Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best and nicest sounding exhaust system ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best and nicest sounding exhaust system ???

I am going to be in the market for an LS! F-Bod soon and one of the first things I would want to do to it would be an exhaust system other than stock. I want the nastiest most badass sounding exhaust system, BUT, I also want it to look really good and perform real well also, I am not going to want it JUST because it sounds good, I want all around performance... sound, HP increse ( if they even are capable ) and cosmetic, I dont like cheap looking straight pipes, if you could provide me on what to get, let me know the setup... I dont want to bother with flowmaster because I hear go with anything BUT flowmaster, I also dont want to spend an arm and leg to get the set up, under $1000 bucks please.Thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Best one on the market is the LoudMouth from SLP - We reccomend our aftermarket tips to go with it however. We have Borla style and thick rolled tips available from several brands. We also couple them with Magnaflow's newrolled 12" long bright stainless tips on that exhaust which makes it look quite sinister. Looks like two chrome shotguns on each side. Aside from that Borla's adjustable kit is a no-lose kit with looks and durability. Our outher favorite is also BB Exhaust (great sound when you cut cats).
Old 04-12-2004, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

im a fan of the B&B myself....even tho it is PRICEY...well worth it...regardless of what you get..get a cutout too
Old 04-12-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

SLP loudmouth is a good exhaust but does not sound the best. It is very raspy and just plain loud. There is a sight out there will all types of sound clips of exhaust's.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here man this should help you.

hear it for yourself.
http://www.ls1sounds.com/
Old 04-13-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

FLP headers, w/ORP's, through an SLP dual-dual catback
Old 04-13-2004, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

SLP's loudmouth.. I picked up .3 sec/2.5 mph (12.92-12.62). They weigh less, cost less, sound great. They were a much better bang for the buck than headers on my bolt on car(12.62-12.36). BTW, I replaced the SLP dual-dual w/ the loudmouth.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Dual 3 inch cutouts after the collectors, $70 installed total. Then when you want you can cap it and it will sound like a sewing machine through the stock exhaust.

It's not loud enough unless it is rattling things off the wall in your house when you start it, and scares people when you start it in parking lots.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Best sounding no doubt is an duals w/ an X pipe. I have gotten so many compliments on the sound of my car its not even funny. A custom, high quality job exiting out the rear ( a lot of people dump before the axle) is gonna cost ya though! If you don't know what Im talking about look at Speed Incs duals and you can get a good picture of it.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Personally, I have received more compliments on my 2000 Formula with a Random Technology 3" catback, with their dual 3" high flow cats, and 3" y-pipe, then most other Fbodies combined. Everyone loves it, and only two people on the Hot Rod Power Tour said they preferred theirs better. Everywhere I drive that I get questions on what system it is. Even from Mustang owners.
The only problem was their system, when I bought it, was aluminized only. I know they have stainless steel now. But why spend the extra money, when all you really need are some nice tips?
JC
Old 04-13-2004, 02:10 PM
FormerVendor

MagnaFlow Good power, clean sound, NO rasp, all stainless, fits excellant, looks good and on GP now for $350.00 shipped.

Nate
Old 04-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Well...in my opinion, cat-backs like Corsa, B&B, Borla, GMMG, Bassani, etc are all extremely over-priced. For the amount of money one pays for just these cat-backs, he or she could take that money and invest in a full exhaust system including longtubes, ORY, and catback. Of course some people like to spend high dollar, but I don't think enough people spend their money wisely when it comes to performance gains. SLP loudmouth and Hooker cat-backs are probably two of the best flowing, best performing, and best priced cat-backs on the market, but each has a drawback. Most will say that the SLP loudmouth is sounds great using stock manifolds, but too loud and raspy with longtubes and ORY. The Hooker cat-back doesn't sound very intimidating using stock manifolds, but with longtubes and ORY it definately sounds mean. I went with longtubes, ORY, and the Hooker cat-back and am very impressed with both sound and performance. But exhaust is something that everyone differs on. It's really all about what YOU want.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound = duals, GMMG
Badass = duals, LM, GMMG
Looks = GMMG, B$B, Borla, and Corsa

Only my opinion. I have had an LM and now have duals.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Sound = duals, GMMG
Badass = duals, LM, GMMG
Looks = GMMG, B$B, Borla, and Corsa

Only my opinion. I have had an LM and now have duals.

Hows that Hotcam treatin ya?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

no this is awesome. SLP longtubes, off road pipes, SLP y/pipe, SLP loudmouth, replace the expansion chamber on the loudmouth with a borla XR-1 round muffler. Its not 2 loud and it sounds awesome. nice and deep in lower rpm and then it just screams in higher rpm. A lot of people love the sound of my car and i would really consider this. it has a better tone and without catz, the borla keeps it from bein too raspy.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Cat back only get the Loudmouth. With headers get true duals dumped at the axles. If you get headers and don't want to dump at the axles or pay out the butt for duals out the back then get a good catted Y-pipe (i recommend useing something like a carsound cats) to go with the loudmouth. Honestly, nothing can touch true duals for the best sound but if you want just plain nasty go with the loudmouth but USE CATS ALWAYS unless you have heard, IN PERSON, a car with the loudmouth and no cats and headers because it's REALLY loud (good thing IMO) and sounds so so so much worse (also IMO) than it does with cats.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Teching In

What catback system sounds good, but isn't overly loud at cruising speeds? Reason I ask is because I have to do a fair amount of freeway driving and the overly loud ones get old quick...my friend has a flowmaster catback on his Camaro that sounds great, but gets on his nerves on the freeway....
Old 04-14-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Cat back only get the Loudmouth. With headers get true duals dumped at the axles. If you get headers and don't want to dump at the axles or pay out the butt for duals out the back then get a good catted Y-pipe (i recommend useing something like a carsound cats) to go with the loudmouth. Honestly, nothing can touch true duals for the best sound but if you want just plain nasty go with the loudmouth but USE CATS ALWAYS unless you have heard, IN PERSON, a car with the loudmouth and no cats and headers because it's REALLY loud (good thing IMO) and sounds so so so much worse (also IMO) than it does with cats.
This man knows what he is talking about.