actually tapers down to the blade, hence why an SLP or a stock bellows fit fine on a 90/92 TB. Stock MAF and stock bellows here, and no problems.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ yup yup that what I said

But I've read sticking issues with the Fast TB... maybe it was 90. But I would STILL go with Ol Nick Williams!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Odd information in here.

The Fast 90 TB is the one that had the sticking issues. No issues with the 92 that I've ever heard.

You don't need a full hardware kit, just the button head bolts. Also youll need the 4 bolts for the TB.
Since you're right there anyways, I would go ahead and do the 04+ LS6 valley.

If the intake is used, I would replace the intake seals AND the rope gasket on the inside. If there was any oil in the intake it will mess with that rope gasket and leak eventually. It gives you an opportunity to clean the inside also. I put both halves in the dishwasher, myself. NO DRYING though. Let it air dry.

As far as the bellows go.... The TB size is measured by the BLADE, not the ID of the opening, or "mouth". The opening actually tapers down to the blade, hence why an SLP or a stock bellows fit fine on a 90/92 TB. Stock MAF and stock bellows here, and no problems.
Kool Thanks , The intake is a brand new 92 Black Edition I`ll wait till I end up doing the heads to do the valley cover just trying to stay on buget since I won`t be doing the work myself , can I re-use the stock TB bolts ?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the 92 is 4bolts. Stock is 3. Plus I dnt think ther are threads in the mani. You need longer bolts and nuts on Back. That how I did my FAST78
Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Ahh I see that might be a problem then LOL ! I`ll just go to the local performance parts store and pick some up when the time comes .
Old 07-03-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nevermind the "performance parts store" just go to local hardware store lol...
Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

EDIT : Picked up the intake from the post office couple days ago !
I have the oil pressure sending unit , MAP sensor & LS6 cooling tubes on the way .
Now Just need to order the TB & intake gaskets . I might end up doing the work myself instead of farming it out can`t be to difficult right ?

Name:  IMG_0979.jpg
Views: 3487
Size:  169.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0978.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  140.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0980.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  167.5 KB

Last edited by 99canadahawk; 07-17-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Puting the intake on is a cake walk go to ls1howto and on the head swap it gives a great description of how to put on the intake including torque specs. I just got the new black intake to it looks great! Also about the maf it's not worth geting one unless you get a 98mm or bigger lid which I would recommend doing the lid and maf to see the full potential of the intake. Not saying you won't pick up a decent amount of power but your leaving some on the table you should just do the work yourself and get more parts. Trust me swapping intakes is super easy took me an hour
Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's the same difficultly as other intakes(except 102s)

Make sure you use the button head valley cover bolts, LS6 coolant lines, foam pads(WS6store FelPro gasket kit) and proper TQ specs and your good.

If you need any help check out

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

Goodluck with swap!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Sweet thanks ! never done an intake installl before LOL ! So I will need the valley cover bolts even though I wont be installing the LS6 valley cover ?

Thanks .
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I glued my MAP sensor on the intake with some silicone.ls1 coolant lines will fit if carefully bent .but you can use 2 ls6 coolant lines also.

Quick Reply: FAST 92 Intake Manifold Install , What Will I Need ?