Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear intake MAP/brake boost port removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear intake MAP/brake boost port removal

Hello All,

I think my rear intake port where the MAP, brake booster, and HVAC system plugs into O-ring is bad causing a huge vacuum leak. The port can be moved in and pulled out about a 1/8 inch and it also moves clockwise and counter clockwise also 1/4 inch. Is this normal? I don't thinks so but I figured I'd ask. Also ordered a new MAP sensor from the Chevy dealer and it came with a new port housing, O-ring, and sensor. Since I got a new port with O-ring, I would like to change the old one out but can't figure out how to remove it. I don't want the break the intake manifold. My car is a 2002 Trans am with the LS6 intake. I included a photo of my intake below. Thanks J

P.S Also new to the forum!
Attached Thumbnails Rear intake MAP/brake boost port removal-20140313_152146.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SGTTransam
Hello All,

I think my rear intake port where the MAP, brake booster, and HVAC system plugs into O-ring is bad causing a huge vacuum leak. The port can be moved in and pulled out about a 1/8 inch and it also moves clockwise and counter clockwise also 1/4 inch. Is this normal? I don't thinks so but I figured I'd ask. Also ordered a new MAP sensor from the Chevy dealer and it came with a new port housing, O-ring, and sensor. Since I got a new port with O-ring, I would like to change the old one out but can't figure out how to remove it. I don't want the break the intake manifold. My car is a 2002 Trans am with the LS6 intake. I included a photo of my intake below. Thanks J

P.S Also new to the forum!
What do you mean you got a new port? Do you mean the part that the MAP sets into and is held into the intake? I didn't think they made those separately.

To remove it you have to do it from the inside. Long tools go in from the throttle body side of the intake and you have to depress the 3 tabs. Its not easy.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 AM

Root2812: Thank you for the info on removal. Yes I the port that the MAP goes into. I bought a new MaP from the dealer and it came with a new MAP, housing/port, and o-ring. I will try to remove it today.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:10 AM

In the diagram attached I ordered 567,568, and 569 came as a kit I guess. Is there a special tool to remove it or just very long flat head screw drivers will work?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
attachment.pdf (587.0 KB, 587 views)
Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

In the diagram attached I ordered 567,568, and 569 came as a kit I guess. Is there a special tool to remove it or just very long flat head screw drivers will work?
Thats awesome. I have an extra ls6 intake that the port is broken on and I've never heard of anyone selling them separately. I don't need a MAP but a new o-ring and port would cure my problem. What did it run you? I am curious if you can get them separate without the MAP since I don't need one. Hmm. I may pick your brain more later.

Where did that diagram come from?

Last edited by Root2812; 03-15-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:42 AM

All three parts cost me $116.00 that's here in Maryland. Don't know if you can get it separately I needed all three. I'm going back to the dealer today to pickup my high pressure oil sensor and other things so I'll ask for you. For the picture I have a digital parts diagram.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:46 AM

Was your port lose like mine is, or was it a tight fitment? I just don't have anything to compare it to and the guys at the service center at the dealer never worked on one so the couldn't tell me.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Was your port lose like mine is, or was it a tight fitment? I just don't have anything to compare it to and the guys at the service center at the dealer never worked on one so the couldn't tell me.
Well my broken one arrived broken in shipping so I never saw it in one piece. The replacement one I ordered does have some wiggle in it. Maybe not quite as bad as you describe but it was enough to make me worry about a leak. Sadly my engine still hasn't run. I'm building it for a swap.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the item you are referring to DOES NOT come out.....not without damaging something.....never heard of it being available separately....if it is damaged as describe you need another intake mani

ask me how I know....
Old 03-15-2014, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

First question, who goes to the dealer nowadays for a car thats so old. Second question why dont you just buy another intake manifold? Sounds like the dealer got you...
Old 03-15-2014, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
the item you are referring to DOES NOT come out.....not without damaging something.....never heard of it being available separately....if it is damaged as describe you need another intake mani

ask me how I know....
It does come out. Ask me how I know.

See the tabs. Like I told the OP they are very hard to get to and you have to use a long flat tool from the throttle body side. Its very very hard but it can come out. I also never heard of it being available separately but if the OP has it in hand I'd assume maybe GM decided to start selling them. He did say he had to buy the MAP and sometimes the port tab breaks when the MAP is removed so it would be logical for GM to start selling it.

SGTTransAm do you have the part in your hand or just on order?

Originally Posted by MadFirehawk86
First question, who goes to the dealer nowadays for a car thats so old. Second question why dont you just buy another intake manifold? Sounds like the dealer got you...
Don't be a *****. He can buy parts from who ever he want to. Sometimes its easyer to just go to the dealer. Second if you can get the part for $100 new why spend $400 on a used intake?
Old 03-15-2014, 02:24 PM

Yes, I have the parts in hand. Working on getting the port out now.

Madfirehawk86: I like to get OEM parts from my small town dealer. I like knowing that I'm contributing to my local community, its worth the extra 5-10 bucks you will save from buying it online. Also spend 100$ on three parts or 450$+ for a intake manifold, that I will still need the same 100$ parts for just doesn't make since to me. Maybe I need to be your parts dealer and get you that what it sounds like to me.......... Just saying

Hey Root2812 thanks for all the help man.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:26 PM

Root2812: Can you show me the kind of "tool" you used?
Old 03-15-2014, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

I used a really long flat screw driver. A few feet long and it was a pain in the *** and you have to be really careful. If you have a new port maybe you should carefully cut the old one off where it sticks out from the intake. Then you can get to the tabs with your finger. That will be way easier. Throw up some pictures of what you got from the dealer along with the part numbers. If you got that part and have a part number you may help a lot of guys out on here. The break booster nipples break off a lot. That one in the pic I showed has that nipple broken off, hence why I am so interested.

When you went back to the dealer did you ask if they can get it without the MAP?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

I replaced mine when I got a LS6 mani......but destroyed the intake to get it out......and destroyed the one on the mani to get it out to replace it
Old 02-04-2023, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Yes, I have the parts in hand. Working on getting the port out now. Madfirehawk86: I like to get OEM parts from my small town dealer. I like knowing that I'm contributing to my local community, its worth the extra 5-10 bucks you will save from buying it online. Also spend 100$ on three parts or 450$+ for a intake manifold, that I will still need the same 100$ parts for just doesn't make since to me. Maybe I need to be your parts dealer and get you that what it sounds like to me.......... Just saying Hey Root2812 thanks for all the help man.
Hi SGTTransam,

I know this thread is dated but any chancs you had a part number for the map sensor kit you bought?

Old 02-04-2023, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by black00firehawk
Hi SGTTransam,

I know this thread is dated but any chance you had a part number for the map sensor kit you bought?
He hasn't been here since his last post.

Quick Reply: Rear intake MAP/brake boost port removal