Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD or MAF tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD or MAF tune

OK I thought I would ask a few of yall to see what you think. I am building a boosted 5.3 to start then a built ls1 car is a 6spd and I want to run water meth when I need it.
I want to be able to keep it chill on 500 for day to day driving but if need be turn it up and make 800-1000 on kill. Can this tune be doneor if the HP to high of a jump to have all in one tune and should I run a MAF or go SD. If so what maf goal is to talk softly but carry a big stick thanks for your help.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont understand a damn thing you're trying to say...
Old 10-31-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I dont understand a damn thing you're trying to say...
I think he's asking whether to go SD or MAF on his setup...in the most confusing way possible.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In stock trim the PCM can handle 511 g/s. Which limits you to about 500 rwhp FI. A custom SD 2-3 bar OS can handle much more power. You can scale all airflow related tables and keep the MAF and make big power. Tried and true path is custom OS SD.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the confusion, I wanted to know SD tune or MAF tune. I Want to run 500 HP normally and 900 on kill. This will be a daily driver, and will need street manners, needs to be able to adjustment boost and not have to get it retuned. Temperature and altitude changes I want the tune to compensate for. I hope that's better to understand.

Last edited by Blastin; 11-02-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by white01ss
In stock trim the PCM can handle 511 g/s. Which limits you to about 500 rwhp FI. A custom SD 2-3 bar OS can handle much more power. You can scale all airflow related tables and keep the MAF and make big power. Tried and true path is custom OS SD.
So my understanding is to go with a 2-3 bar map tune. Witch is better 2 or 3? How do SD tunes do with tempature and Altitude and cross country driving?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

2 or 3 bar depends on the boost level. I think you can use a ZR1 MAP, but I'm not sure.

And ............. ^^^ this.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blastin
Witch is better 2 or 3?
A 2 bar MAP goes to 15 psi or about 700 rw, but you can make more with it but your PCM won't be able to "see it". 3 bar measures a max of 28 psi of boost or a gazillion hp.

For example, before going 2 bar SD on my car, it made 540 rw at 9 psi. Still had the 1-bar MAP in there so it had to be tuned for WOT/9psi at 1 bar even though it was really at 1.6 bar. So pegging your MAP means your PCM can't be tuned for part throttle, only WOT making part throttle incredibly rich. But if you are only making a couple psi over the MAP max it's really not a big deal.

There's a whole debate over 2 bar/3 bar selection if you do a search.

Originally Posted by Blastin
How do SD tunes do with temperature and Altitude and cross country driving?
For temperature you will have to tune the startup enrichment table when it gets cold. Normal driving it's not an issue.

As far as altitude I don't have experience as I'm in north Texas where it's always 110'. I would guess that it could be a problem if you where driving cross country due to big changes in air density. I think if you were tuned at low altitude then going up into the thin air it would just get rich which won't hurt anything but mileage. Tuning at high altitude then coming down into dense air might cause a problem. If someone has direct experience that would be cool to share it.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Teching In

A 2 bar MAP goes to 15 psi or about 700 rw, but you can make more with it but your PCM won't be able to "see it". 3 bar measures a max of 28 psi of boost or a gazillion hp.

For example, before going 2 bar SD on my car, it made 540 rw at 9 psi. Still had the 1-bar MAP in there so it had to be tuned for WOT/9psi at 1 bar even though it was really at 1.6 bar. So pegging your MAP means your PCM can't be tuned for part throttle, only WOT making part throttle incredibly rich. But if you are only making a couple psi over the MAP max it's really not a big deal.

There's a whole debate over 2 bar/3 bar selection if you do a search.

For temperature you will have to tune the startup enrichment table when it gets cold. Normal driving it's not an issue.

As far as altitude I don't have experience as I'm in north Texas where it's always 110'. I would guess that it could be a problem if you where driving cross country due to big changes in air density. I think if you were tuned at low altitude then going up into the thin air it would just get rich which won't hurt anything but mileage. Tuning at high altitude then coming down into dense air might cause a problem. If someone has direct experience that would be cool to share it.
From the reading I have been doing Im thinking of doing a 2.5 map with a 3 bar OS I cant seem to find a maf that can do the same under 100mm

Quick Reply: SD or MAF tune