Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF Delete

So i have been contemplation deleting my MAF off the intake. i have seemed to get better performance with it unhooked. what is your opinion on this?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your car is tuned for a maf and it runs better with it disconnected the sensor is probably bad.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
if your car is tuned for a maf and it runs better with it disconnected the sensor is probably bad.
I havnt had a tune yet, im waiting till i get my LT and cam setup before i have it tuned, i really dont want to buy another maf. would i be able to just delete it?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can have your tuner tune your car in speed density and you can get rid of the MAF all together. Speed density is a good way to get rid of that restriction (MAF) in the intake tract.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless your car is heavily modded, to the point where the maf is the restriction, leave it alone.

You're going to need a lot more than an intake and exhaust to max out the factory maf.

There are plenty of sub 10 second cars still running a maf. That alone should tell you something.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Do it. MAFs suck

Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not looking to.be the fastest out there. I just bought my K&N filter and from factory I have been told that the oil on the filter ruined my maf. I'm not going out to pay 150+ for a refurb and then lose my 60 from K&N. I would honestly like to just get rid of it.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

The k&n was your mistake. It has been proven over and over on here that it adds no power or filtering advantage. A good quality paper filter will do all the filtering your engine needs and not cost you any more power that a k&n won't.

Fwiw, you can pick up a stock maf on here for around 60 bucks...or pm me and I'll sell you one for 50.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I know that the K&N has no power advantage, and that it ruins the maf, that's aside from my point of deleting the MAF. Its another component I don't want to fail. And 50 bucks is something I don't have at the moment. I would like to get the use out of my K&N before I go back to paper.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

well it's either your out $60 for the filter or... keep your filter and spend $550 for a speed density tune. seems kind of silly to me.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Default keep your MAF

i agree with bww3588 your car is no where heavily modified to warrant a SD tune. did you try and clean your MAF first? if you havent try that first and use the actual spray to clean your MAF and not some other cleaner. and to reiterate
it will cost you 550 or more to get that kind of tune and not worth it for the little mods you have. i still run a MAF on my set up and its heavily modded so if you can get one for 50 id take it
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont really see your point here. what do you mean car runs better without it? how could you not have 50$ for a used maf and still want to tune? there is noway to delete your maf unless you tune. if its not broken then just leave it alone! regarding your K&N; more than half the members here use it including me. if you use it right it will not cause any harm. right now my maf is throwing a code and ironically it went bad when my K&N was NOT on the car..lol
Old 01-15-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
i dont really see your point here. what do you mean car runs better without it? how could you not have 50$ for a used maf and still want to tune? there is noway to delete your maf unless you tune. if its not broken then just leave it alone! regarding your K&N; more than half the members here use it including me. if you use it right it will not cause any harm. right now my maf is throwing a code and ironically it went bad when my K&N was NOT on the car..lol
because im not going to tune the car till i get my H/C install im not going to tune the car for 175 and then turn in a few months and spend it again, if i can tune it out i wont have to bother getting another maf. my maf right now is unplugged, if i plug it in, it seems to retard the car and i feel sluggish aha. i havnt cleaned my K&N since it only has 1500 on it. so unless the factory sent me one with "to much oil" on it then they owe me a new MAF ahahah
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your car is equipped with the worst intake for f-bodies but you're more worried about the oil on the maf?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by luigiandme
So your car is equipped with the worst intake for f-bodies but you're more worried about the oil on the maf?
please do explian. and how this contributes to removing the MAF
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

it seems as if you started this thread with your mind already made up. I'm not sure why you are asking for opinions here if you are not willing to listen or take the advice we are giving you. PICK UP A $50 WORKING USED MAF FOR NOW. after you get the rest of your work done and if your tuner thinks it's a good idea for you to go with a SD tune, then sell it and get your money back out of it. DONE!

Last edited by poltergeist 02; 01-15-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Here lies the problem...if your car is running better with the maf unplugged, you have bigger problems. Obviously it's not working properly, and the car has already reverted to open loop. Which is essentially, limp mode if it's still running a maf tune.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
it seems as if you started this thread with your mind already made up. I'm not sure why you are asking for opinions here if you are not willing to listen or take the advice we are giving you. PICK UP A $50 WORKING USED MAF FOR NOW. after you get the rest of your work done and if your tuner thinks it's a good idea for you to go with a SD tune, then sell it and get your money back out of it. DONE!
...the reason why I'm not buying another maf is because I'm only third one first being factory, they have only.been lasting about a week or two after cleaning
I don't believe that K&N would release a filter with "too much oil" on it.to be causing my mafs to fail. Reason I started this I wanted to know of it was possible and how.I would go by doing this, if I could do it myself. I didn't care to hear about how I should buy another maf just.to.have it destroyed by my K&N filter. Its redundant to place another maf on to just archive the same results. Albert Einstein said the definition of insanity is repeating something but expecting a different out come. And quite frankly I feel like this whole thread is the majority of you not even.addressing the bloody issue.. I'm asking how to go by deleting the maf off. That is what I WANT TO DO. If I wanted another maf I'd create a WTB: ad on the forum or I would go to my local parts store and buy a new one. So unless anyone cares to address my original topic of how to delete the maf this is dead. Thank you to the two people who actually addressed the issue. To all the others thank you for trying to run my car.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

what dont you understand, Unplugging the MAF is just as bad as having a shitty MAF. Your car is telling you its broken. When you have a broken arm do they just cut it off? no.

To unplug your MAF you need a speed density tune. Unplgging it without a tune is just having no MAF. Have you checked for engine codes?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 AM
12 Second Club

Agreed...your "issue" has been addressed and explained multiple times. Physically remove the maf, get a speed density tune. Done.

All it would have taken is a search on maf delete or speed density tune and you would have got what you're looking for.

I suggest you still do this as there are some cons to not having a maf sensor.

The thing people are trying to tell you that you're not listening to is you're going to cost yourself more money and headaches by insisting on keeping the crappy k&n filter. You can save yourself money and problems by getting rid of the filter and getting a stock maf.

You already said you don't want to tune it until you get other mods, so either get your mods now, and have it SD tuned, or get a better filter and different maf and enjoy, or fork over the 200 bucks or whatever for a tune now, and another 200 for another tune later on...or finally...do none of the above and deal with the fact your car does not run to it's potential.

Quick Reply: MAF Delete