Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, smoke on startup

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help, smoke on startup

I have a LS1 from a 2003 vette that I put in my FFR Daytona Coupe. I finally got it running well on a base tune from a 2002 firebird. It has not been tuned on the dyno yet. The engine starts and runs pretty well.

Recently the engine has started to smoke on startup and initially on acceleration. Then after the 1st 5-10 seconds of driving the smoke clears. It is almost like something is draining into the exhaust or cylinders after shutdown and then burns off quickly upon startup. I pulled the plugs and cycled the engine and had a couple of drops of fluid in the #2 and #7 cylinders that puddled in the plug holes. The fluid feels more like oil than coolant. How would oil get into the cylinder after shutdown? Smoke only happens on the left side so #2 does not make sence. On startup the smoke appears white and it is fairly light. On acceleration the smoke appears blu and is thicker for about 5 seconds and then is burned off and is almost non-existant.

So I am thinking head gasket as I initially had a hard time getting all the air bled from the coolant system. Just idled while trying to burp the system and saw 233 degrees on the Tech2. I finally found the secret LS air bleed technique and the coolant system is working well, but wondering if I hurt something in my non-LS approved burping process. Outside of the smoke on startup the engine runs well and oil is clean.

I have not done the leak down test yet, but will this week. Is it possible to get oil in a cylinder after shutdown? Any help is appreciated!

Mike
Old 07-02-2012, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like worn valve stem seals.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sepsis
Sounds like worn valve stem seals.
I am starting to think you are right. I ran a dry compression test tonight and all 8 were 195-200. I also pressurized all 8 at TDC and had no bubbles from coolant.

I will probably do new valve seals soon and see if it helps.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it that's what it is man. Luckily it's not too big of a problem.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

if you have the stock PCV setup it also puts a lot of oil in the intake
Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 AM
Banned

A little oil pools up on the valve bowls. When you start it, it burns off then its good to go. Had it with a few cars with aftermarket heads. Not a big deal. Just keep an eye on your oil levels.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys for all the help! I have a 10 qt oil pan so running out of oil won't be a problem.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

I just ran my 1st autocross in the car and man was there smoke on launch and after a 1.5G sweeper. I have done the driver side valve seals, but I am wondering if the problem is because I don't have a pcv system.

I left the line the runs from the pax side valve cover to the intake, but I just stuck a breather in the large hole in the drivers side valve cover. Guess what...the drivers side is the doing all the smoking. This dawned on me as I was replacing the valve seals as the bottom of the seals have no rubber gasket. It is just metal on metal so how is it supposed to seal????? I am guessing a little vacuum applied via pcv keeps the oil from migrating through the bottom of the valve seals.

Ideas????

Quick Reply: Help, smoke on startup