Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi Ram port alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hi Ram port alignment

Everyone else seems to have such rave reviews about the Hi Ram, so I ordered one. Got it in, and test fit to the motor, and the port alignment looks pretty sketchy. I went back to a truck manifold, and the port alignment was dead on, so my question to you all is, are these ports acceptable?

Last edited by cmac06; 04-08-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Wrong images
Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I got the images mixed up. Here are the correct ones. If I align port 1, all odd line up pretty good, but the other side is completely off.

Top view runner 1:

Runner 2:
Old 04-08-2014, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Runner 3:

Runner 4:

Runner 5:

Runner 6:

Runner 7:

Runner 8:
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone input?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, you never mentioned if the bolts are in play or if you are just sliding the manifold around minus bolts. So, where does it line up with the bolts in place?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

It looks like the intake is designed for bigger ports than what you have.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I took all the bolts out to check alignment against the leading edge for port 1. All of the ports line up on the driver's side that way, and the passenger's side is off. In the instructions it says to elongate the bolt holes, so that was the plan. After looking at this though, it didn't seem like it could be fixed. With the studs in , none of the ports align. As far as size. The manifold ports are right at .905" whereas the heads are 1.016" in average. I thought welding up the ports, but the injectors would be misaligned on the right side. If I line up the right side ports, the problem shifts.

Looking at the images, all the odd ports are acceptable, but even ports or shifted forward. This intake seemed to have favorable reviews among the community, so I never thought to consider misalignment problems to this extent.

I spoke with Holley, and they suggested that I go through the vendor for warranty replacement, but it's been a few days without response from the vendor. My concern is centered around whether this a common problem with Holley manifolds because I don't want to keep shipping bases around to no avail. The factory truck manifold had no issues, but I have no other manifolds to compare fit to.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, this forum is about as useful as using sandpaper to cut down trees. I guess noone runs this intake. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cmac06
Wow, this forum is about as useful as using sandpaper to cut down trees. I guess noone runs this intake. Thanks for the help.
I don't think an attitude like that is going to garner any extra interest... Just friendly advice.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I don't think an attitude like that is going to garner any extra interest... Just friendly advice.
I really didn't think it would, but I haven't gotten any anyway so what does it matter. Thanks for your concern.

You usually are very helpful on this board, so point taken. I just wanted to know if this was common or not.

I did get a quicker response to a poorly thought out insult than a real question though.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:22 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm just joshing ya man!

I don't have any experience at all with intakes like that, but yeah... wow that's really off.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'm just joshing ya man!

I don't have any experience at all with intakes like that, but yeah... wow that's really off.
Yeah, I know, the way you all give each other hell on here; I figured that was just baby talk. This is one of those times I wish I would have bought local because mailing this hunk of metal around will get expensive. I'm just a little bit put off after talking to Holley; the tech offered no real help other than you can send it back if you don't like it. I had half a mind to melt it down, and send it back as a blob of um metal to save them the trouble. I've never gotten a part this screwed up, and had such poor customer service. Just can't believe they're moving these things if this is the quality standards they are held to.

I can slide it to align either side that I want to the heads. Which looks like the center shifted during casting. I expected to do some cleanup on it, but this isn't going to work at all. I'm really regretting not staying with the stock manifold because both of the aftermarket ones I've tried have had issues of some sort.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

How about sawing it in half lengthwise, matching up the ports/aligning the bolts, then rewelding the plenum?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by S10xGN
How about sawing it in half lengthwise, matching up the ports/aligning the bolts, then rewelding the plenum?
For all that work, I could get a sheetmetal intake. I do remember reading somewhere about Wilson reusing the runners and attaching a new plenum. I wonder is that an inner circle service or whatever.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

The cathedral port intake has been like that since the 1st batch out. The LS3 is alot better. There have been alot of threads about the port alinement being off when people check it like you have. on here an yellowbullet
Old 04-16-2014, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ghlight=hi+ram
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=hi+ram&page=2
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ghlight=hi+ram
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I guess I just had tunnel vision. I saw the first one on bullet, but appreciate you sharing the others. I guess that I can be thankful that they at least match up well on each bank, so cutting off the runners and replacing the plenum may be the best route to take with this if it is significantly more cost effective as to buying a custom one. I wonder what they check against for quality control on these?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

holley will exchange it
Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by studderin
holley will exchange it
Any good person to talk to? The general tech line wasn't very useful.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmac06
Any good person to talk to? The general tech line wasn't very useful.
I don't get around to the forum like I used to. I bought a cathedral port Hi Ram a few months ago. Returned it for the same reason. Its off everywhere. Spend bucks on ported heads only to put that piece of crap on. Don't think so. Jegs took it back no questions asked.

Quick Reply: Hi Ram port alignment