Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run the traditional green antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone run the traditional green antifreeze?

I hate Dex-Cool. It's always forms that granular sludge on my fill stick. I want to flush all of the cooling system and pour in the green stuff.

The only downside to the green stuff that I know of is it doesn't have the extended drain intervals in comparison to Dex-Cool.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dex Cool is more compatable with the aluminum block and heads. You only get the sludge in the overflow tank because the Dex Cool in there is exposed to air. I would stay with the Dex Cool and just clean out the overflow tank more often.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll try that, Glen. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that's why it looks like gel.. thanks. I flushed it out a couple of months ago to get rid of this and now it looks like that again
oh, and the green stuff has silicates which could potentially cause premature water pump bearing failure...so they (GM) says.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

2xls1 is right, i see this time and time again at work, if it sludges up in the radiator it means you have an air leak somewhere in the system and you better take care of it quick so it all doesnt gel up. but it is designed to run with the aluminum parts better
Old 05-02-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

also, if you mix colors of antifreeze it will gel up
Old 05-02-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you mix you will get bigger problems then just the gel, they break each other down, car overheats
Old 05-02-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, thanks for the info!
Old 05-02-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

well , mine only has the gel consistency in the reservoir tank; so I guess that I'm OK for now.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

open the cap on the radiator, if its fine in there dont worry, the overflow has the vent in the top which lets in air which lets that happen, dont even worry about it
Old 05-02-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

i switched mine the first day i had the car, 2years later still no problems... GM does have tablets to add to it for the "right" way to do it...but i didnt use em
Old 05-02-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Dex Cool is more compatable with the aluminum block and heads. You only get the sludge in the overflow tank because the Dex Cool in there is exposed to air. I would stay with the Dex Cool and just clean out the overflow tank more often.
Agreed!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I changed mine over to the regular coolant the first winter I had it {2000 with 40K now}. I really don't get how the old green stuff is supposed to not work with aluminium. Yea,,, yea,,, I know. It's not that the green stuff is bad,,, it's just that the orange stuff is better.

While I admit that I do not know nor am I privy to all the tests and studies that GM has seen on DexCool,,, I do know that folks have been useing the regular old green coolant for pretty much ever. For a good part of "ever",, someone was useing it in a engine with aluminium heads or heads and block. I've never seen a block or a set of heads that corroded from the inside out from useing green coolant. I do how ever know that there have been examples that did corrode.

I do know that I didn't like all the orange gunk on the coolant level stick {with less than 10K miles at the time}, once I changed to green coolant,,,, no more gunk.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I use the green stuff with only distilled water. Never use the hose or tap water when mixing.

My coolant always comes out as clean as new.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh, and the green stuff has silicates which could potentially cause premature water pump bearing failure...so they (GM) says.[/QUOTE]

True, and it also ruins all the hoses from the inside out. I used the green for years and was always changing water pumps and hoses. Now these new cars with the orange I don't even think about hoses and pumps. But I do change it more than they say to.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Launching!

I too have a stroker (422 Darton Sleeved) and the Darton folks highly recommend using Evans coolant in these sleeved motors. (They make a special racing version especially for the Darton sleeves, which has thinner viscosity) I went with a bigger aluminum radiator, (Be-Cool) and the Evans racing coolant, along with the Evans LS1 Water pump & their newly designed thermostat. This may sound like over-kill, but for the amount of $$$ invested in the super stroker, I figured it was worth a few extra bucks to help circulate the coolant through the little holes in the sleeves, keeping them cooler.

Evans also helps prevent detonation, and it runs at almost zero pressure (less stress on hoses and all of the cooling system) as well as not boiling until something like 375*F. If that wasn't enough to sell me, the fact that it cannot possibly corrode the aluminum in our LS1 engines, and especially not corrode the dissimilar metal in the cylinders with the iron sleeves or whatever alloy they make them out of. Darton is SOLD on the benefits of the Evans, and at one time was going to require all of their sleeved blocks run it. Now, for the time being I think they just strongly recommend it. You can do a google search and find their Web site to read more about the benefits of it, but if you want to talk to the guy in charge of R&D on the LS1 sleeved blocks and their special WP & Stats, PM me and I can provide you with a phone number and name. This stuff sounds too good to be true, but I have been using it in my full sized Blazer for 2 1/2 years now, with no problems and much better cooling in the HOT southwestern summer heat, and also have a Be-Cool radiator in the Blazer. Sounds like it might be super expensive? Well, it costs a little more than your nasty, gooey Dex-cool @ 19 bucks per gallon if you buy 3 or more gallons, but considering how much money we have tied up in our motors, that's chump change.

This is something that you should already be familiar with, being that you have a 427 stroker, somebody should have told you about it. The best time to install it is when your motor is new and dry, because to Evans coolant, water is considered a contaminent, and to use it in your car, you need to get rid of all other fluid, including water & other types of anti-freeze. It need to run pure 100% with no other fluids. (draining the block, rad, heater core, hoses) That was why I put it in while my motor was still dry and so was my new rad, just had to blow out the heat core, and I went to all new hoses, (Lingenfelter silicone ones) LOL More over-kill. . . but hey, I wanted the very best for this multi-multi-thousand dollar engine. Let me know if you would like to speak with Steve in R&D @ Evans.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

ChevyGoldfinger, Darton recommends the Evans b/c your block is now a wet sleeve setup. This coolant is needed to prevent cavitation, etc. Mine is a dry re-sleeved block. However, I will run Evans in the future.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

ChevyGoldfinger, did you order the coolant and pump directly from Evans?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
ChevyGoldfinger, Darton recommends the Evans b/c your block is now a wet sleeve setup. This coolant is needed to prevent cavitation, etc. Mine is a dry re-sleeved block. However, I will run Evans in the future.
My mistake Levi, I was under the impression you had the wet sleeved stroker as well. At any rate, you certainly will not be disappointed after you get all of the other crap out of your cooling system and put in pure Evans coolant.
One other thing about it, you never have to worry about "flushing" and all of that malarky again. This stuff has been known to go over a half million miles in 18 wheeler over the road trucks and when drained, looks like the day is was put in.

As long as there is no failure of a hose or WP, to lose the coolant some how, then it is basically good for the life of engine. Good luck with your 427!!

John
Old 05-03-2004, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
ChevyGoldfinger, did you order the coolant and pump directly from Evans?
11 Bravo, yes I did. Dave is the main guy in sales, and the number to call Dave (or the secretary) is: 1-888-990-2665 and Dave can answer most questions that you may have.

John