Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ory: gas stink...emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ory: gas stink...emissions?

Hey guys,
I just got my 01' ss back from having ARH headers and ORY installed with a tune.

The sound difference is astounding. It really livens up the car. But boy does it stink.

I'm a tad worried it'll be too much for the inspection station to turn their head. I know others around are running ORY, but is there a trick to decrease the stink? Get the engine nice and hot?

Otherwise, maybe I'll just invest in the ARH catted Y? It should be a simple 3clamp swap right?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If u don't mind me asking which ones did u get couse I'm wanting to go arh as well and how big was the gain and I'm thinking of going catted y to from arh. Thanks
Old 08-21-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Hey guys,
I just got my 01' ss back from having ARH headers and ORY installed with a tune.

The sound difference is astounding. It really livens up the car. But boy does it stink.

I'm a tad worried it'll be too much for the inspection station to turn their head. I know others around are running ORY, but is there a trick to decrease the stink? Get the engine nice and hot?

Otherwise, maybe I'll just invest in the ARH catted Y? It should be a simple 3clamp swap right?

Even with an excellent tune on my '98 SS with QTP's and ORY she still stinks. A/F is perfect throughout the entire rpm range. My inspection is now past due because people I know just won't pass it anymore due to the heavy fines.

I'm going to have to go to a catted QTP Y-pipe but the funds just aren't there now. I've had this set-up for 6 years and wish I would have never bought the ORY...the catted version would've only cost me a few hp. Good luck Wayland!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car passed emissions fine with an ory even here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. Do they do a visual inspection where you are? Personally I liked the gas station smell. Emission stations smell anyway.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AFR can be "perfect" by the meter, on average, but with
long tubes (especially cool, at idle the mixture swings wide
about stoich because the sensors are slowed. So you get
a chunky rich+lean soup out the back, which has the stank.

You might try open loop idle just to see how much of it
has to do with closed loop mixture dithering (proportional
fueling) which responds poorly to sensors that don't act
stock.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, that smell you're smelling is the smell of power.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

My ORY LS1 stinks worse than either of my 69 GTO's. The O2's are further downstream than stock and just aren't as accurate as with stock manifolds. Nevertheless, with a good tune they'll work ok and your car will be fine. So if you don't like the smell, get cats, but if everything is good otherwise, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Ory: gas stink...emissions?