Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure of exhaust

I have a stock 2000 TA that I bought used about 5 years ago. I'm going to finally start modding it and am going to do ARH 1 7/8 w/ ORY. I am unsure of my catback. When I bought the car used, it came w/ the original sticker and it had an SLP Exhaust factory upgrade, in that case it should be the 20TL, correct? How can I know for sure, is there a marking of some sort? If it is the 20TL, I've read on here it's good flowing, so I'll likely stick w/ it

Thanks from the new guy!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Post up a picture if you can. But I would say its most likely the slp loud mouth cat back. I had the same upgrade from slp.

I cOuld make a more definite conclusion with a picture though

Cheers
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

You would know if you had the TOTL exhaust, it is easy to identify with the Two tips coming Out The Left side of the car. I don't think any LS1 car came with this exhaust, and also the only way your TA would have the SLP Dual/Dual from the factory is if it was a Firehawk. I have never heard of a "SLP exhaust factory upgrade." If you can post a picture someone would be able to tell you what it is.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just out of curiosity is the muffler in the middle of the car or the rear? I ask because when I got mine used I was told it had the SLP factory upgrade, but SLP does not use the LM 1 resonator as part of the factory upgrade lol
Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the SLP dual/dual, a stainless steel catback with dual tips on each side. Known for its mellow sound and pretty free flowing as well and sounds great with longtube headers at wide open throttle.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by floman
Probably the SLP dual/dual, a stainless steel catback with dual tips on each side. Known for its mellow sound and pretty free flowing as well and sounds great with longtube headers at wide open throttle.
This is exactly what I have, but it has the LM 1 resonator up in the I-pipe area. With my long tubes and ORY it sounds like crap, unless it's at WOT or idle where it sounds great lol
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z-camaro
You would know if you had the TOTL exhaust, it is easy to identify with the Two tips coming Out The Left side of the car. I don't think any LS1 car came with this exhaust, and also the only way your TA would have the SLP Dual/Dual from the factory is if it was a Firehawk. I have never heard of a "SLP exhaust factory upgrade." If you can post a picture someone would be able to tell you what it is.
Its if a car were sent to Slp after the factory. Mine is a z28, but was sent to SLP in NJ to get the ss, appearances and bolt ons. I'll post a picture of the door tag.

Last edited by Mattyfresh89; 12-30-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
This is exactly what I have, but it has the LM 1 resonator up in the I-pipe area. With my long tubes and ORY it sounds like crap, unless it's at WOT or idle where it sounds great lol
Did you have the crossflow dual/dual muffler in the back with the tips coming out of each side? I had that setup off of a SS Camaro and it sounded great at any RPM range. I had QTP stainless Longtubes and ORY and it had a great bark at WOT and was nice and reasonably quiet and mellow otherwise. Only thing that gave it away other than WOT was the Vigilanti 3600 conv It was the 98 Z in my sig and with just basic boltons, conv,3:42 rear ran 12teens w/1.66 60ft and pulled the driver tire a couple of inches off the ground.

OP, if your looking for something louder maybe change it out, but if you have the SLP dual/dual I'm talking about it flows great and sounds good without being obnoxious.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the repies guys.

Ill post some pics later today, it is a dual/dual, the muffler is in the center. There are no tags on either door. It does have the slp hood, its a ram air hood, but not a ws6. The top openings are closed off from the inside.

It has a nice sound as it is, i would rather not have to change it when i do the headers and ory.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by floman
Did you have the crossflow dual/dual muffler in the back with the tips coming out of each side? I had that setup off of a SS Camaro and it sounded great at any RPM range. I had QTP stainless Longtubes and ORY and it had a great bark at WOT and was nice and reasonably quiet and mellow otherwise. Only thing that gave it away other than WOT was the Vigilanti 3600 conv It was the 98 Z in my sig and with just basic boltons, conv,3:42 rear ran 12teens w/1.66 60ft and pulled the driver tire a couple of inches off the ground.

OP, if your looking for something louder maybe change it out, but if you have the SLP dual/dual I'm talking about it flows great and sounds good without being obnoxious.

Actually no, my muffler (resonator actually) is up in the y-pipe area. That might explain why mine sound so raspy and whatnot. The area in the back that you are talking about is nothing more than just a piece pipe on my car.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrBlockHed
Thanks for the repies guys.

Ill post some pics later today, it is a dual/dual, the muffler is in the center. There are no tags on either door. It does have the slp hood, its a ram air hood, but not a ws6. The top openings are closed off from the inside.

It has a nice sound as it is, i would rather not have to change it when i do the headers and ory.
That definitely sounds like what I have. From my understanding (from just SLP products) only the LM 1 and LM 2 will fit up in that area of the LS1.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mattyfresh89
Its if a car were sent to Slp after the factory. Mine is a z28, but was sent to SLP in NJ to get the ss, appearances and bolt ons. I'll post a picture of the door tag.

