Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start after winter hibernation

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car won't start after winter hibernation

All right, here's the deal.

The car is a 1999 C5 FRC. It has sat for 4.5 months under cover, with no battery. I put in a charged optima red top, and it won't start. Here's a video file of exactly what happens:

http://fear.net/~dope/startup.zip (just unzip it, I didn't want people streaming it).

The fuel pump is turning on, you can hear it. The schrader valve on the fuel rail shoots fuel heavily and constantly if it is pressed in. Checked fuses for fuel pump, injectors, ignition, pcm, etc.. Disconnected MAF to see if it would work in speed density mode. Used autotap to see if the PCM was dead - could read any parameters I added (RPM, etc). Only codes were MAF codes from trying to start it with the MAF disconnected. Checked the filter, it's not clogged up (no mouse nests). Exhaust is free and clear. Car is definitely getting gas somehow, after a few attempted starts you can smell it.

Only thing I haven't done yet is pull a plug and see if it's sparking. I'm pretty damn sure it is, cuz if you check the video out, you can see that it starts for a split second and then stops. Once in a while it will sound like it is nearly started and then it just dies.

Car has a T1 cam, ported heads, headers, bolt-ons, etc. I do have LS1edit. I was thinking about setting the idle really high (like 2000+ rpm) to see if it would start up. I was thinking maybe since the computer was reset by leaving the battery unplugged so long, it's failing to start cuz it doesn't know how to idle. I checked all the plugs/wires connections, coil pack connectors, etc. Car worked great before it was parked. No mouse nests or droppings anywhere to indicate something may have been chewed.

Another thing, is that I didn't use Stabil. Bad move, but do you think old gas clogged the injectors? Remember, it sat for 4.5 months or so. The fuel that comes out of the fuel rail schrader valve is clear and 'looks' fine. I dumped a bunch of Lucas fuel system/injector cleaner in the tank, think I can dump anything else in that might help? I have lots of random stuff, fuel injector cleaner, stabil, octane booster, etc.. Even starter fluid.

Oh well. Any advice that can be given would be great. It's Saturday so I can't bring it anywhere for a few days.

Thanks,
Dope
Old 04-10-2004, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

linky no workie
Old 04-10-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn you're too fast. Still has 4 mins to unload.

Dope
Old 04-10-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Done uploading.

Dope
Old 04-10-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't use Staybil and my car started right up after sitting more then five months, I'd say because you didn't have the battery connected the car was trying to relearn it's self and before it could start it became flooded. Probabaly the best thing would be to remove the plugs and crank it over a few times, that should clear the combustion chamber. Good luck and keep us informed.

Al
Old 04-10-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's starting to be what I think. I pulled a sparkplug and it is completely black and smells heavily of gas.

Here's a pic of the one I pulled:

The ceramic was cracked and broken too but I think I did that in my haste to remove it. I put in one of my old stock plugs and it practically started but then died again. Next try - battery was dead. *sigh*. On the charger it goes. Think I'm gonna swap out all the plugs and see how she does.

Dope
Old 04-10-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Time for new plugs, I would still crank it over ( with plugs removed ) a liitle before you drop in the new plugs
Old 04-10-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just swapped out 6 plugs (it's dark and I don't feel like doing the back ones!). I couldn't crank it over with them out, cuz the battery died, heh.

It's on a charger, I will try it again in like an hour.

Dope
Old 04-10-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope, no change. Any suggestions on things to try?

Dope
Old 04-10-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

So is it trying to fire at all, if it is it could still be flooded and it wouldn't hurt to change the rear plugs. You didn't mention if it's cranking over fast enough, any other battery you could drop in?
Old 04-10-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you check out the video?

It fires for a split second and then immediately dies, every time. It's turning over very fast, it was a brand new freshly charged battery.

Dope
Old 04-10-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

What happens if you hold the throttle open when it fires?
Old 04-10-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dope
Did you check out the video?
Sure did, all I get is winace.com...sorry.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to download some unzip program to view it. Try www.winzip.com and download their evaluation version.

As for the gas pedal, it doesn't seem to matter what I do. It is opening, I have verified, but it has no effect at all on the starting. If you try to start it with the gas all the way to the floor, it doesn't fire at all, just cranks over until you let up on the gas.

Dope
Old 04-11-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

SO you are holding the gas pedal down when you are trying to start it?
Old 04-11-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have tried that. I have tried holding it a little. I have tried holding it not at all. I have tried hitting it as soon as the car 'catches'. Doesn't make any difference.

Dope
Old 04-11-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, if air is getting in, there are only 2 other things that need to also go in, fuel and a spark, you said it's sparking right? Is your tank full? (i know, dumb question) Do you have an aftermarekt FP?
Old 04-11-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tank is at least 3/4 full. Lots of gas comes out when I push the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Fuel system is completely stock, 23k miles on it. Fuel pump is energizing with the key. Spark appears to be good, at least on one side. I'll try the other side tomorrow.

The car basically jumps to life as soon as you start it, but for a split second.

I may pull the entire intake tract and disconnect the MAF tomorrow, just to eliminate things from the equation. It should still start in speed density mode.

Dope
Old 04-11-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

You may want to hook up a fuel pressure guage to make sure you're seeing enough fuel.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

That plug looked like . Wonder if that is gummed fuel?If so I wonder what the injectors look like?