Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Header Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Header Questions

Hello all,

I recently bought my third F Body. This purchase was a 2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 with SLP tips. I want to install headers for better sound and maybe a slight boost in HP. However, my local mechanic told me headers would give me trouble and wouldn't be worth the investment. I'm looking at Hooker 1 7/8" LT headers right now. Anybody have these headers or recommend others? Any help would be great.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regardless of brand buy 1 7/8s stainless steel headers. Texas Speed 1 7/8s have been around a long time and are known to fit well, Speed Engineering 1 7/8s are better deal but haven't been made for very long so fitment isn't as well known. If you want the best of the best then American Racing Headers or Kooks are the answer but cost big money. It doesn't matter what headers you get you're also going to need a new y pipe to match and you should install poly motor mounts with the headers. As for what your mechanic says some don't like modified cars because sometimes they're harder to work on, you may want to find a new mechanic for this car or better yet just start doing your own work.

Also I must be feeling generous because.. &
Old 08-09-2014, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your local mechanic is wrong. If you had an older car with a SBC he might be right.

Loosening header bolts, blown gaskets, poor ground clearance, burnt plug wires, and cooked starter solenoids are a thing of the past.

Just make sure you use stock GM MLS manifold gaskets, stock manifold bolts, and MSD wires. Headers make spark plug changes MUCH easier.

As stated before, look at Texas Speed's stainless 1 7/8" headers. The Hookers ceramic coating will flake off and rust after several years if it's driven in wet weather.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Your mechanic sounds lazy. Its not hard to install. I wouldn't hesitate twice about headers on an LS1. They sound much better and you will no doubt gain around 20-30hp.

You might look into a less expensive brand. Hooker are great and I have owned two sets. But there are others that perform just as well for less.

Based on my experience, go stainless and stay away from ceramic coating. Ceramic coating is junk. 1 7/8 or 1 3/4 will work well. Best of luck.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mazzenger
Your mechanic sounds lazy. Its not hard to install. I wouldn't hesitate twice about headers on an LS1. They sound much better and you will no doubt gain around 20-30hp.

You might look into a less expensive brand. Hooker are great and I have owned two sets. But there are others that perform just as well for less.

Based on my experience, go stainless and stay away from ceramic coating. Ceramic coating is junk. 1 7/8 or 1 3/4 will work well. Best of luck.

What would you suggest on a stock motor car just looking to open it up a bit
Old 08-09-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm looking to ditch my BBK setup for some Speed Engineering 1 7/8 headers.

The BBK brand is fine but the flanged collectors greatly limit options for y-pipes and the rest
Old 08-10-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by comatoastWS6
What would you suggest on a stock motor car just looking to open it up a bit
There is no reason not to go with 1 7/8s it's been proven that there is no loss in low end power and if you ever go beyond bolt on's they're worth a good amount of hp.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Anonymous416
Hello all,

I recently bought my third F Body. This purchase was a 2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 with SLP tips. I want to install headers for better sound and maybe a slight boost in HP. However, my local mechanic told me headers would give me trouble and wouldn't be worth the investment. I'm looking at Hooker 1 7/8" LT headers right now. Anybody have these headers or recommend others? Any help would be great.
Mechanic is an idiot and honestly sounds like you dont know the 1st thing about cars
Old 08-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
I'm looking to ditch my BBK setup for some Speed Engineering 1 7/8 headers.

The BBK brand is fine but the flanged collectors greatly limit options for y-pipes and the rest
BBK = Blue light special " k-mart" of car parts. I wouldn't even walk in the store let alone put bbk products on my car lol
Old 08-11-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98MysticGreen
Mechanic is an idiot and honestly sounds like you dont know the 1st thing about cars
Originally Posted by 98MysticGreen
BBK = Blue light special " k-mart" of car parts. I wouldn't even walk in the store let alone put bbk products on my car lol
Do you even have anything useful to say or do you only make ignorant insulting comments.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm running hooker 1 7/8ths. They fit good, no issues.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Have ceramic coated hooker headers and matching your pipe the fitment is terrible the driver's side is to close to the subframe and my you pipe didn't slip over the header and had to have the Y pipe expanded to fit. I don't recommend them but could have a bad set and also the ceramic is starting to look dull and surface rusting I would get stainless if I did it over
Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 PM
Banned

FWIW, I'd go with Texas Speed. Always heard good stuff about their headers. Whichever headers you choose to go with, 1 7/8 is more than adequate enough for what you mentioned.

Last edited by nancygrl; 08-15-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Moving this to the correct forum.

Get the Speed Engineering or TSP 1-7/8" headers.

Tho I personally wouldn't run anything other than Kooks or American Racing on my car.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Moving this to the correct forum.

Get the Speed Engineering or TSP 1-7/8" headers.

Tho I personally wouldn't run anything other than Kooks or American Racing on my car.
x100

I've had jet hots, TSP, and now Kooks.

Kooks is BY FAR the best set of headers I've put on the car. They were the easiest to install, the ONLY pair not to touch the K-member, provide the most clearance, and they come standard with an extra bung for a wideband

Quick Reply: Hooker Header Questions