Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's & ORY Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's & ORY Review

Hello everyone, I thought I should share my install and overall review of the Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers and 3" Off-Road Y-Pipe .

To start with.. the vehicle is a 2000 Camaro SS A4. Before I ordered the Headers & ORY I decided it was time to do some maintenance since the car had 99K miles and had the usual oil leaks & worn components.

The install required deleting EGR Assy, Air Pump Assy, Rear O2's and both Catalytic Converters.

Here's the list of parts I ordered for the installation with prices..

1. Speed Engineering Race 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers with Off-Road Y-Pipe & GM Exhaust Manifold Gaskets ~ $452.97

2. SLP LM1 Exhaust ~ $385.00

3. ACDelco 213-810 Oxygen Sensor x2 ~ $122.00

4. Prothane Engine & Transmission Mount Kit ~ $93.99

5. GM Oil Pan Gasket - $29.83

6. Felpro Valve Cover Gaskets - $23.99

7. LS1 Billet Aluminum EGR Intake Manifold Blockoff Plate ~ $22.91

8. Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold Stud Kit ~ $23.00

9. MSD 8.5mm Wires with NGK TR55 Plugs ~ 75.99

10. Valvoline 10W-30 VR1 Synthetic Oil x6 with Wix Filter ~ $70.00

Here are the pics of the install completed!

Exhaust Review:
Before I start the review on the following brand items I used, I personally want to thank Speed Engineering for designing a more affordable option and quality part. Installing these headers were a breeze. Although the Offroad Y-Pipe, like most others have the same issue with the driver side Y-pipe that connects to the driver header lays up against the floorboard causing a vibration inside the car. This can be fixed by the BFH(BigFuckingHammer) Mod so it has the clearance or do what I did, and apply some heat resistant foam tabs that stick to the floorboard and absorb the vibration. My car is lowered on Strano Front Springs and V6 Camaro Rear springs, so the y-pipe and resonator on the SLP LM1 have about 4 to 4.5 inches of ground clearance..maybe more. I also recommend buying spark plug wire sleeves to protect them from burning since they are so close to the header now. The stainless steel header stud kit definitely made this install so much easier.

Power Gains
Although I haven't had the car tuned yet, just riding around you automatically feel more power down low and a broader power band up top. These headers and y pipe definitely help the engine breathe better over stock!

Noise Level
At idle the exhaust is slightly louder than a stock ls1 with slp lm1 exhaust only. Accelerating from a stop light for example the exhaust can draw some attention and is raspy. Highway cruising the exhaust level is very deep and mellow. Now WOT punches.... the car sounds amazing and has a high pitch exhaust note that ALL ls1 engines should of had from factory lol. Its very hard to rate noise level since everyone has their own preference but personally on a scale of 1-10 my setup in particular is definitely an solid 8.

Motor & Transmission Mount Review
Prior to removing the worn GM motor mounts I remember never having any vibration issues inside the car at idle or while cruising highway. After installing Prothane engine mounts a vibration is present at all times. Almost as if I had Solid motor mounts. My GM transmission mount was shot completely into 2 pieces and caused a light cluck when going from P to R or D. The Prothane Transmission Mount fixed that problem.

My next set of mods will be LS6 Valley Cover ~> LS6 Intake Manifold ~> YankSS 4000 Stall ~> MS3 Cam ~> Handported 243 Heads. In that order.. so stay tuned and thanks again SPEED ENGINEERING!!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2 questions: Do the collectors run parallel to the centerline of the car or do they "turn in" like most other F-body headers? And can you get me the max width on the tubes where they cross the frame rails? My rails are only 26" apart...

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by S10xGN
2 questions: Do the collectors run parallel to the centerline of the car or do they "turn in" like most other F-body headers? And can you get me the max width on the tubes where they cross the frame rails? My rails are only 26" apart...

Thanks!
If I remember correctly the Passenger header is parallel with the car the driver side is canted outward slightly. You can tell a little in the last pic.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good and thanks for the ground clearance measurement! I'm awaiting for Speed Engineering to create their TD setup before I install mine. Where did you get the stainless manifold stud kit?
Old 08-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by _JB_
Looks good and thanks for the ground clearance measurement! I'm awaiting for Speed Engineering to create their TD setup before I install mine. Where did you get the stainless manifold stud kit?
No problem, try this item # on e bay 321486284564
Old 08-18-2014, 07:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

What all did you have to remove to get the headers to slid in? I.E. steering shaft, etc.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ddnspider
What all did you have to remove to get the headers to slid in? I.E. steering shaft, etc.
Well I removed a lot of other components since I was doing motor mounts and oil pan gasket. So it made the header install a lot easier.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the comments/review. Very much appreciated. For those that don't want to go though pages of comments on the other post, here is also a link to the Mufflex hanger that should solve any Y-Pipe vibration issues.

http://www.mufflex-performance.com/9...pter/61-y.html

Thanks Again
Sean
Old 08-18-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RBD_305
No problem, try this item # on e bay 321486284564
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's & ORY Review