Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker LT's and Flowtech LT's, read>>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hooker LT's and Flowtech LT's, read>>>>>

I wuz lookin at thunder's site just now and we all know that Hooker and Flowtech are made by the same company, well I didnt know they were that similar, check out the pics of the Flowtech's, and scroll down and look at the pics of the Hooker's, its hilarious how identical they are http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=52
I'd take the Flowtech ceramic coated over the Hooker's, what about u guys?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know, it kind of upsets me that I paid $600 for my Hooker LTs and now they're being rebranded and sold for over $200 less. Geez!

Josh
Old 04-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Since they are basically the same would a hooker Y work with flowtechs?
Old 04-20-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

I dunno guys, Ive heard that the quality of the Flowtechs are not that good. You would probably be able to tell a lot better if you had the two side by side and you could inspect them in person.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

I have yet to hear of problems installing the hookers, I have heard 3 horror stories of flowtech installs in the last week. That is what you paid $200 extra dollars for.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

could be like blemish tires and the ones that arnt perfect get stamped flowtech
ones that are 100% get the hooker tag see it alot in the automotive business
Old 04-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Restricted User

my flowtechs are fine and im 99% sure im the first one to install them. and the coating is sorry but the headers themselves are fine on my car.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Assassin
check out the pics of the Flowtech's, and scroll down and look at the pics of the Hooker's, its hilarious how identical they are
While they are very similar (maybe even identical) I think the reason those pictures show it is because I believe both pics are of the Hookers, the Flowtech pics weren't out yet at the time most sponsors starting taking orders on them.
In other words, while they may in fact be the same, don't go solely by those pics because they may actually be promo pics of the same exact headers.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
could be like blemish tires and the ones that arnt perfect get stamped flowtech
ones that are 100% get the hooker tag see it alot in the automotive business
I seriously don't think so.

1. My Hookers had 1/4 inch gapped where they weren't welded which would have caused as massive exhaust leak.

2. My Hookers had most of the primaries full of slag had to have them ground out.

3. The flange wasn't level and had to be filed.

4. O2 bung was welded so it covered up half of the hole the O2 went into.

5. After 18 months my Jet Hot coated Hookers are covered in rust and my car is seldom out in any sort of weather.

Other than poor quailty the Hookers are great. I would take my chance on FlowTech because I seriously doubt you'll get anything worse than my Hookers.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Hooker and Flowtech are the same headers, the flowtech have lower quality welds and 3-bolt flanges, so no the hooker y-pipe will not work. Also the Flowtechs are made with a cheaper quality metal. I have seen both of them side by side, flowtechs have to be built on the same jig as the hookers cause all the tubes are bent in the same way. Hope this clears up your questions.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anybody have ceramic coated flowtech's they want to let us know how good they are?
Old 04-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

My ceramic coated Flowtech's look and perform great. Some guys have posted 29 rwhp gains even with a custom catted y-pipe...not bad at all. My install went extremely smooth and took about 4 hours, including plugs and wires, !AIR, and !EGR. Any horror stories that you guys have heard are probably from first time installers. Not to disrespect anyone, but we all know installing performing parts requires patience and some ingenuity. I've seen both the Hooker and Flowtech longtubes in person and IMO the Flowtechs have the same quality as the Hookers. I few (not-so-perfect) welds aren't enough for me to bash a product. Flowtechs are absolutely worth the money. Just think...you could always pay $1200 dollars for FLP, QTP, etc. or take the extra money and get a cam, nitrous, or whatever intrigues you.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

My buddy has Flowtechs and to be honest they were the crappiest looking headers I have ever seen, the welds were terrible, the tubes stuck out past the flange almost an qtr of a inch, it was crazy. His install went easy, not that many problems. Except they leak, luckily one of the sponsers here is going to take them back and send him a new set as soon as they come in from being on backorder. When he gets them off the car we will take pics and show you how jacked up these headers are.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

i got the non coated flowtech's..i was told that the ceramic coating will not last long anyway, and is a waste of money..so i am going to buy a couple cans of vht 1500 degree header paint and see how that turns out..can't be any worse than the ceramic coating will last..

has anyone tried the vht coating yet? if so how is it on keeping the rust off?