Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have Bassani TDs? Problem with muffler clamps...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have Bassani TDs? Problem with muffler clamps...

I am finishing up my Bassani TD install with my LTs and have run into a problem with the 2 muffler inlet clamps. These clamps fit around the muffler inlets and are supposed to tighten the pipes down that are coming over the axle and into the muffler. I have the clamps as tight as I can get them but it's still not enough to squeeze the muffler around the pipe and keep things from moving. The pipes still slide around inside the muffler and it changes the position of the muffler and, consequently the tips as well.

Does anyone that has this system have this problem and, if so, what did you do about it? I really don't want to weld anything as I want to be able to easily remove the muffler and/or pipes if necessary.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What kind of clamps does it have?

I like the stainless steel lap-style band clamps you can pick up on Summit etc. It can squeeze on the pipe going into the muffler as well as the muffler pipe as well.

Another option would be to have someone tack weld the pipe just to hold it in place. If you ever need to remove the system, just grind off the tack weld.

Also some beefy 1" wide band clamps could work because you can really clamp them on without deforming.

Try to use an impact gun on the clamps. I have found that tightening clamps with the typical 3/8" wrench and your arm sometimes doesn't quite cut it.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same issue what I found was simply that the band clamps didnt have enough clamping force to do it right. I got stainless u-bolt clamps and wrenched them down hard and no issues ever again
Old 09-24-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

On an expensive system like a Bassani, I would avoid those shitty u-bolt camps. Hell I would avoid u bolt clamps all together.

They make it a royal pain to remove/re-install the system because how they crimp the pipe. I turns a simple "slip fit" into a "hammer the **** together/apart" fit.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smitty2919

I like the stainless steel lap-style band clamps you can pick up on Summit etc. It can squeeze on the pipe going into the muffler as well as the muffler pipe as well.

Another option would be to have someone tack weld the pipe just to hold it in place. If you ever need to remove the system, just grind off the tack weld.

Also some beefy 1" wide band clamps could work because you can really clamp them on without deforming.

Try to use an impact gun on the clamps. I have found that tightening clamps with the typical 3/8" wrench and your arm sometimes doesn't quite cut it.
Bassani supplies some nice Accu-seal band clamps. Everywhere else the system has a nice flared fitting where one pipe fits inside of another and the clamp goes on top and seems to work great. In this scenario the pipes actually fit into the muffler and they are too loose inside so the band clamp actually bottoms out before squeezing the muffler pipe enough.

The problem with the lap band clamps is that my over the axle pipes need to slide into the muffler a certain amount to keep everything in alignment. A lap band clamp would be great if it wouldn't push out the pipes to far and throw the muffler and pipes off of each other. I have thought about a tack weld, but I don't weld and would like to keep it easy for me to do a removal/re-install on my own.

Originally Posted by redbird555
I had the same issue what I found was simply that the band clamps didnt have enough clamping force to do it right. I got stainless u-bolt clamps and wrenched them down hard and no issues ever again
Hey Redbird, I was hoping you would chime in since you have the Bassani system. I may try stainless u bolt clamps...have you removed your system with those? If so, how do they removing/re-installing? I usually try to avoid those u bolt clamps like Smitty commented, but in this case it might be my only option if I want to avoid a tack weld.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

havent removed it all the way, but i can tell you that when i did loosen it the pipes moved around pretty freely so i dont think it would be a problem. the bassani clamps just dont have the room or power to keep it in place. the u bolt clamps i dont think "crush" the stainless bassani pipe as much as a normal aluminized steel one so i think that helps.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Ahh...well a pipe being flared too big is a concern lol Along with the clamp bottoming out won't get you anywhere.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smitty2919

Like he said, try an impact gun on the clamps. I also have the bassani true duals and I had to use an impact gun on the clamps and also add extra hangers closer to the tips.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Empatho
Like he said, try an impact gun on the clamps. I also have the bassani true duals and I had to use an impact gun on the clamps and also add extra hangers closer to the tips.
Thanks for the tip. I will have to keep that in mind. Did you add an extra hanger on each side of the tips? Were the band clamps not enough to keep them from moving?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got the Bassani System too. Mine is seeming to do the same thing. I may just get it welded. Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Thanks for the tip. I will have to keep that in mind. Did you add an extra hanger on each side of the tips? Were the band clamps not enough to keep them from moving?
Yes, I added an extra hanger on each side. Without the extra hangers, the clamps were not enough to stop the tips from going down. I do have a cme so it does weigh a bit more then regular tips.

Quick Reply: Have Bassani TDs? Problem with muffler clamps...