Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeeling pig sound - bad pulley??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeeling pig sound - bad pulley??

Before my head and cam change my motor squeeled like a pig. After the head and cam swap it still squeels. From everthing I can tell, the sound is comming from an accessory pulley.

Some times the sqeeling is there, other times it is not; it does not vary when the AC or power steering is used, however. It really does not vary with the RPM either. It seems to be louder after a car wash or rainy day.

I have changed the following pulleys/parts with no help:

1. Power steering (new pump w/ old pulley pressed on)
2. Main idler tensioner pulley - pulley only (Thunder Racing unit with larger pulley shoulders - same main tensioner was re-used)
3. New belts (AC and main belts)
4. pulled the crank pulley and re-installed the stock unit after cam change (no difference in squeel)
5. New H2O pump (no change in squeeling)

I have a stethascope and I placed it on all the pulleys when the motor is on and the squeeling is ocurring. Unfortunately, I can't definatively identify the bad pulley or other cause. I suspect it is the AC tensioner pulley, however. I am assuming the two tensioners (not the tensioner pulleys) cannot make the noise since they only hold the pulleys with a spring-loaded arm; right?

Any other thoughts on how I should try to identify the mistery squeel?

Thanks...
Old 04-12-2004, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

here's one for you, try removing the oil fill cap and see if the noise goes away,,i had a car that had a mystery squeal and it turned out to be a vacume leak from one valve cover gasket [there's alot of vacume in the crankcase with no load]

good luck.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Really? Thanks; I'll try that.

Would this only identify a vacume leak in the passanger side head or will removal of the filler cap equalize both sides?

What other symptoms does a vacume leak have; the car runs great and pulls hard?

When I had the heads off , I obviously removed the valve cover gaskets; since they are re-usable I just bolted them on again... Since the car squeeled BEFORE the head and cam swap I am inclined to suspect the plastic intake manifold leaks rather than the valve cover.... In addition, the new heads are milled .055 which changes head/intake alignment slightly....

Come to think of it, the squeeling did occur a few months after I installed a new LS6 intake manifold; do you suspect the gaskets on that unit are bad?

Do the valve covers and the intake manifold pull the same vacume?

Thanks...
Old 04-13-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

It's always in your best interest to get new gaskets even if they are re-usable....
Old 04-13-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Any idea on how much vacume I should be pulling at idle? If this is low I asssume it has a vacume leak; right?
Old 04-13-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

probably tensioner pulley..get the ASP deeper groove one with the replaceable bearing!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

did you try removing the oilfill cap? did the noise go away? if the squeal went away then you hane a vacume leak to find it spray brake cleaner at suspected areas[valve covers,intake where it meets the head also there is a round piece where your map sensor is connected it is secures withn a o ring i have seen them leak vacume on occasion i allways smear some silicone around it when i do intake swaps. also to eliminate accessorys and pullys just take the belt and fire it up breifly this test could lead you in a new direction. good luck
Old 04-14-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

I haven't tried removing the oil filler cap yet.

Dump question: If I spray the suspect areas with brake cleaner (will silicone work too), how does this detect a vacume leak? Do you see bubbles around the leaking area?

I also installed an oil catch can in the PVC system; is this often a cause of vacume leaks too? I beleive the screeching started after I did the LS6 intake swap but before the oil catch can, new heads, new cam, etc.

If it does not have a vacume leak, I suppose I will replace the AC tension pulley. They cost $80 from the General (what a ripp off)

As retaliation, I will participate in the piston slapp class action litigation (tit for tat); right?