Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler idea input needed PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil cooler idea input needed PLZ

I’m going to be putting an oil cooler and a power steering cooler on my car. I scrap radiators and have about 5 of the in tank tranny coolers. The in tank cooler are 7 row plate coolers about 11 inches long and 2.5 inches wide. So I figured maybe I could us them. But I’m not sure if they would be efficient enough since they were originally meant to be liquid to liquid.
Does anyone have any input on this idea?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Water to water is a heat exchanger. it helps to keep all the fluids at the same temp. They're usually very efficient. For a street car that see's occasional track use, a heat exchanger is a very good idea. Otherwise, the oil temps never seem to get to operating temp - and that's a bad thing. That's why Dodge, Ford, and Chevy have used them on certain models - like police models.

For engine oil, the passages in a stock radiator are much too small and will cause a pressure drop. There are aftermarket radiators built with an engine oil cooler in there, withc -10 fittings and passages. Not cheap though.

For power steering, I don't see why it it wouldn't work on the return/suction line, if you have a remote mounted reservoir. The line/passage between the reservoir and the pump should have very little pressure, and then only under certain conditions. The high pressure line between the pump and the rack can be under very high pressure - like above 1,000 psi.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

If I were to run them in a liquid to liquid set up I would need to run twice as many lines, add a pump, make a tank to put the cooler in and run a heat exchanger to cool the liquid that’s cooling the oil.
I wasn’t going to run them in the liquid to liquid set up. I was going to put them in front of the rad in an air to liquid setup, with a t stat.
I had radiators that I cut the tanks off of so I could scrap the aluminum rad and tranny coolers, but the I thought maybe I could run these Trans heat exchangers in an air to liquid set up and not have to buy any.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

here are pics of the cooler
Oil cooler idea input needed PLZ-dscn1229.jpg
Oil cooler idea input needed PLZ-dscn1230.jpg
this is how i was thinking of running it
Oil cooler idea input needed PLZ-dscn1232.jpg
Old 08-07-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Again, don't see why you couldn't for the PS. But they're much too restrictive for the oil system.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

First off what are your oil temps that make you think you need an engine oil cooler?
If I was to add one, I would pick up the GM OEM one used on trucks.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

cars taken apart so not sure what temp. i plan on taking it to the track when its back together (strip and road course).
Old 08-09-2014, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you're going racing, do it right, get a real engine oil cooler (radiator style). Check out speedway motors for both the engine and PS coolers.
If it's for the street too, you might consider a thermostat or bypass. It can be difficult to get oil hot enough with a cooler and normal driving.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

i was probly gonna buy one n e way, just wanted to get some input. Dose any one know how the GM oil cooler adapter fits with TSP 1 7/8?

Quick Reply: Oil cooler idea input needed PLZ