Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any gains going from Kooks 1 3/4 LT's to TSP 1 7/8 LT's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any gains going from Kooks 1 3/4 LT's to TSP 1 7/8 LT's?

So as of right now I have Kooks 1 3/4 primaries LT's, Kooks 3in ORY, open cutout, and a magnaflow catback.

So in the interest of going for a "max effort" setup, do you think there would be any gains going to the TSP 1 7/8's or would they be pretty similar. The reason I ask is because I've read that the merge is more important than the size of the primaries and that the Kooks merge is superior to that of other headers.

I don't care about the "horsepower per dollar" argument. I simply want to know if I would gain anything, or if I'd be better off keeping the Kooks.

Either way I'm going to be switching to TSP true duals.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jim1450
Why don't you ask TSP whose headers they copied when they had theirs made in China?
haha does that mean the tsp headers are the same as the kooks?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I could be wrong but I thought TSPs were the same as eBay headers. I'd say your always better with the larger primary's. They are not the same as kooks. Kooks are made in USA and have better fitment.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't replace kooks with tsp. Save and buy kooks 1 7/8
Old 02-04-2014, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I could be wrong but I thought TSPs were the same as eBay headers. I'd say your always better with the larger primary's. They are not the same as kooks. Kooks are made in USA and have better fitment.
I've always heard good things about TSP. It's hard for me to justify another $300 for the kooks headers if they will flow the same.

Originally Posted by 14k
I wouldn't replace kooks with tsp. Save and buy kooks 1 7/8
I've never seen them side by side, but I can't see how they could be that bad. Is it the material, or are we just talking fitment issues?

Do you think the kooks would actually produce more power? Even if it's a negligible amount, this is the last time I want to buy headers.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

I would stick with the kooks. I helped a buddy install TSP headers and they were alright, but fitment wasn't the best.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I remember Maryland speed doing a comparison between ebay headers and Kooks awhile back. They are a huge supplier of Kooks and I don't think they liked the results. I'm just a Kooks fan and prefer to buy American made parts when I can. When I swapped my old 1 3/4" kooks for 1 7/8" Kooks after I sold the old set I was only out $200. Your also about guaranteed a clean install with no clearance issues.

Also, call Maryland speed for the best price, they can only advertise so low online.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i have kooks and asked my builder about going to 1 7/8ths and was told not to bother.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not sure how good the merge is on the Kook's setup, but if it's not so great why not have a good merge put in. Just a thought
Old 02-04-2014, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just stick with the kooks 1 3/4. I've run both Kooks and TSP. Both are great. I think it really comes down to personally preference. I'm running TSP 1 7/8 right now and the fit, looks, and performance are great compared to the cost of me going with Kooks again. You might slightly gain more or less, depending on your current set by going with the 1 7/8, but either way the difference will be negligible. Check out this comparison on stock motor that Texas Speed did on their 1 7/8:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...o-results.html
Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I have Kooks... because of the True Dual setup. But I toyed with the TSP headers and Y-Pipe and something like a Magnaflow.

But the American Racing Headers are the best ones due to American made, fitment, and HVMC - so most power. And if you are running a Y-Pipe, they custom build the Y-Pipe to your specs... I'd recommend a 3" into 4" HVMC that either stays 4" or reduces back down to 3" in the intermediate pipe. Hard to beat that... unless you have true duals that go out the back and sound like pure sex.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

There aren't too many ways to route the 1 7/8 header tubes in an f-body, so just because the headers have different names, and one costs more, won't make it flow better.

The headers are almost identical when compared side by side

TSP makes stainless headers, with good welds, and I've never heard anyone having issues with them.

Some people just like to pay for the name, so they can say "HEY, look at me, I paid over $1K for these headers because they says Kooks on em, when I could have paid less than half for TSP, and got the same quality."

Just paying for a name.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sepsis
There aren't too many ways to route the 1 7/8 header tubes in an f-body, so just because the headers have different names, and one costs more, won't make it flow better.

The headers are almost identical when compared side by side

TSP makes stainless headers, with good welds, and I've never heard anyone having issues with them.

Some people just like to pay for the name, so they can say "HEY, look at me, I paid over $1K for these headers because they says Kooks on em, when I could have paid less than half for TSP, and got the same quality."

Just paying for a name.
Pretty much what I thought. I've had these Kooks on my car for a while now, and I've never felt that they were superior to the 1 3/4 Hookers that my best friend runs.

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I have Kooks... because of the True Dual setup. But I toyed with the TSP headers and Y-Pipe and something like a Magnaflow.

