Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudest Most Aggressive Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loudest Most Aggressive Exhaust?

My 99 Ram Air TA sounds pretty good right now, but I want it to roar. I'm talking, I want people to hear it coming blocks away! What is the loudest most aggressive exhaust that I can buy for at or below $500? Any suggestions? Of course it comes out in two pipes from the engine, then into one, then two again and I am going to see if I can get true duals run all the way back! Thanks!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:07 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the one that comes with using the search button

you aint gonna get true duals out the back for 500, i'll tell you that right now. you can get them dumped for that price or cheaper though.

"...Of course it comes out in two pipes from the engine, then into one, then two again..."

are you talking about collectors off the headers then merging into an x or h pipe and then duals dumped.

get headers (LT's preferably) then decide your course of action; traditional Y pipe or going the dual route. cheapest bet is pacesetter/flowtech headers and custom duals dumped. other choices are the above headers, ORY w/ single or dual cutout and the catback of your choice.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

Open headers. Doesn't get much louder than that
Old 05-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Get a cutout for now, and start saving up for headers and either a custon dual exhaust or a good catback. From what I heard, a cutout will definitely give you the loudness that you're looking for. Then again, I don't get mine installed till tomorrow. Good luck with any direction you go.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SLP Loudmouth is the loudest of the factory configuration cat-backs, and it is less than $500. Some do not like its sound, and very few still like it after headers. Duals out the back are unlikely for $500.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

QTP LT's then get their dual-cutout y-pipe. Sounds fockin badass.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:42 AM

Hepcat, you have a private message.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I just got my QTP longtubes installed, with teh catted Y-pipe ( which was a P.O.S. ) and with my loudmouth, the only thing that I have heard at wide open throttle that's louder is a strait stock car. When the car was getting dyno'ed, there were people at a stop light in front of the place, about 100 yards away, and they were looking, trying to see what was making the racket. You want loud, believe me, it's loud.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am pretty sure I have this one covered, hands down. FLP LT's, "4 ovalized Dr. Gas, equal length X pipe into a 6 outlet boom tube that exits in front of the right rear tire. Exit in 1" tall and "21 long. This is exactly what NASCAR runs.

But under 500.00..........I would give my teeth to have only paid that much.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:01 PM
STF Veteran

Becareful of what of wish for. A loud exhaust can be annoying as hell sometimes. If it isn't a daily driver then you should be fine. Headers, no cat, true duels with Bullets dumping before the axle.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Becareful of what of wish for. A loud exhaust can be annoying as hell sometimes. If it isn't a daily driver then you should be fine. Headers, no cat, true duels with Bullets dumping before the axle.
Very true. After a bit of a drive in my car, my ears will ring for the rest of the day. Not to mention you **** off just about everyone else on the road since they cant hear anyone they are talking to on thier cell phone . Not only that but if you want to hear the stereo you have to have that going full bore.

I cant start my car to early in the morning or to late at night. It shakes the heighbors windows.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Launching!

If you want it loud and cheap try welding bullet muffler right up to the header. It will be loud and cheap just what you want.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Open headers. No contest. Course, headers, no cats, and a cutout is pretty loud too. I drove a couple of my friends to pick up the DD for the night. Had the cutout open. This guys is sitting in the back trying to talk on his cell phone while we drive like two miles down the road to Downtown Athens. He gets out and calls the guy back, of course. The first thing he says on the phone is, "I don'y know what we were doing, but we were kicking ***!"
Old 05-21-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just went LT's, ORY and LM and it was STUPID loud. Didn't even sound good! Got caught up spending another $400 on a Magnaflow - Sounds great now and I can still make people jump at WOT! I ran stock exhaust with a LM for a while and I loved the way it sounded, but if you intend on doing headers at any time, go a different route!

It becomes EXTREMELY annoying in a loud car for ANY length of time. TRUST ME! It's only cool for the first week. Then you neighbors complain, you try to coast past the police... no fun!
Old 05-21-2004, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

...Headers, no cats, true duals with Bullets dumping before the axle.
I agree. I have that setup. It absolutely screams at large throttle openings, sounds 10000X better than loudmouth (I used to have the loudmouth), and really isn't all THAT loud. I'd say it's not hardly any louder than stock with loudmouth until you really get on it and even then it's not that much louder. Now open headers are a different story, I ran them for several weeks waiting for my duals and it was
It got old fast b/c i couldn't hear people in the car when i gave it enough gas to accelerate (even at only, say, 1500 rpm). The absolute best exhaust setup if you like loud, IMO, is true duals off of longtube headers with electric cutouts right after the headers and is my eventual goal

Edit: Oh yeah you wanted to know for $500 or less, sorry. You can either save up for a full setup with just a cutout for now or buy a catback, as mentioned earlier. Find a car with the loudmouth and listen to it in person. If you like it a lot, get that. I personally would recommend getting the cutout or just doing a muffler swap (anything cheap and temporary) while saving up for headers and duals. (I had the loudmouth for 18 months and lloved it, but it does not compare to duals in any way, IMO, not even close.........)
Old 05-22-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

when i bought my car a month ago(98z) the previous owner had put a 98ss dual in single out(no cat) on it........waaaaay to quite....so i just chopped the muffler off ( at the pipe after it went over the axle)......that was sweet cruising around, but above 70 it was retarded.......so i bought a purple hornies glass pack(28 bucks), unclamped the I pipe(is that what it is?) from the y pipe, cut the clamping part off of the pipe and welded it onto the glasspack, clamped on the glasspack, then braced it with a universal hanger coming off of a longer bolt i put through where the rear seatbelt is bolted down......it sounds awsome now, even without headers.....of course, this was all just a quick fiz until i get the headers, but it's cool in the meantime, and cost me 30 bucks...
Old 05-22-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Save up and get true duals that dump at the axle. Good deep sound and its loud too
Old 05-23-2004, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Default Turn it on and off

Take a look at the Street Pro anwser to a "first class" cutout --- dyno proven to yield HP and deliver a great sound that you CAN turn off on the fly !
Old 05-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Go here and decide-

http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/z28/ls1_sounds/
Old 05-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Launching!

just got my Jet Hot Longtubes and true duel H pipe with spinteck mufflers and i love it. Its also my daily driver too. The H Pipe did have the bullets on them but i wasent to pleased with the sound.

Quick Reply: Loudest Most Aggressive Exhaust?