Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 rough start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls1 rough start

Ive been having issues with my ls1 camaro starting lately. I had my buddy from a Chevrolet dealership look at it and use their fancy scan tools to check it out. At first my camaro would attempt to start once, but if it failed to start it would refuse to start for at least 24 hours. We ended up finding a chaffed wire to the temp sensor that goes into the head and replaced that.

Now when i attempt to start it i MUST give it some gas or it just refuses to start.

in the process my buddy checked and all were good.....
-Fuel pump, fuel regular and fuel pressure
-Starter and ignition
-Relays, there were no hidden check engine codes that only the dealership can see
- no missfires or anything like that.

Are there any sensors that would cause this rough start?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

The attempt to start, then shutdown makes me think security system is a possibility. Anything with the security light? I'd try making a VATS bypass just to see, it only cost me $10 to make mine. Worst case scenario you rule it out.

Clean the MAF maybe? another cheap and easy idea. Everything you can rule out is one step closer
Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

The security light never comes on except for when i turn the key to the on position. It disappears shortly after and does not come on again.

I have not messed with my MAF at all. perhaps a cleaning would be a shot worth taking.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

would a partially clogged fuel filter be a culprit? Since i need to give it some gas for it to start?
Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried turning the key into the ON position a few times to see if starts better? THat should help pressurize the fuel line/rails and help you eliminate the fuel part of the equation.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hows it run once it starts?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going with partial clog in the fuel system somewhere
Old 03-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
I'm going with partial clog in the fuel system somewhere
Well i just replaced the fuel filter (the old one was quite dirty and has been on there for wayyy too long) I will see if anything changes when i drive it to work tomorrow.

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
hows it run once it starts?
It runs like pure ****. During the first 5-10 seconds it runs as if it has a big cam in it (stock cam), then it builds the idle to around 1,000 rpms, then jumps to around 1300 rpms. Sometimes a little higher. If i drive it within a minute of idle its running very rich (i guess from all the pedal pumping required to get it to start). After all the unburned fuel is out of the exhaust it drives pretty smooth.

Originally Posted by egod
Have you tried turning the key into the ON position a few times to see if starts better? THat should help pressurize the fuel line/rails and help you eliminate the fuel part of the equation.
I have tried this, it seems to be getting fuel but not enough to start. I know the system is not leaking because i had it pressure tested @ 60psi and it was holding pressure just fine.

-I just replaced a bad clutch pedal position sensor as well.

Does anyone know what would make my car idle so high? perhaps i need to have it retuned. Recently i swapped out an ebay 92mm throttle body for a Nick Williams 92mm Throttle Body and it hasent idled quite right since the swap. But i had a few other issues from the idle that have been solved since then so im not sure.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

bump11
Old 03-26-2013, 02:04 AM
TECH Regular

did you replace the tb gasket? is it tight and straight with the gasket lined up right?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94 White T/A
did you replace the tb gasket? is it tight and straight with the gasket lined up right?
Yes i have a brand new TB gasket installed. The old one was leaking, new one is nice & snug no vacuume leak.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

I actually think it is my security system giving my trouble. Im going to make a bypass to see if thats the issue
Old 03-31-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I apoligize if this msg is duplicated, thought I responded but can't find it. Anyway I had a friend with very similar problems recently and it turned out to be bad gasoline she just filled up with, but obviously you'd rule that out if you didn't fill up before problems, and hopefully someone didn't pour something in your gas tank or something stupid like that. They drained her tank, refilled and problem solved.

Regarding fuel pump troubleshooting, I was going thru a similar episode a couple years ago and it turned out to be a oily MAF from the oiled K&N filter I was running. Anyway I installed a $18 gas pressure gauge on the stock fuel rail, pressure was there, but I left it in and is a good tool for troubleshooting.

If it was the VATS, I'm pretty sure the key would never turn over if your ignition is stock, unless you bypassed module and went straight from ignition to starter. My security light came on a few times, but stayed on while driving, then just stranded me at my daughter's gym! Good that you are bypassing the VATS tho, a worn key pellet could be a life or death situation. Good luck hope it's resolved.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RJDio
I apoligize if this msg is duplicated, thought I responded but can't find it. Anyway I had a friend with very similar problems recently and it turned out to be bad gasoline she just filled up with, but obviously you'd rule that out if you didn't fill up before problems, and hopefully someone didn't pour something in your gas tank or something stupid like that. They drained her tank, refilled and problem solved.

Regarding fuel pump troubleshooting, I was going thru a similar episode a couple years ago and it turned out to be a oily MAF from the oiled K&N filter I was running. Anyway I installed a $18 gas pressure gauge on the stock fuel rail, pressure was there, but I left it in and is a good tool for troubleshooting.

If it was the VATS, I'm pretty sure the key would never turn over if your ignition is stock, unless you bypassed module and went straight from ignition to starter. My security light came on a few times, but stayed on while driving, then just stranded me at my daughter's gym! Good that you are bypassing the VATS tho, a worn key pellet could be a life or death situation. Good luck hope it's resolved.
I actually have not pulled off the MAF and checked it to make sure it was clean and or clean it. Also my idle RPMS are very high (1500 on average but once it warms up around 1200). I know gas is not the issue as i have been forced to drive the car since my daily is having a few issues as well.

Last edited by Tzone21; 04-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

I bought a MAF cleaner spray from Autozone and cleaned it up good along with the connectors. It wasn't too dirty but could use a cleaning regardless. I cleaned the screen as well and put it back on the car after drying. I drove the car around a bit seeing if there was any difference and i did not notice any. The idle was still just as high as before.

Would cleaning the MAF require some time or would it show instant results?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as the start issue, make sure the ign relay is good. My 98 Z28 had a starting issue and it turned out being that.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99monguse
As far as the start issue, make sure the ign relay is good. My 98 Z28 had a starting issue and it turned out being that.
yep, been there...sometimes it would start and run, then die suddenly when driving/would not restart. Replace IGN relay and fixed it for awhile, but as it turned out in my case, the fuse block itself had a loose contact for the IGN relay.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The cleaning of the MAF should be quick result if that is the problem. Do you have the stock 78mm or the SLP 85mm MAF?. Does it change when you disconnect the MAF while running? I didn't see any codes reported on the thread, did your buddy test the codes, if not you can go to autozone and they can see what is happening if a sensor or something.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RJDio
The cleaning of the MAF should be quick result if that is the problem. Do you have the stock 78mm or the SLP 85mm MAF?. Does it change when you disconnect the MAF while running? I didn't see any codes reported on the thread, did your buddy test the codes, if not you can go to autozone and they can see what is happening if a sensor or something.
Im running the stock 78mm MAF. I disconnected it while running and there was no change what so ever. Yes i dont have any codes, even the "hidden" codes that only the dealer can see.

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
yep, been there...sometimes it would start and run, then die suddenly when driving/would not restart. Replace IGN relay and fixed it for awhile, but as it turned out in my case, the fuse block itself had a loose contact for the IGN relay.
I actually replaced the IGN relay a lil while ago and that did not do anything. My alternator just went bad so i swapped it with a brand new one (lifetime warranty) and its running much smoother surprisingly.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Could there be an issue with my tune? Ive had this tune by frost for a year n a half and havent had any issues with it.

Quick Reply: ls1 rough start