Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

243 Heads instal q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 243 Heads instal q's

Alright gents, a few questions on 243 heads, pushrods and tuning. I apologize if this is in the wrong section, however, I feel I am close and I couldn't find a valve train specific forum. I've just bought a set of 243 heads and they are in great shape, never milled, never worked, maybe polished. Ive read that there is a pushrod length issue on ls1's and that is something I would like to clear up. Are the pushrods shorter or longer as a result of the head swap? If they are shorter can I not mil the heads down to match? Ultimately leading with more compression, and less money spent on pushrods?( I know they are not expensive) and do these heads require a tune? Thank you in advance for your consideration and advice.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

7.400 is stock length,the only way to know if measure and see what length you need. Since you said the heads are not milled and your using a stock head gasket you should be fine but I would still check. I would definitely get a tune if your swapping heads.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I see. I was looking to avoid the pushrod checker but I see I will have to nut up, fair enough, and I suspected the tune would have to happen as well. What about a cam? What would be the best cam for 243 heads?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please so a search. You are seeking information about the most common upgrades around the site. There is tons of info in the archives.

As with all engines , never guess clearences. You need to measure for proper pushrods.

You sound like you're new to mechanics so it would benefit you to go step by step on this one
Old 12-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Please so a search. You are seeking information about the most common upgrades around the site. There is tons of info in the archives.

As with all engines , never guess clearences. You need to measure for proper pushrods.

You sound like you're new to mechanics so it would benefit you to go step by step on this one
Not very new to mechanics, I've been working on cars for around 16 years now. However, when it comes to the dynamics of heads and cams I'm afraid I'm relatively ignorant, also assume that I have done a search and have come away either with more questions or a more confusing grasp of the concept than I had before. So, with your two insults, I will leave you with a piece of advice. If you cannot contribute, please move on.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mozmale
Not very new to mechanics, I've been working on cars for around 16 years now. However, when it comes to the dynamics of heads and cams I'm afraid I'm relatively ignorant, also assume that I have done a search and have come away either with more questions or a more confusing grasp of the concept than I had before. So, with your two insults, I will leave you with a piece of advice. If you cannot contribute, please move on.
All I was trying to state is the questions have been answered multiple times in the past. You get quicker answers by reading the old threads. I know how much frustrating it can be waiting for people to respond to post.

As for 16 years of working on cars and you ask if you need a tune by introducing new heads to an engine? If you need longer push rods?

Seasoned mechanics know the answers to these questions already. My apology for assuming your level to engines was entry, but your questions suggested so.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
All I was trying to state is the questions have been answered multiple times in the past. You get quicker answers by reading the old threads. I know how much frustrating it can be waiting for people to respond to post.

As for 16 years of working on cars and you ask if you need a tune by introducing new heads to an engine? If you need longer push rods?

Seasoned mechanics know the answers to these questions already. My apology for assuming your level to engines was entry, but your questions suggested so.
Again with the insults........ I won't tolerate anymore. It is not unreasonable to be ignorant with head and cam combos. However, as a former UNITED STATES MARINE, I only find comfort in solid, indisputable answers. Since I have found none, I found it necessary to ask. I won't brag about my accomplishments, but I will tell you that this tree that you are barking up is the wrong one. I'm knowledgable, but my weakness happens to be heads and cams, and it is the only weak end I own. Answer the question, or **** off.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mozmale
I only find comfort in solid, indisputable answers. Since I have found none, .

Your threats are not appropriate conduct on this friendly site We all get into debates on this site and some get heated, but there is a limit to "hey its just the internet"

Posting your own thread will not eliminate the multiple opinions of the members.

My suggestion is to measure for proper push rod length no matter what. An ECM tune will ensure your car runs properly.

Last edited by badazz81z28; 12-30-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on what your 243's came off of, you could run into pushrod length issues. The ones off a z06 will have slightly longer valves. With the ls6, The cam is ground on a smaller base circle, needing a longer pushrod, but the longer valves make up for that allowing the use of stock length pushrods.

Now, again, this is dependant on your valve length. If you're unsure on which valves you have, I would strongly suggest checking the pushrods for proper length.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1470922-checking-pushrod-length-i-m-not-getting.html

Here is a link to get you started on checking. It's really not a hard process, but the peace of mind it gives knowing your valvetrain is exact will keep you from 2nd guessing if something ain't quite right when it comes time to light it off.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Gentlemen and sometimes ladies, please excuse my conduct,

Badazz, youre still inflammatory. Threats? Please re read. Anyone else with a few pointers, I am more than happy to receive your suggestions
Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing to do is decide what you want to do with the car mod wise. If you plan on running a cam in the future, decide what cam you want and build the heads around the cam. It is best to measure pushrod length to be on the safe side. You will need a tune when swapping the heads or cam. The cheapest way is to get a mail order tune. Frost is very well respected in that category and should be able to get you squared away.

Quick Reply: 243 Heads instal q's