Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90mm LSX & TPIS T/B & H/S roller rockers install

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 90mm LSX & TPIS T/B & H/S roller rockers install

First I want to thank Al & Ted for their help, as for the install of the rockers it went pretty smooth just have to take your time to get the bolts started since they are connected in two's. The intake install went smooth too and I put the foam on the bottom of mine with no clearance issue's. The T/B went pretty smooth too but it's a little hard to get nuts on the back side of the 4 bottom bolts of the T/B started just because it's hard to get your fingers in there. The TPIS is a quality piece it fit perfect as did the intake and all the bad stories you here about bad idles and vac leaks after start up had me a little worried but the SS fired right up and didn't skip a beat it ran perfect with a normal idle and throttle response was great. All in all I'm very pleased and would recommend this set up to any H/C LS1.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

As usual it was great working with you and Ted, and as usual at the end of the day we had the car running perfect. After reading several bad threads about this set-up I wasn't sure how things would go, the end results where nothing short of great. This set-up might not be good for every car but if you have a H/C car it's worth a look anyways. For you guys thinking about this install I have one suggestion and that is to take your time, we've never tried to set a record on any installs and that's one reasons we've never had a install problem.

Al
Old 05-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Talking

enjoyed another great day! The best part, hearing the SS fire up, and start purring like a LION! Can't wait to haul it down to Detroit and see what kind of #'s you get this year!

Ted
Old 05-08-2004, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any SOTP difference?
Old 05-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Teching In

so how does it feel?
Old 05-08-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2ScoopsTa
so how does it feel?

I'll let ya know how it feels when I take it out the weather been bad and I have a couple of things to button up on it yet. After I started it up and it got up to operating temp I hit the thottle hard several times and the thottle response was great it reved up alot quicker.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a few pics of Joe's install.

Old 05-09-2004, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Al,
Old 05-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

That looks very clean, congrats!The rockers would add to valvetrain lightness, but the induction should feed the B better. Do you believe you will have to get it retuned?
Old 05-09-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good
Old 05-09-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carvinta
That looks very clean, congrats!The rockers would add to valvetrain lightness, but the induction should feed the B better. Do you believe you will have to get it retuned?

I'm not sure yet if I have to retune it since I haven't run a autotap on it yet, but I/m going to anyway just because there's a lot more air coming in. Greg fron Detroit Speed did the last tune and did a great job so I'll take back to him but now his at Livernois Motorsports and he uses a Mustang dyno so it'll be a goood tune.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smokin' joe 00 ss
I'm not sure yet if I have to retune it since I haven't run a autotap on it yet, but I/m going to anyway just because there's a lot more air coming in. Greg from Detroit Speed did the last tune and did a great job so I'll take back to him but now his at Livernois Motorsports and he uses a Mustang dyno so it'll be a goood tune.
I don't know of an exact method to calculate to dynojet; not for bragging purposes but just for a relative comparison. However the difference in numbers, I didn't know there was a tuning difference?? Regardless your numbers before the mods were very good on the mustang dyno. How much hp would you guess it might have before tuning?
Old 05-09-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know of an exact method to calculate to dynojet; not for bragging purposes but just for a relative comparison. However the difference in numbers, I didn't know there was a tuning difference?? Regardless your numbers before the mods were very good on the mustang dyno. How much hp would you guess it might have before tuning?

Well Jay at Absolute Speed said when he tested the 90mm intake to a set of his stage 2 heads it flowed so well that he said you would see a 25-30 rwhp increase on a stage 2 H/C car. So I'm thinkin' or hoping with the roller rockers too I should be in the 410 rwhp range and maybe 420rwhp with a tune but who knows maybe more or less but i'll find out for sure in the next week or two when ever they can fit me in. Also Jay could be off a little on his figure's too.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smokin' joe 00 ss
Well Jay at Absolute Speed said when he tested the 90mm intake to a set of his stage 2 heads it flowed so well that he said you would see a 25-30 rwhp increase on a stage 2 H/C car. So I'm thinkin' or hoping with the roller rockers too I should be in the 410 rwhp range and maybe 420rwhp with a tune but who knows maybe more or less but i'll find out for sure in the next week or two when ever they can fit me in. Also Jay could be off a little on his figure's too.
Absolute has been very cool in testing different intakes and flows, he tries a lot of combos that are ls1 favorites, so when he says that is flows proportionally better, I believe him! But where does your dyno graph run out of steam? If the B peaks at 6200, I would estimate his estimate is pretty good. If it's advanced more than stock, and peaks a little lower you might not get as high peak values, but I bet the area under the curve is much fatter. I would love to get a copy of that graph.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Absolute has been very cool in testing different intakes and flows, he tries a lot of combos that are ls1 favorites, so when he says that is flows proportionally better, I believe him! But where does your dyno graph run out of steam? If the B peaks at 6200, I would estimate his estimate is pretty good. If it's advanced more than stock, and peaks a little lower you might not get as high peak values, but I bet the area under the curve is much fatter. I would love to get a copy of that graph.

I'll find my old graph and when I get the new graph I'll post them up for you.