Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got My GMMG installed !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got My GMMG installed !!!

Woohoo got my GMMG installed today and

It's unfreakingreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the Corsa on it before and it was nice but this is just bloody mean sounding.

Only issue so far is that 1800-2000 rpm's have a little drone or maybe just a little louder than i was used to inside the car. I've got some QTP LT's and ORY coming in a coupla weeks and hopefully they will helpl

Big thanks to everyone who posted so much information and helped to convince me that this is the way to go
Old 04-06-2004, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad ya like it man !!!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Install the LT's and that will take care of the drone. You will like how it sounds even more.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackbird4
Install the LT's and that will take care of the drone. You will like how it sounds even more.
I disagree with blackbird4.

Once the LTs and ORy go on, be prepared for the car to be a LOT louder at every RPM -- and for it to be defeaning at WOT.

I run PPC LTs, ORY, and Corsa cat-back. Highway cruise at 1700 RPMs is a good 3 to 4 times louder than it was with the stock manifolds, y-pipe, and Corsa cat-back by itself. Don't get me wrong, I love the way it sounds... but if you want a quiet cruise (or quiet anything for that matter) do not get headers and ORY...
Old 04-06-2004, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Congrats on your exhaust choice!

Ahh I remember back almost a year ago I had my GMMG installed.

The moment the tech fired it up on the lift...

I had the biggest and dumbest grin on my face.

I still love it, I just can't wait to get some LT's and cam in her now!
Old 04-06-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Jay. The GMMG will get raspy without cats. Some like it, some don't. I didn't.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

That is aweome I am waiting on mine to arrive I cant wait! Congrats !!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Well I got a coupla weeks before my QTP's get here

It's not really loud at cruise now, just when compared to the Corsa at cruise it is slightly noticable louder.

It actually seems to be quiter at idle than my Corsa though :shrug: but as soon as you hit the loud pedal that changes
Old 04-06-2004, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rice Eater 316
Well I got a coupla weeks before my QTP's get here

It's not really loud at cruise now, just when compared to the Corsa at cruise it is slightly noticable louder.

It actually seems to be quiter at idle than my Corsa though :shrug: but as soon as you hit the loud pedal that changes
Amplify the cruise volume 3 times, and amplify the WOT volume 10 times... and that is what it is gonna sound like with the LTs and no cats.

If that's what you're looking for, then rock out! But be prepared...
Old 04-06-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm does that mean I should get the Y-pipe with the carsound cats??? I don't want it to be an ear ache driving it.

How much hp will I lose with the Carsound cats in the y pipe??
Old 04-06-2004, 08:37 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why didnt you like the Corsa? I was going to go with a Corsa for my next LS1, but I also have the GMMG in the back of my mind too...
Old 04-06-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

The Corsa was nice but a little too tame for me with cats. Other than that it was an excellent exhaust. Plus the Corsa was on the car when I bought it so i didn't spend any money on it
Old 04-06-2004, 08:52 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fair enough!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jay02LS1ws6
Amplify the cruise volume 3 times, and amplify the WOT volume 10 times... and that is what it is gonna sound like with the LTs and no cats.

If that's what you're looking for, then rock out! But be prepared...
3 times louder than the corsa or louder than it is with the Macs and cats
Old 04-06-2004, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

You are gonna love it. This catback sounds bad as hell, I just got it on my car last week and I went from the hooker to the GMMG. It rocks
Old 04-06-2004, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Let me put it to you another way...

Last spring, I bought my Corsa cat-back. I took off the stock cat-back on a Friday night. Just to have a little fun, I drove the car around with no muffler at all -- it ended right at the y-pipe.

Once I installed the Corsa the next morning, I found that the exhaust note seemed to be a little bit tamer than stock during cruise, but grew much louder at WOT and high RPMs. I liked it

Then I put the long tube headers on, removed the catalytic converters, and went with an off-road y-pipe. This setup is LOUDER than the car was the night I drove around without the muffler.

However, it is totally throttle dependant. At idle, you won't notice a difference much at all (probably because your ears will still be ringing from the last WOT run, lol)... but at WOT, your car's exhaust note will resemble that of a race car. It is totally awesome, but your days of hot-rodding arounf crowded public streets will be over, because you will attract the attention of everyone within a mile radius with a simple blip of the throttle.

I am not trying to scare you away from it. I love it. But, as soon as I heard it, I knew it wasn't for everybody. If you want the meanest, most aggressive sound possible... well have fun!

By the way -- I am sure cats would tame it down substantially and only cost you 5 HP or less.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rice Eater 316
3 times louder than the corsa or louder than it is with the Macs and cats

Oh ****, I didn't even realize it... you already have headers. WOW... ok, I am done talking out of my *** now. Have fun -- it will be louder, but if you can handle where you are at, you should be fine.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Oh ****, I didn't even realize it... you already have headers. WOW... ok, I am done talking out of my *** now. Have fun -- it will be louder, but if you can handle where you are at, you should be fine.
It's ok man I appreciate all input. Yeah right now MAC headers and Y pipe w/ cats. Going to QTP LT's and ORY, well that's the plan anyways. You scared me for a second there LOL

I'm not so much worried about WOT as I am about the sound level inside while cruising @ 65MPH doing 1800-1900 rpm.

Thanks for input guys, keep it coming
Old 04-07-2004, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

I disagree with blackbird4.

Once the LTs and ORy go on, be prepared for the car to be a LOT louder at every RPM -- and for it to be defeaning at WOT.

I run PPC LTs, ORY, and Corsa cat-back. Highway cruise at 1700 RPMs is a good 3 to 4 times louder than it was with the stock manifolds, y-pipe, and Corsa cat-back by itself. Don't get me wrong, I love the way it sounds... but if you want a quiet cruise (or quiet anything for that matter) do not get headers and ORY...

No I would not do away with the cats,I meant just installing LT's and keeping cats. Jay are absolutely right would be alot louder.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:58 AM
Teching In

So what did you wind up doing with the corsa???