Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install...DONE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Header Install...DONE!!!

Just got done installing the Edelbrock Victor Race Headers and holy mamma mia they are sexy!!! They are stepped 1 7/8 to 1 3/4 with a big ol 3.5" collector.

Just wanted to do this post this because I havent seen many post about the Edelbrock headers being installed let alone much about them in general.

Honestly the removal of all the stock exhaust pissed me off more than putting these in. I've heard many good install stories along with many horror stories. Personally I don't think it could have gone any smoother.

I started with the driver side, had to remove all the plugs and wires, the oil filter, the little block (held on by 2 bolts) above the oil filter and put a small dent in the firewall...no worries the headers hide the dent nicely. After that getting the right angle with a buddy up top to pull them up, they slid right in.....all bolt on this side are easy to get to

Passanger side.....little more of a PITD but nothing I wasnt expecting. Needed more clearance, as this has to go in nearly straight up and down so jacked the car up about another 8". This side I only had to remove the plugs,wires, and the starter had to come off. Then they slide right up.
---Random wires on this side along with trans lines were right against the header so I relocated a bit of stuff and then wrapped anything that was within an inch or two from header.

Couple thoughts of advice.....take your time, patience is a virtue, and have a buddy or two help you out...it took me about 15 hours total( includes beers, smokes, tie rod on ladies truck, and random mischief.

I will have pics/ sound clip uploaded but it will be a few days since I'm making a sudden trip to Ceder Point tomorrow morning.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 3/4 to 1 7/8

I have the same ones and they went in perfectly. Just a little grinding on the little square thing on the drivers side and I also raised the back end of the car to get the passenger side in, but otherwise, it was pretty good.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

need to do mine 1 day. sounds like it went great. good work
Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

What are you running for a Y pipe? Custom or does Edelbrock make a Y?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had these too....untill a huge peice of concrete in the road crushed the driver-side : ( Now I've got 1 7/8 TSP's : )
Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fst_Byrd
Just got done installing the Edelbrock Victor Race Headers and holy mamma mia they are sexy!!! They are stepped 1 7/8 to 1 3/4 with a big ol 3.5" collector.

Just wanted to do this post this because I havent seen many post about the Edelbrock headers being installed let alone much about them in general.

Honestly the removal of all the stock exhaust pissed me off more than putting these in. I've heard many good install stories along with many horror stories. Personally I don't think it could have gone any smoother.

I started with the driver side, had to remove all the plugs and wires, the oil filter, the little block (held on by 2 bolts) above the oil filter and put a small dent in the firewall...no worries the headers hide the dent nicely. After that getting the right angle with a buddy up top to pull them up, they slid right in.....all bolt on this side are easy to get to

Passanger side.....little more of a PITD but nothing I wasnt expecting. Needed more clearance, as this has to go in nearly straight up and down so jacked the car up about another 8". This side I only had to remove the plugs,wires, and the starter had to come off. Then they slide right up.
---Random wires on this side along with trans lines were right against the header so I relocated a bit of stuff and then wrapped anything that was within an inch or two from header.

Couple thoughts of advice.....take your time, patience is a virtue, and have a buddy or two help you out...it took me about 15 hours total( includes beers, smokes, tie rod on ladies truck, and random mischief.

I will have pics/ sound clip uploaded but it will be a few days since I'm making a sudden trip to Ceder Point tomorrow morning.

This is what I always say. As a matter of fact taking my transmission out was less of a pita than messing with the damn catback imo. Its just one of those jobs that suck. Then no matter what I do theres always some rattle from the over axle pipe
Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Banned

!!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Plan is to run true duals over the axle and out the back, so its an xpipe instead. However, my daily driver just lost reverse and 2nd so im kinda busted on cash....ended up just doing dumped magnapacks befor the axle for moment....sounds mean as ****!

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
I had these too....untill a huge peice of concrete in the road crushed the driver-side : ( Now I've got 1 7/8 TSP's : )

Well ill probably get those if i they get too beaten up. the tsp's are nice!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

There is a lot of info on these headers in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...rs-yes-no.html
I installed mine with no problems, didn't remove the starter, coil packs, and didn't grind anything.

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Edelbrock does make a Y-pipe but it is discontinued just like the headers. I got mine from a site sponsor in January, so they might still have some in stock.

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
How do the TSP's compare, can you tell any power difference between the stepped vs straight 1 7/8?