Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Not workin??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cruise Control Not workin??

Just finished doin the drill and bump stop mod, now my cruise control doesnt work. Visually inspected for any loose prongs or sensors all looks ok. Any ideas where or what I should look for?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Just finished doin the drill and bump stop mod, now my cruise control doesnt work. Visually inspected for any loose prongs or sensors all looks ok. Any ideas where or what I should look for?
I have also been through this once with my SS and I helped another fellow member out with the same problem. Remove the knee bolster under the steering column and the black plastic trim connecting it to the firewall. Once those peices are removed get down there and look at the clutch pedal assembly. It was much easier for me to relince the driver seat all the way down and lay down on the seat with my head resting on the floor under the steering wheel. Now take a look at the clutch pedal lever assembly that travels from the actual pedal up under the dash. There are two switches on the clutch pedal. The switch on the front side(engine side) is designed to let the computer(PCM)know the clutch has been fully depressed and to allow the car to start. The switch on the back side(seat side) lets the PCM know the clutch is engaged(basically telling the PCM the car is in motion and will allow for such things as the cruise control to work). If you are using your cruise control on the highway and you push in the clutch(disengaging the clutch) the cruise control turns off. The switch is only activated when the clutch pedal is in the full upright position or not touched. This switch is adjustable and has a mount that has threads so it can be adjustable. Often times the switch's position gets changed(threads back off) and the pedal doesn't come into contact with the switch or come into full contact with the switch. Make sure when the clutch is in the upright position that the switch is completely depressed. I bet this is your problem.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what im talkin bout, Thanks for the advice. 14u2nv I'll try it tomorrow, my back is soar from being twisted for bout 3 hrs yesterday. I was thinking the same thing but I had no idea where to look. This is why I love this board. I'll let ya know if that solved the problem.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice, worked and your rite it has to be completly depressed. Otherwise it doesnt work, I tried halfway but nothing until i adjusted all the way it went, then it worked. Turning was a little difficult due to the wire harness on the switch, I didnt want to undo it first to much trouble so I just carefully managed.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear it! That makes two others that my fix has helped within 2 weeks! SWEET!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

As soon as I read this, "Just finished doin the drill and bump stop mod, now my cruise control doesnt work" I knew it had to be the switch. I chased this very same problem down for days. I got my SS back from Rapid Motorsports after having the ARe H/C, Moser 12 BOLT and RAM clutch done and had the car for about 3 days then the cruise stop working. I posted several times without getting any replies so I kept looking around. I ended up replacing the other switch(the other in front of the clutch lever)and that didn't help at all. I didn't even see the "cruise" switch at first. I was just about to give up and take my SS back to SATAN (the dealer) and I figured I give it another try. Like I said I just got the car back from Rapid Motorsports, having just spent almost $14,000.00 I was PISSED to say the very least. I email Mikey and I got no response, that added to my ANGER. If he wasn't 7 hours-13 minutes-17 seconds and 402.83 miles away I was about to take the car right back...that was how pissed I was. Finally Mikey called me back an asked me about the other switch; that was it! So I will always remember that damn switch.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the awesome tip, someone needs to edit the drill mod instructions and add this to the list of tips. Including a waring on how PITA the U bolt is to get back on. And that having a helper is imperative on this mod.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My cruise control doesn't work either & I trouble shot quite a bit of the circuit & couldn't find anything wrong. I'll definately check this switch out that you've mentioned, hopefully it's my problem as well, Fred
Old 05-04-2004, 09:38 AM
STF Veteran

Congrat on your fix. Keep in mind fellas that if one of the bulbs in the high mount stop light goes out, that can effect the brake circuit which is monitored by the cruise control computer. It causes the circuit values to change and often times the cruise will not engage.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:23 AM
9 Second Club

This is a common problem with that switch. It is more common after doing clutch work but it can get out of adjustment with age and use. I fix this problem on the C6500 series trucks all the time.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fred99LS1
My cruise control doesn't work either & I trouble shot quite a bit of the circuit & couldn't find anything wrong. I'll definately check this switch out that you've mentioned, hopefully it's my problem as well, Fred
Did the fix work for you?

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Not workin??