Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the 3" X pipe on...should have done it sooner!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got the 3" X pipe on...should have done it sooner!

The Mac headers sound alot better with the X pipe setup. Idle is sweet sounding through the 3" X and 16" dynomax bullets along with a healthy cam The overall look and sound is well worth the time and money IMO because the exhaust tone is much deeper and cleaner than the cutout and does not drone or rattle the car but if i don't gain much at the track the old Mac Y had to go either way,talk about being dwarf compared to the 3" setup haha! I'm going to the real dyno friday night (track) to see how it does and cross my fingers that the exhaust does not bump the floor pan on hard launches and cause KR.

I'll try to get some pictures of the hedman X pipe setup when i get some free time.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:04 AM

I am thinking of doing the same thing. Keeps us posted on the results.

Did you use the MAC ball flanges or convert to the 3-bolt flanges?

John
Old 04-13-2004, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JNorris
I am thinking of doing the same thing. Keeps us posted on the results.

Did you use the MAC ball flanges or convert to the 3-bolt flanges?

John
John,you will like the X alot better than the Y i think.

I cut the ball flanges and welded a 3 inch pipe in place to clean the exhaust flow out more. It looks like a modified long tube setup but i had to keep the stock bend in the Y pipe to keep from bending the **** out the the 3 inch tubing to fit to the header,so from the Y pipe bend back is where the X pipe kit starts.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by StreetStalkerZ
John,you will like the X alot better than the Y i think.

I cut the ball flanges and welded a 3 inch pipe in place to clean the exhaust flow out more. It looks like a modified long tube setup but i had to keep the stock bend in the Y pipe to keep from bending the **** out the the 3 inch tubing to fit to the header,so from the Y pipe bend back is where the X pipe kit starts.

Please post pictures when you can.

John
Old 04-13-2004, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

The pictures are on my web page in the sig. I'll try to get more on my next day off with the car on jack stands to get a full view of the exhaust but this should give a good idea of what it will look like with mac headers but the Y to X pipe will look fuller with a 3 inch collector on the long tubes. Maybe i can get some pictures later this summer with some Pacesetters

The drivers side sets a little lower to clear the floor pan and i did not want to add more clearance issues by droping the passenger side down more to level it. This kit tucked up close to the body and does not look any lower than the old Mac Y pipe and cutout.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:28 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to club X.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wanna join club x dammit... is there any possible way to make side exits or make a dumped x pipe with mufflers work on a daily driver (i drive about 10 miles total to and from work and another 15 out into bumfucked to visit the woman) How i say, HOW do i do it lol!
Old 04-13-2004, 08:52 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a pretty quiet setup now for True Dual standards.
Just last weekend at a dyno day, when my car was doing its pulls, people commented as to how surprised they were to hear a Dual setup that wasn't too loud. Heck, a Corsa setup there on a stock F-bod was much louder than my car.

The Magnaflow 4x9 Ovals do wonders to keep things tolerable on a dumped at the axle setup.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

im personally not too worried about sound. ferocity did a 4 muffler set up, and i think just for those purposes to keep it kinda quite i might do that. plus the first cop i showed the pic to (a buddy of mine) said "yeah thats ok cause it has cats {he thought the bullets were cats lol} but you need to atleast exit it infront but out past the rear wheels" so thats what im shooting for. who knows if ill have enough clearance. Ill be joining club x in a few days it looks like
Old 04-14-2004, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

I am a member of the X club. Now I need to be a member of the tunning club........................... ........................................... ............