Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR check valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR check valve

Hi all, I've done a search but to no avail.

My SES light came on the other day, the code was a P1416 AIR system bank 2. A failing check valve is the suspected cause. I want to eventually get the AIR system tuned out but in the meantime, rather than replace the check valve, would it be possible to remove both check valves and bolt in block-off plates to the manifolds, but leave the rest of the AIR system in place so that it will still draw in and blow out air?

My hope is that the PCM will think the AIR system is still functioning and not throw a code.

Any input will be most appreciated.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have someone with HP tuners or another tool, it may be worth taking out the AIR system if its not a legal requirement in your state.
The weight of the AIP pump was amazing, like a weight of a small child. Tucked up in the drivers side wing/fender? blocked off the input to the manifolds and disabled the codes.

The AIR pump does have its own fuse, so if you done what you mentioned you can stop the pump from sucking and blowing by removing the fuse, not sure if it will throw a code still though.

Ah just noticed you are in the UK. Where abouts are you?, I may be able to disable the code for you. Think my HP tuners can only do the year 2000 though.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some people have gotten better by inserting some
restrictor plates in the AIR "octopus".
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
If you have someone with HP tuners or another tool, it may be worth taking out the AIR system if its not a legal requirement in your state.
The weight of the AIP pump was amazing, like a weight of a small child. Tucked up in the drivers side wing/fender? blocked off the input to the manifolds and disabled the codes.

The AIR pump does have its own fuse, so if you done what you mentioned you can stop the pump from sucking and blowing by removing the fuse, not sure if it will throw a code still though.

Ah just noticed you are in the UK. Where abouts are you?, I may be able to disable the code for you. Think my HP tuners can only do the year 2000 though.
Cheers, PM sent.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Some people have gotten better by inserting some
restrictor plates in the AIR "octopus".
I don't quite understand what you mean , could you give me some more detail please?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The AIR plumbing bolts to the manifolds ('00-'02; don't
know about '98/'99). There are gaskets there. If you
copied that shape in light steel, and drilled the center
hole at lesser size, you would reduce the exhaust
pulsation at the check-valve and perhaps get it to
do its job "well enough".
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
The AIR plumbing bolts to the manifolds ('00-'02; don't
know about '98/'99). There are gaskets there. If you
copied that shape in light steel, and drilled the center
hole at lesser size, you would reduce the exhaust
pulsation at the check-valve and perhaps get it to
do its job "well enough".
Could be worth a try, but I will attempt disconnecting the hose from the check valves, leaving it able to blow air, and see if a code is thrown.

It's my guess that the system won't know that the air it's blowing won't reach the check valves (they don't have a sensor attached) so the SES won't light up.

I could be wrong, but I'll know for certain when I try it.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The PCM may test for correct AIR functioning by looking at the O2 sensor outputs, so just blocking the valves wouldn't work.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by patSS/00
The PCM may test for correct AIR functioning by looking at the O2 sensor outputs, so just blocking the valves wouldn't work.
You could be right but the AIR pump only runs for a couple of minutes, which isn't very long for the cats to come up to temperature. I think the relatively cooler air drawn in from the air box by the AIR system should, if anything, interfere with the cats warming up.

I'm baffled why it would work. After all, the V6 F-Bodies haven't got an AIR system to help bring their cats up to temperature

I'll post what happens after I've tried it.

Quick Reply: AIR check valve