Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exaust gasket opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exaust gasket opinion

i need opinion on exaust gaskets. currently using american racing grafite,and think i have a leak. bought some stock ls1's at the dealer.13 bucks apiece. people say the stock MLS is best, true?? i gots fat arms so it's gonna be tight, any pointers for the oldman??? pull plugs first?? wires? i have no a.i.r. need to disconnect the steering shaft?? do i notch the outer holes in gasket to ease install,or will this cause a leak?? will be able to do this with ease up top or lay on my back underneath??? thanks ls nation in advance.. the oldman....
Old 08-31-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

MLS gaskets for sure. i throw the others away. doesnt say if you have headers or not, but i would loosen the exhaust from whatever its connected to. good luck
Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

i have american racing headers installed, i've put gaskets on with motor out in k-member but not in car.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Pull the wires for sure an if ya want pulling the coil pack bracket will help but not needed. I used stock gaskets with some copper spray on both sides. Should be able to do it all from the top. Dont forget some anti seize on the bolts when ya put it back together. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MLS here too. when i swapped mine (it wasnt a leak in the end but i was paranoid) i didnt remove the plugs, i pulled the wires only for the driver side and took me no longer than 15 mins. but i removed the coil packs for the passenger side but i my hands are quite tiny and am a dentist haha i can squeeze in there good luck!
Old 09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MLS is definitely the way go. Simply pull the wires, plugs, and possibly coils to make it easy on you and swap the gaskets. Shouldn't take you long at all.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

thanks folks . i'll be hitting this chore while the remains of the hurricane blows thru my atrea thanks again LS nation. the oldman....
Old 09-01-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

hey Aaron @ texas speed i'm gonna look for you guys at the lsx shootout in indy. to talk naturally N/A stock bottom. i got my old LS1 with 70k on it i want to bolt on. the oldman...

Quick Reply: exaust gasket opinion