I am well aware of the SLP alteration process. The 2 Firehawks in my signature were sent to SLP for the Firehawk base alteration package, as well as other additional options. However as far as I know, the only Firebirds sent to SLP were made into Firehawks. Firehawk's came standard with the Dual/Dual exhaust where as SS's had the exhaust as an option.

Also that sticker in your door appears to be one that would have came on an LT1 SS's not the LS1's. LS1 SS's did not get an "air cleaner assembly" or "exhaust tips." Here is an example of an LS1 SS alteration sticker (and the sticker that lists the options is in the passenger door, not on the drivers door):

The one in your door could have been purchased off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLP-CAMARO-C...-/380465743677 Call SLP with the VIN to see if it is a real SS, and what options it came with, and what date it was built. Not trying to be a jerk, just saying.

OP, your hood could be a Firehawk (or similar, Raptor, superhawk...) or the SLP H.O. hood, does it have "heat extractors?"
Firehawk & Raptor:

H.O.:

The Dual/Dual exhaust is easy to tell from the bottom by the 8 weld "dots" on the bottom:

Last edited by z-maro; 12-30-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

There is no sticker on either door... Am I missing something, where exactly should I be looking?

Here are 2 pics of the exhaust.

It's dual dual coming out the rear. The hood looks like the one w/ the heat extractors (H.O. Hood)

I can't see the 8 weld spots underneath where my car is. I'll have to check it when I can

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails Not sure of exhaust-imag0391_burst001.jpg   Not sure of exhaust-imag0390.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

It's really hard to see but that doesnt look like a loudmouth resonator to me. Unless they changed how they are made. The loudmouth resonators gradually go to the 4" tubing while yours seems to have the piping welded onto the ends of the resonator.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z-camaro
I am well aware of the SLP alteration process. The 2 Firehawks in my signature were sent to SLP for the Firehawk base alteration package, as well as other additional options. However as far as I know, the only Firebirds sent to SLP were made into Firehawks. Firehawk's came standard with the Dual/Dual exhaust where as SS's had the exhaust as an option.

Also that sticker in your door appears to be one that would have came on an LT1 SS's not the LS1's. LS1 SS's did not get an "air cleaner assembly" or "exhaust tips." Here is an example of an LS1 SS alteration sticker (and the sticker that lists the options is in the passenger door, not on the drivers door):

The one in your door could have been purchased off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLP-CAMARO-C...-/380465743677 Call SLP with the VIN to see if it is a real SS, and what options it came with, and what date it was built. Not trying to be a jerk, just

OP, your hood could be a Firehawk (or similar, Raptor, superhawk...) or the SLP H.O. hood, does it have "heat extractors?"
Firehawk & Raptor:

H.O.:

The Dual/Dual exhaust is easy to tell from the bottom by the 8 weld "dots" on the bottom:

I appreciate your words, but the sticker is from slp, is for this car and wasn't taken from another car and stuck on there. I know it's not a true ss, never said it was, nor does it have the WU8 option. This is a car that was purchased as a z28 and at a later date sent for modification.

Interesting that they can come from Ebay... Maybe it is? Never heard of that before. I was told it had this sticker and nothing on the passenger door because I don't have the y2y option (if im remembering that correctly).

Maybe it's a fraud! Either way, doesn't battery to me. I knew it was a z28 dressed as an ss.. Some how the appearance mods were done prior to me buying it.

Last edited by Mattyfresh89; 12-30-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS

Can you post pics of yours, this way I can see what it looks like?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

[/QUOTE]

This is what my exhaust looks similar too, again I will look for the weld dots.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrBlockHed
There is no sticker on either door... Am I missing something, where exactly should I be looking?

Here are 2 pics of the exhaust.

It's dual dual coming out the rear. The hood looks like the one w/ the heat extractors (H.O. Hood)

I can't see the 8 weld spots underneath where my car is. I'll have to check it when I can

Thanks again.
The tail pipes look like the Dual/Dual or loudmouth, but I am 99% sure that is a flowmaster muffler. Also the H.O. hood doesn't have heat extractors..?

Originally Posted by Mattyfresh89
I appreciate your words, but the sticker is from slp, is for this car and wasn't taken from another car and stuck on there. I know it's not a true ss, never said it was, nor does it have the WU8 option. This is a car that was purchased as a z28 and at a later date sent for modification.

Interesting that they can come from Ebay... Maybe it is? Never heard of that before. I was told it had this sticker and nothing on the passenger door because I don't have the y2y option (if im remembering that correctly).

Maybe it's a fraud! Either way, doesn't battery to me. I knew it was a z28 dressed as an ss.. Some how the appearance mods were done prior to me buying it.
Weird. I am not familiar with the SS RPO codes, but that is interesting that it was sent to SLP after being purchased for the SS alterations. I had not heard of that before. But like you said, either way it doesn't really matter. Looks like a nice car.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is definitely not a dual dual muffler, looks like someone probably spliced in the muffler.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

So, if that's not a dual/dual and it's not a LM and possibly a flowmaster... I'm going to need a new catback when I do the headers and y... is that correct?

Quick Reply: Not sure of exhaust