Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew a header gasket - Any tips for a noob?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew a header gasket - Any tips for a noob?

I was headed down an on-ramp at near-WOT and suddenly heard a small pop and then constant ticking when giving it throttle after that. Drove it home, jacked it up and started snooping around. It didn't take long to find this on the bottom side of the passenger header in the back:

Is there a better gasket than what I already have that might be more beefy/durable/reliable? They are Pacesetter headers that came with the car. The previous owner said he only put about 1,500 miles on them before I bought it and I've put maybe 1,000 miles on it since I bought it last summer, so its not like these are old gaskets and the car was plenty warmed up before I stepped on it. I'd rather not replace these every 2,500 miles.

Also, any tips to make the removal/reinstallation of the header easier? I shouldn't have to completely remove the header, right? I figure I can just loosen the bolts, take out the old gasket, put on the new one and then tighten things down. Anything else I don't know about?

Many thanks.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get the GM MLS exhaust manifold gaskets. I'd spray down all around the header bolts the day or evening before, really good! You'll want to separate the headers from the heads far enough to clean off any/all gasket material stuck to the heads or headers otherwise you'll be doing this again before you know it. Put a little bit of anti-seize on the first 1/4" of thread on the header bolts before reinstalling them. Use a torque wrench and tighten to spec, start in the middle then work your way out farther left and right until there all tightened. Repeat the torque sequence a couple times to verify that all bolts are still tightened to spec.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Teching In

What is the torque spec for the header bolts?

EDIT: Nm found it elsewhere.

Last edited by LongbowFoSho; 08-17-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another good tip, spray both side of the GM gasket with copper gasket spray.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Teching In

I just bought some Percy gaskets on Summit. Is that spray compatible (or necessary) with those?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First pass 11ft.lb., then 18ft.lb. on second pass.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LongbowFoSho
I just bought some Percy gaskets on Summit. Is that spray compatible (or necessary) with those?
The engine builders I know use copper gasket spray on all their head gaskets and header gaskets. I use it as well. Just ensures a perfect seal.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should have gone with the OEM manifold gaskets.. they are reusable and no aftermarkey gasket seals as good as the OEM ones.. i didnt have spray but i coated both sides with copper RVT and ive ran them for 10k miles no leaks yet.. used factory bolts with anti sieze
Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Good info, thanks.

Quick Reply: Blew a header gasket - Any tips for a noob?