Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you proceed with engine installation?
Yes
20.00%
No
80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

[PICS] Oil Pan Crooked Relative to K Member. Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arrow [PICS] Oil Pan Crooked Relative to K Member. Problem?

I just installed my engine. I got under the car and noticed that the oil pan is crooked relative to the k member. Is this a problem or would you proceed with the installation of the engine? Thanks

Also, is there a torque value for the fasteners that connect the engine mount pedestals to the kmember? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails [PICS] Oil Pan Crooked Relative to K Member. Problem?-img_20140223_181900_zpsn9silrbf.jpg   [PICS] Oil Pan Crooked Relative to K Member. Problem?-img_20140223_182310_zpsj4kzta2j.jpg  
Old 02-23-2014, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not proceed. Something is wrong. The pedestals that hold the engine are different from one another. Are you pedestals and motor mounts still stock?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slowbird780
I would not proceed. Something is wrong. The pedestals that hold the engine are different from one another. Are you pedestals and motor mounts still stock?
the pedestals are stock. the motor mounts are poly but are in the factory clamshell, so essentially, all is factory.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jdoyle
the pedestals are stock. the motor mounts are poly but are in the factory clamshell, so essentially, all is factory.
Only thing I can think of is something is flipped around whether its the pedestals or the clam shells. The metal ears on the polys that stick out should be on the top when the clam shells are installed on the engine. The problem is those ears catch the pedestals so then u can adjust from there to get the bolts through. When u look at the pedestals there will be a notch out on the top side. So whether you got the bolts through or not using the various methods on here those ears being on the bottom side and not sitting in the notch out could be screwing u
Old 02-23-2014, 11:45 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

NO, I would NOT proceed.

AND I'd recommend a tubular K-frame.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slowbird780
Only thing I can think of is something is flipped around whether its the pedestals or the clam shells. The metal ears on the polys that stick out should be on the top when the clam shells are installed on the engine. The problem is those ears catch the pedestals so then u can adjust from there to get the bolts through. When u look at the pedestals there will be a notch out on the top side. So whether you got the bolts through or not using the various methods on here those ears being on the bottom side and not sitting in the notch out could be screwing u
I can tell you the pedestals are not flipped around. I will get back with you on the clam shells. As a matter of fact, I was suprised at how easy I got both bolts in. I lowered the engine into place, then inserted driver side bolt. It went in very easy. I used the scissor jack method to get the passenger side in. I fooled with the engine hoist and the scissor jack for only about a minute or so until I got it where I wanted it and then the passenger side bolt went in very easily too.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

The engine looks like its an inch or more over towards the passenger side. Something is seriously not right here. Every pic I have found the oil pan is centered on the k member.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Pedastals don't interchange, I'd look to the poly mounts, someone could have installed the inserts wrong.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Pedastals don't interchange, I'd look to the poly mounts, someone could have installed the inserts wrong.
when you say inserts, you are talking about the polyurethane, right? I want to make sure I am not missing something. i only have the poly piece, the clamshell and the hardware to secure the clamshell.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

What have you recently changed on the car? I mean obviously the engine didn't come like that from Chevrolet, so what all has been done to it? Trying to track down the source of the mis-alignment.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:52 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

....obviously the engine didn't come like that from Chevrolet....
HAHA, with all the defect and assembly problems I had with brand new GM vehicles over the years I wouldn't be surprised if it was crooked from birth.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

What have you recently changed on the car? I mean obviously the engine didn't come like that from Chevrolet, so what all has been done to it? Trying to track down the source of the mis-alignment.
the car is kind of going through an overhaul at the moment now that it is not my daily. engine is out, trans is out and will go back in, diff is out and will go back in (rebuild), gas tank is coming out and will go back in (racetronix kit).

I dont believe it is the block unless I got two tweaked blocks as my last engine sat like this as well. Now correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the misalignment could only be because the:

-frame is tweaked
-k member is tweaked (i think this is the problem as this car had sportlines on it and that kmember is pretty beat up)
-pedestals are tweaked
-poly motor mounts are tweaked

obviously, the frame is the same. the kmember is the same but i have another that i will be installing this weekend to see if anything changes. i swapped the pedestals out with other units that i have and will put the "new" pedestals on the "new" kmember when i reinstall it, obviously. i will open up the poly motor mounts to make sure everything is as it should be.

does anyone have any pictures of exactly what the passenger & Driver side motor mounts should look like so i can determine if mine are correct or not? thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hate to be Captain Obvious but the trans plays a big role in the direction the engine points. (tail mount being centered in the tunnel) I would get it back in before jumping to conclusions.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hate to be Captain Obvious but the trans plays a big role in the direction the engine points. (tail mount being centered in the tunnel) I would get it back in before jumping to conclusions.
could you go into more detail as to what exactly you are saying please? I think we are on the same page but I want to make sure. are you recommending that i hook up the bellhousing and transmission and reassess my situation at that time? and just to be extra clear, the engine is not sitting level in the kmember. it is higher on the passenger side. i have no idea if the crank snout is pointing more towards the driver or passenger side, how one would determine that?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, the engine may not sit square until the trans, trans mount, trans cross member, are all installed and tightened down. The trans being straight in the tunnel, and attached, ensures the motor is square in the frame rails.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the engine may not sit square until the trans, trans mount, trans cross member, are all installed and tightened down. The trans being straight in the tunnel, and attached, ensures the motor is square in the frame rails.
ok. will do and will report back once complete. hopefully this weekend.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a chance to redo the factory clam shells. the temp dropped before I had a chance to do anything with the kmember.

i did find that one of the ears on one of the poly motor mounts was bent so i straightened that back out.

are the poly motor mounts side specific?

are the clam shells side specific?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

No they are identical but there is an up/down orientation but I dont think they can bolt on upside down.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

No they are identical but there is an up/down orientation but I dont think they can bolt on upside down.
correct. they cannot bolt on upside down
Old 05-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my motor/ k-member in my car today and I'm having this EXACT same problem. I have prothane poly inserts in stock clamshells and LTs on an LQ4/t56 in a 97 f-body. The whole motor is rolled towards the drivers side almost exactly the same way the OPs is. Mine was a little different tho bc the it was an absolute PITA to get my motor mount bolts lined up when dropping the motor in the k-member. And you can bolt the motor mounts on the motor both ways bc I tried it both ways to see if it would help when bolting the motor to the k-member...was off just the same both ways. Never been so frustrated in my life as I was trying to get that motor bolted in lol. I have the wrong trans mount in it right now so the trans is crammed up in the tunnel too far. Hopefully when I get the trans lowered down where its supposed to be it might fix the alignment problem...

Quick Reply: [PICS] Oil Pan Crooked Relative to K Member. Problem?