Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS1 Guy, Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LS1 Guy, Exhaust Question

Hey Guys,

Im all new to fbodys. Im 19 years old and ive been driving hondas for the past 4 years. I finally got sick and tired of them so I decided a few weeks ago to go and get my beloved 99 WS6. 64k original miles, Completely stock. I love it but Now I want her to talk to me. I want an aggressive tone but i dont want it to be extremely loud. What should I go with? Im sure there are 100s of exhaust threads, so Im sorry for creating another, but Im still trying to figure all this stuff out. Thanks in Advance.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome to the forums! Are you planning in having any future mods done to the car?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey man welcome to the forums , and welcome to American Muscle! Hah there's a sticky at the top of the external engines lll about a true dual exhaust set up which is by far the best sounding. If you don't want to break the bank there's nice catbacks out there and even on the classifieds. A nice set of headers with a catted/catless Y-pipe according to your emission laws/If you care lol, and a free flowing(stay away from flowmeter not good flow supposidly) cat back is the way a lot of guys go for sound and power! I have a B&B catback which is quiet on cruise and loudish on WOT, just too quiet for me and I put on a dmh electric cut out... sounds absolutely amazing always get compliments for how sweet it sounds. Just do a litthe searching and figure out what u like setup/sound wise and go from there.. if u want to save some pennies check out the classifieds usually always a nice set up for cheap!

Goodluck and welcome!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Black Panther- The Only Future Mods I Am Planning On Are Some 5.3 Heads Cut 35 Thousandths (Still Reasearching This), Some 1.8 Rockers, All The Free Mods, And A Tune.

Zder- I Am Loving The American Muscle So Far. And I was Thinking True Dual Exhaust But What Kindof Mufflers Should I Get? Im Not Use To The Whole V-8 Sounds. I Know On The Old 350s The FlowMasters Sound Great, But I Dont Know About Ls1s
Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the rockers...once you go cammed later on, youll be taking them back off in favor of stock rockers. If you want true duals, but you still want it relatively quiet, then you should probably look at magnaflows for the duals.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are tons of options out there for exhaust but if your looking into a true dual setup we offer an aggressive sounding setup listed below. There is several videos on youtube of the setup as well if you want to get an idea on sound, but it is loud! You are probably already aware but this setup will require the use of a set of longtube headers like our TSP 1 7/8s also listed on our website.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-372-tex...true-dual.aspx
Old 11-04-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well there is tons of great exhausts out there, i would also recommend True Duals with a X pipe, personally thats my favorite option and as of brand I will go with moez28... something not too loud nor quite
Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Moe Z28 Im Not Going With A Cam. If I Do Itll be A While Before I even Start Looking At Them. My Goal Is To Have A Stock Sounding/Looking TA For Grudge Races. So Is The 1.8 Rockers Still A Bad Idea?

Black Panther What Do You Think About GMMG? I Have Herd It On Videos But Never In Person. I Am Going To Look Up The Magnaflows Now.

Thanks So Much For Your Guys Help So Far
Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, if you plan on lowering the WS6 the skip the true-duals and go with a traditional cat-back exhaust, the SLP "Loud Mouth II" is a good system, and if it ends up being too loud after a while it can be easily upgraded to the SLP “PowerFlo” system.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/systems-1/

BTW, if you WS6 has a A4 trans then consider a 3600 stall TC; best Bang for the Buck!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 11-04-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

The 1.8 rockers also place additional strain on the valve guides. You can look through ThunderRacing's cam selection in the future for a stock sounding cam, or ask PredatorZ or PatG for a cam recomend.

IMO, Do a FAST 92 intake, spray, gears and a nice quiet CB with ARH LT's for a grudge car. ARH and Kooks are top notch, but the Kooks Y pipe isn't exactly the greatest.

Quiet exhaust? Look at the Hooker Aerochamber. It's supposed to be one of the best flowing and the quietest.

And Upgrade to some UMI LCA's and SFC's first thing! You get just as much bang for the buck out of SFC's as you would gears.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks Bayer-z28, I Havent really looking into much of this stuff. I do Love the way the Magnaflows sound though. What do you guys think about the 5.3 heads? I know They flow a few CFM short of the factory heads but they are cut 35 thousandths with ls1 valves.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlaineBakerWS6
Moe Z28 Im Not Going With A Cam. If I Do Itll be A While Before I even Start Looking At Them. My Goal Is To Have A Stock Sounding/Looking TA For Grudge Races. So Is The 1.8 Rockers Still A Bad Idea?

Black Panther What Do You Think About GMMG? I Have Herd It On Videos But Never In Person. I Am Going To Look Up The Magnaflows Now.

Thanks So Much For Your Guys Help So Far
GMMG is a great sounding exhaust, I personally do like the sound of GMMG, in my opinion its not too loud nor quite. Some of my friends have Corsa and it also has a great sound to it
Old 11-06-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a TSP Rumbler catback with an offroad ypipe and Edelbrock longtubes...it sounds great! Cant beat the price either...I got it for $239 plus shipping with no tips, and connected it into my factory center mount tips. Its made like an SLP loudmouth, but with a bullet muffler instead of a resonator and it sounds great. I had a loudmouth before and it was raspy and droned real bad at different engine speeds. The Rumbler catback does a little popping around 1800-2200 at part throttle, but is fairly quiet with a nice sound at idle and nice and loud with a good growl at WOT. I am very happy with it. There is no drone at all.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and stay away from flowmaster's 80 series crossflow muffler for fbodys...they dont flow very well, dont sound much louder than stock, and have been shown to lose power over a stock muffler.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go true duals right away man best sound ever on an fbody. I along with many other guys on here im sure ahve put more then one exhaust setup on their cars and finally went the true dual rought and couldnt be happier. The tone the sound is awazing. Plus no rasp which y pipes are known for. Welcome to the forum. I had the same ideas for my car. I got mine when i was 18 and havent looked back since.

Quick Reply: New LS1 Guy, Exhaust Question