Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this intake/exhaust setup work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will this intake/exhaust setup work?

Right now these are my only engine mods so far... I have the TSP Rumbler, SLP Lid, K&N Filter, BGRA !FRA,... but I want to get FFRA, LS6 manifold, ZO6 MAF, JBA or Hooker Shortys, and a custom Y pipe with stock cats? Will all that be compatible or is there anything unnecessary. I live in Cali and I am not getting LTs because I want to pass smog (the legal way). Any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:10 AM
TECH Resident

The only thing I see that is more than likely pointless is the FFRA (Fast Toys Ram Air). You already have the WS6 hood which can be made into a decent ram air setup. Putting something infront of your radiator and then blocking of the front of the intake to make the FFRA a true Ram Air setup will negate the purpose of your hood.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would consider the SSRA if you guys think its better for my setup. I just read that more air is better on our LS1s.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FTRA is valuable on WS6 and SS cars. It's much better than either of the hood setups.

Dope
Old 04-05-2004, 03:06 AM
TECH Regular

Bullshit. The hoods with the free ram air mod works better. All that ftra does is heat up your car because lack of airflow to the radiator now, and suck up water and sand like crazy. racrx
Old 04-05-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Untrue. The free ram air mod is basically half of what the FTRA is.

I had an 00 SS and currently have a 98 SS. FTRA on both cars produced noticable gains, even over a sealed airbox. The WS6 setup, sealed, is better than the SS but still not as good as FTRA. Neither of my cars heated up, and neither of them suck up sand and/or water. The FTRA on the 00 was 4 years old when I sold that car. Cleaned the K&N once.

Dope
Old 04-05-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

do shortie's really flow that much better than the stock exhaust manifolds? Just wondering if you could save some money and not worry about purchasing them, I would do some searches for that before you buy anything. As far as those aftermarket ram air setups, i dont have any experience with them, i have my own home-made setup on my car. I think if you have the time to do it that is the best way to go. Do some research before you spend any money, thats all im saying.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dope
Untrue. The free ram air mod is basically half of what the FTRA is.

I had an 00 SS and currently have a 98 SS. FTRA on both cars produced noticable gains, even over a sealed airbox. The WS6 setup, sealed, is better than the SS but still not as good as FTRA. Neither of my cars heated up, and neither of them suck up sand and/or water. The FTRA on the 00 was 4 years old when I sold that car. Cleaned the K&N once.

Dope
Well if the airbox is unsealed with the FTRA then you basically are not getting ram air, you would only be getting cold air. Like you have said however their is a gain from using both the hood and the FTRA so it might be worth it. If you get the SSRA then I think there will be a noticable gain with or without the sealing of the airbox.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blk~2000~Z28
Well if the airbox is unsealed with the FTRA then you basically are not getting ram air, you would only be getting cold air. Like you have said however their is a gain from using both the hood and the FTRA so it might be worth it. If you get the SSRA then I think there will be a noticable gain with or without the sealing of the airbox.
Ram air is a myth. All you ever get is cold air. There was a very in depth and scientific article about this linked on the boards before but I have no idea where it is.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by racrx
Bullshit. The hoods with the free ram air mod works better. All that ftra does is heat up your car because lack of airflow to the radiator now, and suck up water and sand like crazy. racrx
FTRA or something like it will work better than the free fram air. As someone else stated, FRA is less of the same compared to the FTRA. I have SLP CAI (same basic thing) and it doesn't run noticeably warmer.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I run a Whisper Ram Air setup (just like FTRA) and a WS6 hood with the baffles out. Not sealed up. I like all the air my motor can get.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone have experience with the ZO6 MAF because I have read that a lot of guys are running Pace or Granatelli. Which one is best, I just like the fact that GM has done thousands of hours of R&D and it should be pretty good. Keep in mind that my car is my daily driver and my only car (otherwise I'd get LTs, but I don't think I could handle a car that loud). Which MAF will give me the best gains for my current setup, I can't get H/C for a few years. Damn COLLEGE!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Ram air is a myth. All you ever get is cold air. There was a very in depth and scientific article about this linked on the boards before but I have no idea where it is.
I agree; cold air induction along the shortest path is very efficient.

Back on topic, your setup sounds good. I would go with custom-Y (~$150) and 2 carsound cats ($100), it'll be worth it. Also there's no doubt gasket matching and porting shorties are worth flow.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, I'm newish, so forgive my ignorance...I'm just bought a 2000 SS, straight stock...a friend is telling me to grab the SLP CAI system (FlowPac) - http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...RTNUMBER=21047 - I'm not quite clear on what the differences are between CAI systems and the FTRA, for example...the FTRA isn't a CAI, is it? If not, whats the difference between it and the CAI stuff? Thanks!
Old 04-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tiznobias
Hey guys, I'm newish, so forgive my ignorance...I'm just bought a 2000 SS, straight stock...a friend is telling me to grab the SLP CAI system (FlowPac) - http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...RTNUMBER=21047 - I'm not quite clear on what the differences are between CAI systems and the FTRA, for example...the FTRA isn't a CAI, is it? If not, whats the difference between it and the CAI stuff? Thanks!

Never mind guys, I found a good thread with the info. Sorry for the re-posting of already answered questions!