But the American Racing Headers are the best ones due to American made, fitment, and HVMC - so most power. And if you are running a Y-Pipe, they custom build the Y-Pipe to your specs... I'd recommend a 3" into 4" HVMC that either stays 4" or reduces back down to 3" in the intermediate pipe. Hard to beat that... unless you have true duals that go out the back and sound like pure sex.
I'm prob just gonna get the tsp true duals. That's my main reason for changing my exhaust, is that I want a change. It wouldn't be worth it for me to get another y pipe.

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I'm not sure how good the merge is on the Kook's setup, but if it's not so great why not have a good merge put in. Just a thought
I'm confused.. I don't know if the merge is good or not. I was referring to where the primaries meet in the collectors. Not the y pipe.

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i have kooks and asked my builder about going to 1 7/8ths and was told not to bother.
Why? I get it if you're doing a budget build, but the larger primaries have been proven to make more power with no losses anywhere.

I am not concerned with the horsepower per dollar of this mod. I'm going for a max effort setup.

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I remember Maryland speed doing a comparison between ebay headers and Kooks awhile back. They are a huge supplier of Kooks and I don't think they liked the results. I'm just a Kooks fan and prefer to buy American made parts when I can. When I swapped my old 1 3/4" kooks for 1 7/8" Kooks after I sold the old set I was only out $200. Your also about guaranteed a clean install with no clearance issues.

Also, call Maryland speed for the best price, they can only advertise so low online.
Honestly if I was going to get another set of kooks I'd probably just get the 2in primaries. My reasoning for looking at the tsp headers was that I figured the install would probably go smoother since I'll be using TSP true duals.

But I appreciate the advice about Maryland speed! I never knew that, and I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by why87
I would stick with the kooks. I helped a buddy install TSP headers and they were alright, but fitment wasn't the best.
I really don't understand the fitment argument. They've been installed before, and once they're in, they're in.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still Confused about the headers don't know if I should go with arh or tsp now if I go with one of these which ones 1/34 or 1/78 my car is 1999 camaro ss a4 with bolt-ons Slp lm Slp lid. Slp ram air. Black wing air filter tb bypass potz pp tb ls6 intake 160 stat power programmer what kind of gains will I see with headers and dyno tune thanks
Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 ss
I'm still Confused about the headers don't know if I should go with arh or tsp now if I go with one of these which ones 1/34 or 1/78 my car is 1999 camaro ss a4 with bolt-ons Slp lm Slp lid. Slp ram air. Black wing air filter tb bypass potz pp tb ls6 intake 160 stat power programmer what kind of gains will I see with headers and dyno tune thanks

I won't comment on what brand you should go with. Get whatever your budget will allow.

And I can't think of any reason not to get 1 7/8 primaries unless you want to make less power.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So 1 7/8 is the way to go even though I'm not going with heads and cam
Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP, you are basically wanting a few more ponies from your exhaust here correct? If so, what I was saying is that if Kooks y-pipe merge was crappy or inefficient, that you might consider having a good merge in it's place...in turn creating better exhaust flow and making a few more hp....instead of doing the whole upgraded header thing. Just a thought...
Old 02-04-2014, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Why not go with Hooker Super Comp 1 7/8?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
OP, you are basically wanting a few more ponies from your exhaust here correct? If so, what I was saying is that if Kooks y-pipe merge was crappy or inefficient, that you might consider having a good merge in it's place...in turn creating better exhaust flow and making a few more hp....instead of doing the whole upgraded header thing. Just a thought...
I get what you're saying. But what I'm saying is that regardless of how well your exhaust flows after the headers, if you have smaller primaries, you'll make less power. Am I right?

And I don't know for sure that the merge on the Kooks y pipe is bad. It has just always been my understanding that true duals would always outflow a y pipe setup.

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Why not go with Hooker Super Comp 1 7/8?
I hadn't given them much thought. Pretty much the same price as the TSP's.

Originally Posted by 99 ss
So 1 7/8 is the way to go even though I'm not going with heads and cam
That's my understanding. That the larger the primary, the more power. There was a dyno test done comparing 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 to 2in primaries, and the larger the primary, the higher the numbers.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes in theory you are correct. I was just offering up a much up a much cheaper possible idea here. But yes it could free up a couple of hp on your application, and as long as you don't mind all the work involved for that couple hp, then I say go for it

Quick Reply: Any gains going from Kooks 1 3/4 LT's to TSP 1 7/8 LT's?