Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Jethot longtubes, some ?'s.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just installed Jethot longtubes, some ?'s.

Apparently my ls1 edit doesn't have the rear cat monitors deleted being that the service engine soon light is on now. Can I have those deleted by ls1 edit or do I need sims? The thing runs so rich my eyes burn after a 5 mile drive to the store and back. Hoping he can lean it out and take care of no o2's in my y pipe. Thanks for any help. Oh yea, stupid frickin sotp power gain from these headers and hooker y through an open Borla. Rather racecar loud I'd say.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have those deleted with LS1 edit! Jeff will fix it in a heartbeat!

Chris
Old 04-28-2004, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

when i put jet hots are my car it ran real rich as well, get it tuned and it'll be great. I picked up another 10rwhp just from tuning!
Old 04-28-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Dang Mooobunny, you get around too!!! Thanks, I'll get up with Jeff asap. I smell like gas when I walk in the house. I figured I was about 10hp down being SOOO rich. I also have a 224/228 581 112 cam that I'm sure makes it worse.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

even after tuning i still smell like gas when i go in the house, no cats reeks
Old 04-28-2004, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redlinez
Dang Mooobunny, you get around too!!!
I gotta have something to do to keep me from studying for finals and writing these papers
Old 04-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Launching!

I just got my Jet Hots and ORY installed on Monday, and man im telling ya, you can definitely tell there aren't any cats in there from the smell. I kinda like the smell though to an extent. I think i may be running rich also.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

I think I'll go to the track tonight and see how it does even though it fricking bangs under the car. I'll put it up in the air at work today and see if I can reposition something to make it better. Looks like I'm saving for poly engine mounts.
Good luck on your exams.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldnt waste money on sims unless the SES light really bothers you. Just get it deleted via tuning. Also, give it a few weeks and make sure it throws all the codes its going to throw before you get them deleted. Some take a while to take effect. Also, you get used to the gas smell really quickly. After a month I barely notice mine, but at first it made my eyes blurry when I would stop at red lights. Like you guys said though, I think it smells good! Glad we run 93 and not 87...that stuff smells awful.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Mine ran a little rich also, had it dyno'ed last weekend and the AF looks good. It just doesn't seem worth tuning right now when I plan on doing a cam swap and tune next spring.

I love the headers from Jet hot but the y pipe sucks, I am switching to a true dual system very soon.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

"I think it smells good! Glad we run 93 and not 87...that stuff smells awful"
Wish we had 93 in Calif. best you can do is 91 at a regular station
Old 04-29-2004, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by APeteSS
Wish we had 93 in Calif. best you can do is 91 at a regular station
Actually, we learned in Thermo this year that 87 burns better than 93... The extra octane just raises the flash point of the gasoline. With high compression engines (and boosted and N2O) this is a good thing because at the 87 octane level the fuel will pre-ignite, or burn before the plug sparks (causing engine knock)

In any car with compression levels lower than 10.5:1 you'll make more power with 87 because it's not as hard to start burning, creating a faster flame-front and all that mess.

kinda cool, cause I'm n/a and it saves me money every week
Old 04-29-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CamTom12
Actually, we learned in Thermo this year that 87 burns better than 93... The extra octane just raises the flash point of the gasoline. With high compression engines (and boosted and N2O) this is a good thing because at the 87 octane level the fuel will pre-ignite, or burn before the plug sparks (causing engine knock)

In any car with compression levels lower than 10.5:1 you'll make more power with 87 because it's not as hard to start burning, creating a faster flame-front and all that mess.

kinda cool, cause I'm n/a and it saves me money every week
You do realize engine knock is a bad thing?
Go put your car on a scanner and tell you me dont get any knock.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
You do realize engine knock is a bad thing?
Go put your car on a scanner and tell you me dont get any knock.
yeah, engine knock is a real bad thing... my momma blew a VW motor once (it was high comp. and she was running too low octane fuel. blew a hole in the 3# piston)

I probably do, but I'd bet more from the PCV oil than low octane fuel.

If I'm heading to the track, I definitly put 93 in... I'm talking about daily driving under relatively normal conditions
Old 04-29-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Just got back from CAM (Jeff Creech)- he deleted the rear 02's and found my driver side one not switching. Probably burned during y pipe modifications to fit those Jethots. I'd like to see some proof of that 87 octane stuff. Anyone?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

87 octane will make more power in the same engine, but will detonate more in most cases involving high performance engines, even the LS1. You could easily get the car tuned to run on 87, but I would recommend pulling a bit of timing out of it and then you would not make as much power. It is not worth it IMO to just start using 87 octane with no tuning for it. Why risk it..... 93 Octane is ALOT safer!

Chris

edit - the total timing combined with compression has everything to do with what octance can be ran in a certain engine when talking about the newer computer controlled engines, and fact is the LS1 was tuned from the factory to run on 93 octane which means that with anything less than that you are risking hurting the motor due to detonation. Unless you have it tuned specifically for 87 octane with LS1edit...etc. I would not recommend running 87 octane.

Last edited by Mooobunnny; 04-29-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mooobunnny
fact is the LS1 was tuned from the factory to run on 93 octane
Ah, I didn't know that... ok, 93 from now on, then.

Does the HPP3 give dual fuel timing curves for the LS1? I was reading on the site that it did 'depending on the application'

I'm only asking cause 87 is like $2 per gallon here. I'm afraid to look at 93 prices

...and I'm the dick that hijacked this thread... sorry, Redlinez
Old 04-30-2004, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redlinez
Just got back from CAM (Jeff Creech)- he deleted the rear 02's and found my driver side one not switching. Probably burned during y pipe modifications to fit those Jethots. I'd like to see some proof of that 87 octane stuff. Anyone?
Now that you dont need those rear o2 sensors you can use one of them to replace your front one thats bad
Old 04-30-2004, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Did that last night. Waiting on the SES light to go off or I may disconnect the battery and see if that clears it. He had already deleted the rear 02's in the original programming. He just leaned it out for me last night and let me know the driver side 02 wasn't switching.
Ain't nobody hijacking my thread, believe me, it doesn't even bother me in the least. No worries here, gotta run 93 or you don't make the power with a custom tune.