Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement muffler for Corsa system

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacement muffler for Corsa system

To make a long story short last week my Corsa decided to let a baffle go and its rattling around making the entire car sound like crap now. I called Corsa this morning to enquire about buying a replacement muffler. They promptly in more or less words told me sucks to be me because a) im not the original owner so they wont warranty parts, and b)they wont sell the individual piece... Shows they really stand behind there product if ya ask me... told he they'd sell me a whole new system... yea that makes sence.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. My question is without breaking the bank is there any other mufflers that will work with the corsa pipes? id really like to avoid spending a ton of money on a whole new system from any manufacturer. Dont need anything extremely loud but a little deeper would be nice.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think anything with a 3 inch inlet would be close enough for a shop to fab in, but most mufflers are 2.5 out and the corsa is 3.

I'm really hoping i dont lose a baffle because of their lack of replacement. I know we aren't the original owners, but it's their manufacturing that fails, so why can't we even buy just a muffler? We have all the other stuff already
Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

yea the guy I talked to simply told me that was there policy, then he said but we still sell the system so your welcome to buy a new one. I told him to say that again and listen to how stupid it sounds... Why by all new stuff when the pipes are fine. Really disappointed in what i thought was a stand up company
Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While Corsa's sound absolutely great on a c5, the systems are $1,100-$1,450 depending on what size tips you get. That's freaking crazy! $1,450 for 2 mufflers and some piping?! I would LOVE a Corsa Extreme setup on my c5 but for $1,450 you can forget it, that money is much better spent elsewhere.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded #17536, 409 SS, 3" inlet/dual 3" outlets. This is a crossflow style muffler and has a 20" case length. They run about $113 ea..
This is a pretty good muffler, but it's quiet.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-07-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

find you a slp dual/dual muffler and have it welded in there......Not sure if the inlet and outlets match, but the sound is sex
Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's stupid that Corsa doesn't sell individual pieces. I mean wtf, everyone else does?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Yea its a pretty arrogant business model if you ask me for them not to sell the individual pieces... says to the customer you dnt know what were doing, we have to do it for you.

Ill check out the dynomax, thanks guys!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Figured I'd give this thread a bump, looking for some info. A buddy gave me a Corsa catback with a damaged muffler. I've come to the conclusion there's not many options for mufflers with 3" outlets.

My question is this... The Corsa muffler measures 17"x11"x6" (overall is 22") so the Dynomax case is longer so I assume some modifying had to be done. Did you just cut 1" off of each inlet/outlets? Just seeing if it'll require a trip to the muffler shop or not.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:46 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you talk to John? That's who I dealt with when I had an issue with my C5's Corsa and he was EXCELLENT to deal with.

John Oravec is who you need to speak to.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Did you talk to John? That's who I dealt with when I had an issue with my C5's Corsa and he was EXCELLENT to deal with.

John Oravec is who you need to speak to.
The previous owner talked to Corsa about a replacement, I just took his word on it. They lost a customer for life by not offering a replacement for him to purchase. Honestly even they did offer a replacement, I likely wouldn't purchase it. Would hate to imagine what they'd charge for it.

I ended up taking a gamble and ordered the Dynomax that was suggested in this thread along with a couple compression clamps. I think I'll be content with it and won't have to modify this exhaust much to bolt it up myself. Anything will be better than basically no muffler and just 2.5" pipe from the y-pipe on back with some cheap parts store exhaust tips that sag about 6", lol.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:04 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Not trying to "carry this on" so to speak, but did you think about maybe cutting the muffler in half on its horizontal axis and welding back in the piece that failed? I love the Corsa sound...
Old 02-08-2016, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not trying to "carry this on" so to speak, but did you think about maybe cutting the muffler in half on its horizontal axis and welding back in the piece that failed? I love the Corsa sound...
I'm sorry, I should have added a picture to this damaged muffler. I actually didn't take a close look to the damage, but it's fairly bad. It possibly could be cut open and fixed, but not sure.

I don't necessarily dislike the Corsa sound, I just haven't heard it in a very long time. Actually heard this particular muffler back in the day. I just want it fairly quiet after having basically no muffler/cats for a month.

I may cut this damaged one open just fornkicks just to see how much damage there is.
Attached Thumbnails Replacement muffler for Corsa system-img_20160208_170930.jpg  
Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the Dynomax muffler isn't a direct replacement. The inlet/out on the Corsa muffler is 2-7/8" and I need a true 3", lol. Going to grab an exhaust pipe expansion tool from Harbor Freight. Anyone have any luck with using one, specifically with stainless?
Old 02-13-2016, 02:17 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Stainless WILL split. It doesn't like to be expanded AT ALL
Old 02-15-2016, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stainless WILL split. It doesn't like to be expanded AT ALL
I'm really glad I didn't press my luck. I did get one and attempted, but it only barely got bigger. The tool was also making the pipe slightly oblonged due to the relief cuts on the end from Corsa.

At the end of the day, even though I REALLY didn't want to, took it to Meinkie and let them put it on. They were able to make the expansions bigger and still keep everything slip fit.

It's so much better sounding than the 12" Magnaflow bullet muffler home made catback. Sorry for the crooked video, apparently I can't setup the camera horizontally very well, lol.

Quick Reply: Replacement muffler for Corsa system