Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mightymouse Solutions 'Black' PCV catch can install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mightymouse Solutions 'Black' PCV catch can install

I was talking to David at MightyMouse Solutions one day and he convinced me to sell my Norris Motorsports catch can and then install one of his new "Black" Series Catch Cans. My Norris catch can sold in a day or two, so it was a done deal. I ordered the PCV can with the barbed fittings since I am running rubber hose. There are options for AN fittings as well. It came with good instructions on how to hook it up. I opted to keep the same line routing that I had before, and just had to run a longer hose since the fittings were in a different position.

I have the following connections to the engine:
-Passenger valve cover rear to can inlet
-Can outlet to side of LS6 intake
-TB to driver valve cover

I also opted for the 'LS head mount' he offers since I still have A/C, stock coolant overflow tank, and the battery in the stock location. There didn't seem to be a good place to mount the can with a basically stock engine setup. The can is of nice quality and David was very helpful through the process.

Anyways here are some pictures....

I'd recommend one of these to anyone in the market for a catch can. David offers a lot of options, so check his site or send him an email.

Last edited by White.Lightning; 02-19-2015 at 05:42 AM. Reason: new pictures
Old 02-22-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice dude!! I got mine a few weeks ago!

The black can matches everything under my hood, I'm going for the stealth non flash look!

For us turbo guys its easy to hook up now, my driver side valve cover to can Inlet, pcv outlet from can to intake, then ls6 valley cover to turbo filter inlet, Cap the passenger side valve cover 3/8 barbs! Done!
Attached Thumbnails Mightymouse Solutions 'Black' PCV catch can install-image-3170134777.jpg   Mightymouse Solutions 'Black' PCV catch can install-image-152241038.jpg   Mightymouse Solutions 'Black' PCV catch can install-image-1642533854.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Burken01
The black can matches everything under my hood, I'm going for the stealth non flash look!
That's what I was going for too.

I drove the car a good bit over the past few days. Everything seems to be doing well. I'll check it again in a few weeks to see how much (if any) oil is in there.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got one too. I've been doing a lot of work to the car lately, so the can installation will have to wait its turn.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:42 AM
TECH Addict

Bump it up. New pictures added.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, feel free to flame away, but can you guys explain to me the benefit of running a catch can? I see mostly FI guys running them, but I assume there is a benefit to running one on a NA motor too?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

I should know by now but I dont . How would this hook up on a FMIC Procharged setup with the ls6 valley cover on an fbody car?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Okay, feel free to flame away, but can you guys explain to me the benefit of running a catch can? I see mostly FI guys running them, but I assume there is a benefit to running one on a NA motor too?
In general, catch cans are used to catch oil/water/fuel that would otherwise be ingested by the engine during OEM PCV cycle. For FI or other higher performance applications, catch cans become more important since the crankcase airflow increases with increased in HP, and with it more oil/water/fuel.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I should know by now but I dont . How would this hook up on a FMIC Procharged setup with the ls6 valley cover on an fbody car?
Depending on what can you get, it can be very simple. It appears the race can just takes two dirty inlets from a valve cover/valley cover. The draft/pcv can takes one dirty inlet, and a clean outlet to the air filter of the procharger.

His website has a detailed instruction sheet you should check out. I just have a N/A PCV setup.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

It can help a great deal with an N/A motor by trapping crankcase vapors that made up of piston ring blow by and oil windage, the stuff you don't want in your intake system because it can rob power by contaminating your intake charge, cause detonation and forms deposits on the back of your valves and the top of your pistons.

Someone please explain THAT catch can with the breather on top, doesn't this create an unmetered air leak?
Old 02-19-2015, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 64post
Someone please explain THAT catch can with the breather on top, doesn't this create an unmetered air leak?
The breather is a giant one way valve for crank pressure to leave only, and seal otherwise for normal closed loop operation
Old 02-19-2015, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was about to ask the same thing about the open element. So during operation is it closed? And is their a PCV still inline in case of a backfire? Looks nice BTW. I would have used pushloc fittings instead of hose clamps.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tillery
Was about to ask the same thing about the open element. So during operation is it closed? And is their a PCV still inline in case of a backfire? Looks nice BTW. I would have used pushloc fittings instead of hose clamps.
Yes, the PCV valve is shown in this picture....threaded into the silver extension housing

Last edited by White.Lightning; 02-19-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Yes, the PCV valve is shown in this picture....threaded into the silver extension housing

Did that PCV valve come with the MM can setup? Is it marked for direction?
The breather vents to the atmosphere only when there's enough pressure built up to open a valve inside?
Old 02-19-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did that PCV valve come with the MM can setup? yes Is it marked for direction? comes with directions explaining how to hook the can up
The breather vents to the atmosphere only when there's enough pressure built up to open a valve inside? I believe so, yes
Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I am just going to run 2 lines to vented catch can whoooo.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
I am just going to run 2 lines to vented catch can whoooo.
You already have yours? Which one do you have, or are going with?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP, what made you pick this MM catch can over the other two MM options? I'm on his website now, but kind of confused as to which of the three options would be best.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

You already have yours? Which one do you have, or are going with?
Since I have the billet valve covers they have -10 an fittings in them and run to a aerospace componets billet catch can, mine is more race oriented. See street duty the mighty mouse can is the way to go and the black can looks great!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Seems there are two versions he has; the one the OP got, and then the middle choice. The first one is a race oriented catch can. Not sure the difference between the two.

Quick Reply: Mightymouse Solutions 'Black' PCV catch can install