Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cut out = ticket????

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cut out = ticket????

Has anyone gotten in trouble for having a cut out open on the street????
I just got mine put on today and it sounds awesome

Let me tell you, an exhaust cut out will sure scare the hell out of those rice burners, as some srt-4 found out today..
Old 04-17-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend got pulled over once because of his. Cops said it was to loud but they just gave him a written warning saying he had an illegal muffler and needed to replace it. They havent bothered him since though. Guess it all depends on local decibal laws and stuff.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

get you an electric plate for that baby, that way when they pull you over as your slowing down to stop you can close it real fast.. you can say hey man thas wasnt mine it must have been that nova that just drove by..LOL
Old 04-17-2004, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

No ticket here yet, just a few dirty looks from the law. Don't underestimate those SRT-4's from a roll, they're nasty from a highway roll.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Launching!

I have had an electric cutout for a year now, and since I'm 6-7 seconds from legal to loud, I haven't had any problems. There have been several times where I had just opened it and see a cop, then reach down and close it until he's gone. I have to admit, that is the single best mechanical thing I have bought for the car so far.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There really is no law saying how loud your car can be. Cops don't carry around dB meters so they can't measure it. It's all up to their opinion. If they think it's too loud, they will give you a fix-it ticket. I had mine for about 4 months with no trouble from the law. Now I have duals and it's just as loud, but still no trouble. Just keep your eyes peeled.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Launching!

For those of you that have electric cutouts, how reliable have they been for you? I wanted a set of those when I upgrade my exhaust, but I've heard mostly negative reviews on their reliability.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

my exhaust setup is listed in my sig and i always leave my cutout open and i've never been harassed or anything, but i don't think its all that loud....
Old 04-17-2004, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by csxfbird
For those of you that have electric cutouts, how reliable have they been for you? I wanted a set of those when I upgrade my exhaust, but I've heard mostly negative reviews on their reliability.
Had mine for a year now, no problems at all. If you get the QTP cutout, remember the motor has a lot of torque to it and once in awhile as you close it, it will close and kind of "bounce" back open slightly because of the torque. So I got into the habit of closing it for 6-7 seconds and then bump it 1 or 2 times and it seals perfectly. After you get use to the sound, you can tell when it's completely closed or not.

I'm so happy with the QTP I will order their duals when I get new headers.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

get a QTEC (www.quicktimeperformance.com) electric valve...thats what i have...when i see cops i close it...
Old 04-18-2004, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
There really is no law saying how loud your car can be. Cops don't carry around dB meters so they can't measure it. It's all up to their opinion. If they think it's too loud, they will give you a fix-it ticket. I had mine for about 4 months with no trouble from the law. Now I have duals and it's just as loud, but still no trouble. Just keep your eyes peeled.
Your first sentence isn't exactly true. Many communities have noise limits. Often, you will see them posted where there are drivethroughs close to houses and people come in with their kickerboxes jamming at 3 am on the way from the bar and wake people up.
That being said - you typically are not going to get a ticket 'just' for having a loud exhaust. Now, it is definitely going to get attention, so anything else you are doing may be magnified.
Dan
Old 04-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
Your first sentence isn't exactly true. Many communities have noise limits. Often, you will see them posted where there are drivethroughs close to houses and people come in with their kickerboxes jamming at 3 am on the way from the bar and wake people up.
That being said - you typically are not going to get a ticket 'just' for having a loud exhaust. Now, it is definitely going to get attention, so anything else you are doing may be magnified.
Dan
That's true. When I visited my home state of VA last summer, I was told they now have a noise ordinance from 10 pm to 6 am. So things have changed for sure. That makes me even more happier I have my electric cutout.

"Legal to Loud in 6 seconds"
Old 04-18-2004, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

I've been running my cutout open ever since I've had it (about 2 months) No hassles here. I don't even get hassled on base, where MP's are usually pretty ****. I still have stock exhaust manifolds and cats, though-- so it's not insanely loud. Just a nice rumble
Old 04-18-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

I run my cutout open in town sometimes and the police has not gave me any trouble.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Quick Question. Know anything about cutouts being legal for states with manditory inspections?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slip
Quick Question. Know anything about cutouts being legal for states with manditory inspections?
I am with him, are they legal
Old 05-24-2004, 12:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW im a very firm believer now that if you dont drive like an idiot and get out of the gas while you see a cop and the cop is not a complete dick you will not get a ticket...ive had my cam in which made a huge sound difference especially at idle or cruising w/ borla but no plate so damn close to a cutout and havent been pulled over *knock on wood* in over a month of driving around and let me tell you its loud and can set of car alarms at idle. Just dont drive like a tard and you should be fine.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
It might be dependent on the state, but there is noise law in California, where a CHP can cite you for being too loud, which falls under the same laws of having your stereo too loud. The exception is, you can take your car to a referee station and they can determine if your car IS too loud. People have been pulled over in Cali with LM's and loose the referee station.

just FYI
Old 05-24-2004, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
FWIW im a very firm believer now that if you dont drive like an idiot and get out of the gas while you see a cop and the cop is not a complete dick you will not get a ticket...Just dont drive like a tard and you should be fine.
Very true...I don't drive my car too often but it's almost always uncapped when I do and I just back off when I see 'the man'.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Florida state noise laws:

I have a neighbor which recently received a fine for violation of 403.415. Of course, he admitted his exhaust was louder than stock